cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received a negative feedback, next step?

Hello,

I received a negative today from a buyer who purchased on March 13th, delivered March 15th. Listing had 30 day free returns. The buyer did not contact me before leaving feedback. I am not a high volume seller and feedback is very important to me. I have not contacted eBay or the buyer yet. How should I approach this?

Thanks

Item 134974259006: Bug-A-Salt Black Yellow Original Salt Gun Kills Flying Insects Bugs Bug Assault

Negative feedback received: "The gun suck does not kill any flies"

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The feedback does not violate ebay policy.

I'm  pretty sure ebay will not remove it.

Buyers often do jump to leaving negative feedback with contacting the seller first.

You could reach out to the buyer and see if you can get him to do a feedback revision but i honestly think that would be a waste of time.

I would just respond with a short non-emotional reply that will make you look good to other future potential buyers.

Something like...

"Please contact me for a return and full refund."

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'd report it.
For some "suck" would be an unacceptable vulgarity.

But remember the ones reading the FB are your future customers.  The poor grammar and punctuation says a lot about the buyer.

Generally it is not a good idea to Respond to FB but you might try "I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return for refund. " and date the Response.

If they do follow up you can add a further Response " Returned 20/5/24 . Refunded same day."
Both should make you look calm responsive and professional.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

The feedback does not violate ebay policy.

I'm  pretty sure ebay will not remove it.

Buyers often do jump to leaving negative feedback with contacting the seller first.

You could reach out to the buyer and see if you can get him to do a feedback revision but i honestly think that would be a waste of time.

I would just respond with a short non-emotional reply that will make you look good to other future potential buyers.

Something like...

"Please contact me for a return and full refund."

Wouldn't this feedback be more of a review of the product rather than the Seller?

Seems like there may be an argument for this as well as with the vulgarity left.

Agree 100% on how to respond to the feedback if not able to remove it.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I would try to get it removed.   As @reallynicestamps  mentioned 'suck" may not be an acceptable word.   No guarantees but it's worth a try.   Many  times when buyers aren't happy they go right for the negative instead of contacting the seller first.  Since they already left a negative, I would reply just as the others have said,  "I'm sorry that you weren't pleased with your purchase.  Please return for a refund."   But make sure you don't say anything snarky, just matter of fact, so you sound like a professional seller.   Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@swbaird167 wrote:

Hello,

I received a negative today from a buyer who purchased on March 13th, delivered March 15th. Listing had 30 day free returns. The buyer did not contact me before leaving feedback. I am not a high volume seller and feedback is very important to me. I have not contacted eBay or the buyer yet. How should I approach this?

Thanks

Item 134974259006: Bug-A-Salt Black Yellow Original Salt Gun Kills Flying Insects Bugs Bug Assault

It is good practice (not required) to follow up with customers once they receive their product. Typically i reach out to them 1-3 days after they receive their product. I thank them and let them know that they can reach out to me with any questions and/or concerns. This can help squelch any emotional feedback the buyer may leave. Sometimes buyers buy items and have unrealistic expectations. Sometimes it is a gift and when they feel disappointed/embarrassed, feedback they leave is a way for them to vent. It is true you can not make everyone happy but you can keep the lines of communication open where they might just direct their disappointment to you rather than feedback.

I am not saying you did anything wrong and the feedback does "Suck".  Just giving some insight on how some may be able to prevent this from happening. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@chevymontecarlo88 wrote:

@swbaird167 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

It is good practice (not required) to follow up with customers once they receive their product. Typically i reach out to them 1-3 days after they receive their product. 

I disagree.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I do not think sending follow up message is good practice.

It's annoying and unnecessary.

Leave the customer alone. If you want to leave a thank you send it with the item.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply