cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about MP Holds for Return Requests?

Had a buyer submit a Return Request for a pair of pants that did not fit.  Of course, the amount they had paid was immediately frozen/placed into a "Hold".  I have a clearly stated No Returns policy and so when the Return Request was submitted it clearly stated at the top that I was NOT obliged to accept the request.  I sent the buyer a message and explained why I would not be accepting the request for her returning the item as it was related to a fit issues and no fault on my end as I had provided detailed accurate measurements, specifically to include the area of fit she had an issue with.  I then officially declined the request via the ebay system and the system now shows the request to be closed.  However the funds still show as being in the HOLD limbo. 

Anyone know how long it takes before they release HELD funds from a Return Request that is now closed? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Question about MP Holds for Return Requests?

What was the return reason? INAD? 

You might put "No Return" but that does not mean on eBay there are no refunds   

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Of course I am aware of that.  I have been forced by several buyers to accept returns because they will click on the INAD option as their reason for requesting a return and THEN turn around and clearly state in the notes that what THEY mean by INAD is that the item doesn't fit them.  Normally, they SHOULD choose the correct Reason for Return option given to them, one of which is Item Does Not Fit.  When the reason they are wishing to return the item is because the item does not fit they should be choosing THAT option, not SNAD.  Now, if the buyer is claiming that the item does not fit because the wrong size was sent or the measurements provided were inaccurate, THEN they have a valid reason to choose the INAD.

It is ONLY when the buyer is honest and clicks on the correct return reason option, Item Does Not Fit, will the seller receive the message at the top of the Return Request that they are not obligated to accept the return AND, further down, given the option to simply decline the return request. 

ANY TIME the buyer selects INAD, I know I am going to be forced to accept the return, regardless of my No Returns policy, even when the buyer states in the notes that the return request is actually for fit.....

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You might put "No Return" but that does not mean on eBay there are no refunds   

@coastaltechsolution 

When a seller has a "no returns" policy, and a buyer ACUTALLY requests a return for "Doesn't Fit" (instead of picking an applicable lie that indicates SNAD) , that is a remorse reason, and a seller has the option NOT to accept the return. 

Had the buyer picked "Not as described" and put in the comments "doesn't fit" then the MBG would take over, and the seller would at that point have to accept the return and provide the return label.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I guess I'm the only one who would take the return to avoid the neg. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I guess I'm the only one who would take the return to avoid the neg. 

@maros9416 

You could get the red donut anyway.  There are plenty of sellers that live in fear of a negative review, even though it doesn't count for anything anymore.   They will even refund and let the buyer keep the product for free to POSSIBLY avoid the negative review.  These are prime candidates for a "shakedown" attempt by a buyer. 

Personally speaking, since the  buyer DID tell the truth, I would  perhaps accept the return and let them return it on their dime.   You have to do what is best for you. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Usually takes a day for the "hold" to reverse and you see the funds again.  Sometimes it's a little less, but a day is my experience.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

In the terms of a clothing item that doesn't fit, there is nothing positive a buyer can get out of being ' stuck ' with a useless piece of clothing. 9 times out of 10 the buyer will let you know the same day it arrived that there is a problem. Scamming aside, the avg buyer wants to keep their item. I wouldn't let the buyer keep the item, I offer free returns so there is no excuse for them to send it back. It is a test of how serious they are about returning. I can still gain a positive feedback by offering courteous customer service and guiding them through the return policy and making it an easy process for them...The 100% feedback doesn't matter anymore after you get the 1st neg, until then I'd like to stay perfect for as long as possible. If someone contacts me, I can work anything out. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply