cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted listing fee

Is it just me or is the fee's for "promoted listings" a little on the insane side? I have something listed for $260 dollars and they want $82 for a promoted listing.  All these fee's seem like they are ment to punish the sellers and there is no way to recoup these cost and sell items at a reasonable price.  If I offer a fair shipping fee I am punished for that with a final value shipping fee so the alternative is to eat all the shipping cost or over charge for it . I get a final value selling fee. I get a paypal charge.  Insertation fees and on and on.  I dont mind one bit paying for services but running a store and bottom line just seems to be desitned for failure here.  Just dont get it. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Promoted listing fee

the PL fees are %'s and you can choose any % you want.......or you can choose not to use it at all.  You are in jewelry and I know nothing about the PL fees for that, but have never seen above 14% (and that only once) in other categories.........

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Since you control the fee ebay will take, then change or eliminate it.   It is another revenue producing idea ebay came up with but who knows if it really helps a seller or not.  Have you determined any benefit to using this?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Promoted listings are charged a percent that you specify.

You don't have to eat the shipping cost. You pass that on to your buyer. You can add other expenses into the item cost.

Promoted listings work for some. They may not work for everything or everyone.

Don't feel discouraged. Many can do well and they do. Wishing you great success.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

here is how you might be able to make it actually work with promoted listings;

You take an item you bought for 5 dollars and would have sold for twenty. Since you know you have to pay a 20% bid rate on promotional listings (and additional four dollar hit), plus you FVF etc, you list the item for 30 dollars. You get the top spot, item sells because - as PT Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute" somebody didn't look deeper into the results so you made an extra four bucks to not only pay for the PL costs, but the FVF & PP fees padding your profit margins. Since we're all good ebayers, we naturally have free shipping and free return shipping along with a nice 30 day return policy with our guaranteed delivery, not that GD matters with free shipping, which should help us meet all but the low price. Some good copy spin in our content and a catchy title should do the trick to catch PT's favorite customer.

Now the great part - everybody gets paid. Ebay makes 20 percent more on a transaction than otherwise - padding their P&L. You made more on your item, padding  your P&L. Customer gets what they paid for giving you a nice overall transaction.

The risky part is; the buyer gets the item and some wisdom realizing that they could have bought the same item for 20 bucks from another seller. The ol' buyers remorse on your otherwise nice transaction kicks in. So, since we're good eBayers we have to take the item back for free. Now we're out the shipping to and return shipping - but at least we get our FVF & PM Fee back! Woot! Trust me when I say, there are seller running the above deal in certain categories where it is easy to do with relatively unique items. 

To offset my cynicism on the issue, I suppose, if you sell enough stuff at way over price to make up the difference in the returns (and they don't ding your seller rating enough that you lose the ability to sell), no big deal, but I don't know a lot of small business owners that can not afford the bid prices and to eat all of that on returns much less the slim margins if you try to compete at a reasonable retail rate for merchandise. For big box sellers, it can be treated like a loss leader type of deal, though eBay is definitely not the most ideal platform for in store cross selling.

But in the end, not knowing a thing about PL, if I were to use the system, my prices are going to go way up to cover whatever added percentage I am going to have to bid on eBay to get that top spot. I just can't see how that is good for buyers.

Cheers

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

"You are in jewelry and I know nothing about the PL fees for that, but have never seen above 14% (and that only once) in other categories........."

I do promoted listings and have some vintage jewelry, quite a few times PL has said the trending rate was over 35%.  I don't recall any of the other categories I sell in being over 14% either.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

With sales being way down year over year by 50% I have been trying toe Promotional listing feature quite a bit.  I have also been lowering my prices when I get the not items are in someones cart trying to boost sales.   Both of these efforts have not really helped. it has been several days since I have had a sale. I sell the samme type items as last year, actually better items, more new items & less used items. Not wanting to be a complainer, what else can I do to get back my sales volume ? You can only lower the price so much. One last this, is everyone experiancing an increease in returns? The return shipping is killing me. HELP !!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I have been using the promoted listing but seen little evidence it helps.  Just my observation

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

After all the fees and cost why do we have to pay big promotion fees to get our items in front of people. It seems a bit of a scam...... we will list your item for xxx in fees but if you want people to see it you need to pay promotional fee to move to the front of the line....
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I totally agree... ebay is fee happy.  They are not in it to help sellers.     I'm to a point I'm not sure I want to continue selling on ebay.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

All these fee's seem like they are ment to punish the sellers

eBay's goal is to take as much of the transaction as eBay can, and the seller's goal is to keep as much of the transaction as the seller can.

eBay offers these 'promoted listing fees' because they think it will help accomplish their goal, and plenty of sellers seem to be obliging them.  

I dont mind one bit paying for services but running a store and bottom line just seems to be desitned for failure here.

There are plenty of people on eBay who are not failing, either with or without promoted listings.

If your bottom line is destined for failure with promoted listings, then stop using promoted listings. If your bottom line is also destined for failure without promoted listings, IMHO you need to rethink your business model. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@rollinspo wrote:
After all the fees and cost why do we have to pay big promotion fees to get our items in front of people. It seems a bit of a scam...... we will list your item for xxx in fees but if you want people to see it you need to pay promotional fee to move to the front of the line....

The best way to get visibility on eBay is not to pay eBay to move your items to the top of a big list of competing items. 

The best way to get visibility on eBay is to sell items that do not have a big list of competing items in the first place. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply