cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings Standard - Ad Rate Minimum Increasing (1% to 2%)

Got this e-mail from eBay:

We're continuously evaluating the performance and impact quality of Promoted Listings Standard as a tool to drive seller success. As part of this work, effective July 11, we’ll be changing the minimum ad rate for Promoted Listings Standard from 1% to 2%. While we recognize this impacts your business, this change will ensure your campaigns remain competitive in reaching buyers in our growing marketplace, and also allow us to deliver products and services that drive best-in-class returns for eBay sellers.

Just in the past year, we’ve added new Promoted Listings Standard features like an all-in-one campaign dashboard and downloadable reports that provide sellers with a convenient way to review important campaign data. On July 11, we’ll be rolling out a new feature that’ll allow sellers to edit multiple listings at once for both Bulk and Simple campaigns. This’ll make it quicker to adjust ad rates versus having to make manual changes for each campaign.

And there’s more to come.

Next steps

We’d encourage you to adjust your ad rates that are below 2% on or before July 11 to 2% or higher so that your promoted listings can continue to appear in advertising placements across the eBay network. If you decide not to make any changes, those listings will still be active but won’t be promoted.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

I think possibly Ebay is asking us sellers for help.  Without asking. So we are now at 15% minimum to be seen. Price increases.

Message 2 of 141
latest reply

I believe someone predicted this would happen on an older thread.  I personally don't use PL.  I'm a small seller and to be honest I just can't afford it.  I use social media and it's always worked for me. You are one of the more brilliant posters on these boards.  Would love to read your thoughts...

Message 3 of 141
latest reply

And there's more to come....

Message 4 of 141
latest reply

Must be all that inflation hitting eBay.

We're_All_Trying_To_Find_The_Guy_Who_Did_This_banner_1.jpg

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 5 of 141
latest reply

Just saw this...I use 1% across the board.  I'm a small shop and it does help to promote listings...however the fee hikes won't stop here, but I am going to stop here.  With as expensive as things already are, you would think they would want the help the sellers but ya ok!  They cannot have any more of my money...not even 1% more.

Message 6 of 141
latest reply

Well, looks like I will no longer use promoted listings. Can't keep giving ebay more and more while they give me less and less.

Message 7 of 141
latest reply

I will now be dropping promoted on everything other than my $1.99 cards which seem to rely on it to some extent.

Message 8 of 141
latest reply

From the email:

"this change will ensure your campaigns remain competitive in reaching buyers in our growing marketplace"

I promote most of my listings at 1%, which I realize is the lowest tier but it works well for me. Now if the minimum becomes 2%, and I choose to continue to continue promoting my listings, I'll still be at the lowest tier but I'm now paying twice what I did before. So how exactly does this help me remain competitive? Sounds like pure marketing-speak to me.

My initial reaction is to stop using promoted listings altogether because of this fee increase.

Message 9 of 141
latest reply

While we recognize this impacts your business, this change will ensure your campaigns remain competitive in reaching buyers in our growing marketplace, and also allow us to deliver products and services that drive best-in-class returns for eBay sellers.

Also, which kind of 'returns' do they mean in this sentence, item sales or items themselves? 🤣

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 10 of 141
latest reply

And we must all remember that the fee is now charged to the total sale, not just the item sale. 

Message 11 of 141
latest reply

Exactly as I feel too, I have about 1600 listings at 1% promoted, as soon as the hike goes into effect, ill quit all promotions.

Message 12 of 141
latest reply

I am currently removing promotions from thousands of listings. I used to do 1.1 percent on everything, even the stuff that didn't need it. Not anymore.

Message 13 of 141
latest reply

@tanyasjewelrybox wrote:

Just saw this...I use 1% across the board.  I'm a small shop and it does help to promote listings...however the fee hikes won't stop here, but I am going to stop here.  With as expensive as things already are, you would think they would want the help the sellers but ya ok!  They cannot have any more of my money...not even 1% more.

Agee with you, I rarely (almost never) play to pay, never will. If it works out here fine, if not I will survive. After covid, I'll never ever rely on one place to sell. eBay's about 4th on my radar. If it take 5-50% to sell an item, not worth selling to me. I am speaking of vintage items. As to new items, I'd never buy it on eBay unless in a crises.

Message 14 of 141
latest reply

Ebay will never stop to amaze with the creative ways they come with milking more out of the sellers. 

Increasing the min required ad rate to 2% is too conservative, should be 10%.

Ceo inoone needs pay raise, $34,000,000 annually out of our inventory, is poor wages...

Message 15 of 141
latest reply