cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Thailand buyer's address, please help.

Hello.  I sold an expensive scarf and it is supposed to go to Thailand.  While trying to print a label -  I am getting the error that the entry s too long for Street Address and has to be under 40 characters.  Looks like there are some repeated entries there, which is strange.  I contacted the buyer and asked her to adjust the shipping address in her profile as I am not going to modify the shipping address myself.  So she apparently did make the changes and even sent me print screens of her changes from profile.  It all looks good there.  However, I am still seeing the same "bad" address when try to print a label and cannot print it.  I tried different browsers, mobile, and ipad - same issue.  I gave it some time hoping it needs to be refreshed - no such luck, still same issue.  Not sure if it is allowed here to post print screens as it will contain her personal information.  The buyer has 850 feedbacks,  she is seller and buyer, based on her feedback, but nothing listed at the moment.  So I am puzzled how she did not run in this problem with her address before?  What should I do?  

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Problem with Thailand buyer's address, please help.

The problem is that even though the buyer made the changes to the shipping address it is not and will not transfer over to the address for the item you sold. You will need to tell the buyer you have to cancel the sale as a problem with their shipping address and relist the item and have them repurchase which will pickup the changes they made in their shipping address for the new sale. 

The other option would be to attempt to purchase the label outside of eBay from some provider like Pirate Ship and see if you can use the original full address. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Cancel the sale using "problem with address" and ask the buyer to then correct the address and repurchase.

Before I wised up and stopped international sales, I once had a buyer in India whose address included the term "across the street from the tennis courts"; she swore nobody else ever had a problem printing labels for her.....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I have this happen with international buyers all the time. It is an easy fix on your part.  Just go in to the edit section of the address and move some of the longer information into another line and push save.  If it is still to long you can write the information that didn't fit on the label itself.   Don't over think this.  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

"across the street from the tennis courts"

a1.jpg

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I have this happen with international buyers all the time. It is an easy fix on your part.  Just go in to the edit section of the address and move some of the longer information into another line and push save.  If it is still to long you can write the information that didn't fit on the label itself.   Don't over think this.  You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

While a viable solution to help out the buyer I prefer to work with them to provide a permanent solution that will help them to avoid problems in the future. I don't have this problem much these days since almost all of my international sales go through the GSP whom I assume also faces some of the challenges when creating the label for the international leg. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

her address has "nokorn in road" at the end.  😀

ok,  I am going to talk her first and then cancel the order and let her re-buy if she still wishes.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I just got done reading an article on Dubai I think

it was said they do not have street address or street names and they use landmarks just as you mentioned

I have had many Thailand addresses that were easy to manipulate

whenever I got in a jam I went to paypal, shipping

paypal shipping is much easier to get the label to print when you move the characters around on various lines.

the real problem is the address format problem not agreeing with pitney bowes who operates all the software for ebay and the USPS

@dbfolks166mt 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

While a viable solution to help out the buyer I prefer to work with them to provide a permanent solution that will help them to avoid problems in the future. I don't have this problem much these days 

There is no other solution that will permanently fix this problem.  That is why ebay has the edit button next to the address so the seller can use it for this type of problem.  By getting in touch with the buyer and offering to cancel the order so they can try to change shipping address and then make the purchase again is not a viable solution.   That sounds like a seller from H___.   Someone I wouldn't buy from.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Ask the buyer if there is a shorter form of her address.  For example,  some Thai addresses can be shortened by using the number for the village, even within a city.  The postal code alone will get it to the local post office.  And there is little concern to change the address if it is clearly just an edit and not a different address.    If you post the address I might be able to help shorten it as I have a home in Thailand and speak the language.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you everyone, I did what was suggested here and what felt like a right thing to do for me - I cancelled and relisted it, and let the buyer know why it was done.  If she decides not to re-purchase it - it is ok with me.  It is an expensive item (for me at least) and I would rather be safe than sorry. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@eugefunk wrote:

Thank you everyone, I did what was suggested here and what felt like a right thing to do for me - I cancelled and relisted it, and let the buyer know why it was done.  If she decides not to re-purchase it - it is ok with me.  It is an expensive item (for me at least) and I would rather be safe than sorry. 

That's too bad, all you had to do was click edit, as was already suggested, and put the extra letters onto the next line, i've done this at least 50x over the years on my int'l sales.

Often, int'l addresses are very long, especially places in S Amer

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

She just re-purchased it!  And now the address looks good and I can print the label.  

thank you every one for your help!  you are the best!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

She just re-purchased it!  And now the address looks good and I can print the label.  

thank you every one for your help!  you are the best!

Great news and excellent job in working with the buyer. Perm solution will prevent future sellers having to use shortcuts or kludge around the label process to get it to work. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply