cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price surge listings and selling fees?

With Wendy's planning on price surge fees on their"food" during certain parts  of the day.Lunch ,Dinner etc.

And others would soon follow if they get away with this.Can you see a time Ebay would add surge fees during the most popular peak times for sales and listings .

I could see this happening if this gets hold with today's corporate greed  and taking advantage of every situation possible.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Price surge listings and selling fees?

If a fast food chain raises it's prices during the lunch rush, people will go to those chains that are NOT raising their prices as there are many, many other options. They (as a group) are already adequately meeting that demand in those periods, so there is not a supply restriction. It's not the same as Uber surge pricing when there is a real shortage of available drivers in those surge periods. It would make zero sense for a fast food place to raise prices in those periods. Better to lower prices to get more market share, especially as the fixed costs per unit sale would go down. the more you sell. 

However, it costs money to keep that store open in the quieter periods. If you can generate more sales in those periods, that's a good.thing.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@mcw1627jed wrote:

Can you see a time Ebay would add surge fees during the most popular peak times for sales and listings .

I can't see this ever happening.

eBay and Wendy's are nothing alike. eBay buyers and sellers might be across the globe from each other - who's clock would they use?

If eBay raises fees, it would be across the board.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

BRILLIANT IDEA !!!

Whoever thought of it should be fired for rocking the boat.

Can you say Bud Light?

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@parrotfestival wrote:

I think the idea with Wendy's is that if the lunch line is packed to capacity and you can't serve everyone, then you raise prices until demand drops. ...

Or present this opportunity as an off-hours discount  rather than as a prime-hours surcharge.  Then you might not lose those price-sensitive customers who have some flexibility in their schedule, who can choose when to eat.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I used to get surges of sales on eBay. Usually a 4-bagger(4 sales within 5 -15 minutes). No more though. That stopped about 3 updates ago. Isn't it time for another update(drop in sales)?

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

BRILLIANT IDEA !!!

Whoever thought of it should be fired for rocking the boat.

Can you say Bud Light?

Non sequitur.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

It's a management shortcoming on staffing, not a time-of-day situation.

It's really not. I work retail; during the peak of Christmas shopping season we always have all of our registers open, but we still only physically have so many registers so we can only check out so many customers at a time. We can be fully staffed and the line can still only move so fast when there's a crowd.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@duffy4444 wrote:

It's a management shortcoming on staffing, not a time-of-day situation.

It's really not. I work retail; during the peak of Christmas shopping season we always have all of our registers open, but we still only physically have so many registers so we can only check out so many customers at a time. We can be fully staffed and the line can still only move so fast when there's a crowd.

Yeah, the solution is *really* to not go when everyone else goes - there's only so much strain any system can take.

As for Wendy's - if they can just bow out from the current climate of corporate greedflation, they could offer off-hour discounts to try to even out footfall.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I cant tell you how many times I've thought to myself...oh my god....its lunch time. I need to buy something from Ebay. When they told me it was cost 2 dollars more because its lunch time I decided....TAKE MY MONEY...I Must buy something from ebay...take it!" These are facts. 

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

When most of the listings were auctions, Ebay could have done this and increased their income.

A great many auctions were listed to end on Sunday evening.

With 30 day BIN listings that auto-relist there is no motivation to pay for a premium listing time.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

When most of the listings were auctions, Ebay could have done this and increased their income.

A great many auctions were listed to end on Sunday evening.

With 30 day BIN listings that auto-relist there is no motivation to pay for a premium listing time.

Back in the auction days I recall a lot of speculation floating around about "best time" and "worst time" to have an auction ending, I know there was a grain of truth to some of the speculation back in the day, particularly when we had to pay for each listing (though I never could get past the idea that someone would actually hover over a listing - that's what snipe services were for). I can see the ad campaign, though.

::clip art of orgasmically ecstatic people clustered around a device::

"Auctions have a 6% chance of ending with an even higher bid when they end between the hours of X and Y!  Take advantage of these peak times by listing during the hours of X and Y for only 10 cents per listing!"

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Can you imagine waiting in a slow line and watching the price rise 2,3,4 dollars as your standing there.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

That's good. Made me laugh out loud.😂

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

amazon has dynamic pricing and they do very well...

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Was not aware Amazon sold cheeseburgers.

Good thing for me that they don't. A drone delivered Baconator......

Message 30 of 32
latest reply