cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prediction Sales Will Drop. ( IF Lots of states Charge Internet Sales Tax )

Lots of states I am told in June.  Will start to charge.  A internet sales tax.  Not just e bay but many other sites I think will see falls in sales.  Due to this tax. Washington State for now is the only one cashing in. I think. But in June 12 more states are going to be added.  I am told. Maybe more you know greed.   And the now State Internet Sales Tax . Is a greed in my opinion.  Buyers are paying to much already. Why Washington State is killing its buyer's. Charging $2.40 to buyer on small box of wood extra because sold on Internet. They did not say in August all States are going to get greedy.  I hope online trade dose not come to this.  Just because someone one wants to sell a tree part. That has been taxed to death already.  Tax it some more.  I just hope buyers online are smart and buy before June or August. With best wishes to all my vent. 3/8/2019 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Prediction Sales Will Drop. ( IF Lots of states Charge Internet Sales Tax )

Since most states that charge sales tax also have use tax statutes on the books most buyers should have been paying taxes on their out of state purchases shipped into their state already.  So it could be said that it is the buyer's geed and not paying those taxes that have led to states passing facilitator laws.  Sort of depends on one's point of view.

Will more states pass facilitator laws like Washington State and Iowa?  Most likely.  Will it reduce the sales volume in states that pass such laws?  Possibly.  However, as more and more states pass them, it is likely that things will level out.

Of course, by states charging such taxes it increases the cost of the item to the end consumer.  So the consumer has less money to spend because they have to pay more for the things they buy.  However, if states don't receive revenue from somewhere, how can they provide the infrastructure required by their citizens? 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Sales tax is the law. It is what it is. Buyers and sellers will have to get used to it. I do think you are correct that all these increases (like the new shipping rates) will kill most smaller sales. You can`t tax someone into prosperity and it won`t be long that everyone will feel the backlash from this as it trickles back to the payees.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Currently Washington, Iowa and Minnesota.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I do not expect my online purchasing behavior to change.

I often purchase online to have the convenience of having it delivered to my home address without leaving home. Often pay tax already. Online purchase is not to avoid tax.

USPS puts it in my mailbox, or in my garage.  UPS/FedEx puts it outside my door, or in my garage.

If I have to drive 80 miles round trip to the nearest city to get something it costs me a minimum of about $15

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Had people been paying their state's use tax and not using the 'workaround' of avoiding sales tax within their own states - by purchasing online, the matter of an Internet Tax being collected for the states might possibly have ever come up. 

However, since we all know just how much people LOVE to pay tax on things and be responsible for the things they demand from their state - as you are proving - it isn't surprising that the states want their 'cut' for the services (fire, police, parks, roads, hospitals, sidewalks, handicapped access, public transportation, bike lanes, etc., etc.) their residents demand.

You see, the buyer is now paying the sales/use tax for purchases that they WOULD have had to pay if they bought it in their own state, in person, and/or declared it on their state's tax forms.

Yes, if all buyers 'buy early', they will be able to screw their state out of a little more money for providing the services that the buyer takes for granted.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

My pine tree has already been taxed to death. And most items on here taxes already been paid on it many times already. But now the Internet Sales Tax. Just a form of greed to tax a item to death. I know as a seller I will not pay it. But my buyers will. What a shame that other states got to cash in on a stupid new tax. On items that have been taxed many times over and over. 

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

I believe many will learn to accept the fact they have to pay tax. It's no different than buying from a store. We've been very lucky and just used to getting away without paying tax. There may be a slight drop but eventually will come back.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

There are three states currently charging sales tax for online sales, Washington, Iowa and Minnesota.

Getting greedy? Do you think all the brick and mortar stores who have been charging their state sales taxes for years are greedy?

This is the result of a Supreme Court ruling that states can legally charge state sales tax on internet sales.

It's not some individual states deciding to tax sales.  Eventually all states will phase this in.

In my opinion, it's only fair.  If I'm willing to pay state sales tax on the bath towels I buy at the WalMart store, why would I not be willing to pay state sales tax on the shirts I buy at Kohl's on line?

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

The previous issue helped to kill local businesses. Local small sellers had to charge sales tax but people selling online didn't. This was killing small local stores. I am happy the Supreme Court has extended sales tax to online. 

It is the most fair thing to do. I'd like to get stuff for free but it's an unrealistic goal. Everyone has to pay their way in this world.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

For most items that one can get at the local shop why on earth would someone pay Shipping and Sales Tax? Items that are difficult to find might still sell here? unless a local shop can order it for a customer?
Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@lovett-1000 wrote:

My pine tree has already been taxed to death. And most items on here taxes already been paid on it many times already. But now the Internet Sales Tax. Just a form of greed to tax a item to death. I know as a seller I will not pay it. But my buyers will. What a shame that other states got to cash in on a stupid new tax. On items that have been taxed many times over and over. 

Unfortunately, taxes are the way governments take in the revenue that they need to operate.  While I'm not sure about you "pine tree" most people tend to feel that they are over taxed.  Being that there are income taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes it appears that we are taxed both when we earn the money and when we spend it.  Then, of course, our heirs are taxed on it when we're gone.  Bummer!

Alas!  I'm not sure that refusing to pay any of the taxes levied is a viable option.  Governments have the power to collect payment by force if necessary.  It appears that the Internet Sales Tax is something that states have embraced to plug the loophole that many people have used to avoid paying use tax.  Of course, I suppose that the tax would also apply to any mail order or telephone order sales as well.    

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

There is a 100% chance that sale will drop.  They may rebound that will take time. 

I am a seller and a buyer. Well... I was a buyer. 

I live in Connecticut and eBay starting charging my state tax on April 1st.

I'm not boycotting eBay by any means but my purchases will be few and far between.  

I am 100% opposed to paying sales tax on used (virtual yard sale) items. 

For new items, I will be better off buying online from a major retailer where I will always get free shipping and I can shop through a shopping portal to get cash back. 

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

Yes just thinking how before 1 April.  By now I would have sold 5 or more items on averaged to Connecticut.  You are right on the 100% guarantee the sales will drop in these states. I am seriously thinking of getting off e bay or any online trade because of this. No use to sell here if my sales fall to very low averages in states that adopt this law.  Will not be worth the effort when all start to charge.  I hate that Conn. is now hurting their citizens.  E very thing you say is right on a yard sale items.    That taxes have been paid over and over on already. Or even new items are not sold on e bay by the big retailer.  They are sold mostly by private individuals.  That already paid tax when they bought them.  Like you if I by new online I mostly just go to the Wal Mart or big retail site and buy.  They was already charging taxes on everything anyway.  But no it is just like I say hurt the little man. Tax him for all his stuff over and over.  It is a way for sure to keep online trade from growing. Or making the Americans that live in the woods or long distances from big box stores.  Pay more to live.  I  am not looking forward for my South Carolina sales to drop next.  Thank you your a right person.  Not stupid like others that think this tax will help or is just. 

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

Amazon, Etsy and Walmart have been charging sales tax for over a year, they don't seem to be hurting
Message 15 of 37
latest reply