cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns almost makes the whole selling thing a waste of time (at least with clothing/shoes)

Profit margins nowadays are already so tight, such that even a small amount of returns makes turning a reasonable profit almost impossible. Just today, I have 2 automatically approved returns, due to improper fit. In case you hadn't observed, I am not a major department store. After acquisition costs, shipping, Ebay/PayPal fees and returns, there is virtually nothing left for my time. I am literally becoming afraid to check my messages daily in fear of another return. Time for another glass of wine!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Returns almost makes the whole selling thing a waste of time (at least with clothing/shoes)

I don't drink, but the returns sellers in clothing categories have to deal with might make me start drinking. That is why we sell very little clothes.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I don't think you are alone in this situation. I expect many sellers of clothing are very frustrated and wondering what to do.

Perhaps time to re-think what one is selling, especially here  on eBay.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Unfortunately, the more I sell, the more returns I will inevitably get. Additionally, the return rate has only increased in recent months/years, even though I am supplying more measurements than ever (am using Sizely program). Just isn't worth it anymore.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I don't think you are alone in this situation. I expect many sellers of clothing are very frustrated and wondering what to do.

Perhaps time to re-think what one is selling, especially here on eBay.

Cheers, I mean, thanks!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I'm not sure how many clothing items you have to sell ...

But if you have a lot, there may be another possibility.

Perhaps sell them in resale lots of 12 or so?

Comparable styles of clothing, but all in different sizes...?

Priced to attract those who resell here?

A reseller won't care if they fit them.

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Returns don’t bother me terribly, they are thankfully uncommon. I think possibly vintage buyers are more careful of measurements since they can’t rely on clothing sizes.

But also, I don’t often sell below $45 and I try to stay in the $80 range, give or take.

I get more returns than the old days, but I also sell more pieces in $85-120 range.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Many years ago I sold my professional camera equipment, in total around $18,000 Never had an issue. Now I would not sell one item with the worry of a return holding a paper book instead of a 200mm 2.0 lens and nothing eBay would do about it. eBay has made it too easy for scammers to play their games.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Returns for me this January have accounted for over 30% of my sales (13% return rate) so far this month. Its difficult to deal with considering I’m losing 2.9 or 4.4% plus shipping every time. I strongly recommend you reconsider selling clothing here, it’s just not a scalable business. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Returns for me this January have accounted for over 30% of my sales (13% return rate) so far this month. Its difficult to deal with considering I’m losing 2.9 or 4.4% plus shipping every time. I strongly recommend you reconsider selling clothing here, it’s just not a scalable business.

You are absolutely right about that. I don't see the ability to make any appreciable money on clothing sales. Just too many problems.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply