cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prediction Sales Will Drop. ( IF Lots of states Charge Internet Sales Tax )

Lots of states I am told in June.  Will start to charge.  A internet sales tax.  Not just e bay but many other sites I think will see falls in sales.  Due to this tax. Washington State for now is the only one cashing in. I think. But in June 12 more states are going to be added.  I am told. Maybe more you know greed.   And the now State Internet Sales Tax . Is a greed in my opinion.  Buyers are paying to much already. Why Washington State is killing its buyer's. Charging $2.40 to buyer on small box of wood extra because sold on Internet. They did not say in August all States are going to get greedy.  I hope online trade dose not come to this.  Just because someone one wants to sell a tree part. That has been taxed to death already.  Tax it some more.  I just hope buyers online are smart and buy before June or August. With best wishes to all my vent. 3/8/2019 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

You are wrong on line trade not taxing things already been taxed.  Did not kill small business.  They killed themselves or the state they lived in already killed them with over taxes.  Now the states are going to kill the right to free trade.  If I go to the flea market. I am not going to pay tax.  If I buy a old item from someone I am not going to pay them tax.   I do not want free.  I want to pay for what I get. But just feel it is so wrong to tax items over and over.  A total not fair law that is going to take online trade back a few notches.  And really here on e bay.  In the long run they will feel a huge crunch.  Small business will not see any more sales from this law.  Only big retailers that was charging a tax already.  Because of mailing. Online trade is high anyway.  Just another way to hold a tax all and tax over and over.  I have paid the state the county and fed gov. Tax already many times on my pine trees. Now people that buy product from them.  Pays a tax on them. The county I live in has taxed me more than was even paid for the land over the years. Or what it is worth. I do feel sorry for anyone who thinks they will get online make a honest buck. It is really a huge task getting harder. 

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

No the small retails are not greedy.  But the state tax is if it has no representation. And every state that phase this in is of greed. The tax is without representation.  You are right it is not the sellers problem but the buyers.  But as a continuous seller wanting to make sells.  This law has now I see for sure starting to get into my pocket. And I am not even paying.  Like the Conn. buyer said they will not be buying as much.  I am seeing the drop from the states that charge it.  The supreme court is wrong and out of touch with main stream America.  We want less taxes not more. And if we are going to be taxed. At least give us some fair representation for the tax.   

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Etsy has fell apart and did not always charge wrong.  Wal mart is big retail always charged. You must realize they are all new from them so taxes should be charged.  On e bay you have lots of individual seller. Mostly selling things that taxes been paid already. This law has no representation and is wrong.  And yes it is going to put on line trade in a slow down mode in those states.  In proof alone my sales dropped drastic in the states that already adopted.  Wal mart already are making cuts. And etsy fell a long time ago.  

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

I agree with everyone who says that the very long grace period is over for some of use who enjoyed shopping without paying taxes on it.

For large scale sellers and expensive items, buyers will quickly learn to lower their bid by the amount of tax (just as they bid lower when a seller has unreasonable shipping fees. Most small time sellers will not be affected.

One thing that is unreasonably "greedy" is a tax on USPS. (I am not talking handling) but they shouldn't be allowed to tax the actual money paid to the US postal service. I believe that the USPS is exempt. So, if a seller lists shipping that is exactly what the USPS was charged, there should either be no tax on the shipping or the buyer should be able to get a full refund for that amount without/outside of filing income tax. Like a business filing tax collected, the consumer should be able to file quarterly and get a refund for taxes paid for USPS.

Nobody has addressed that, It seems like something for the supreme court?

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

They provide infrastructure by taxing you home land the money you make on your job tax. Charging almost or more $100.00 or more fore every car in their state tags every year.  They get plenty of taxes already.   But going to tax more and more.  Almost 30% of every $ made is taxed out of hard workers salary.  Then they tax your home car and every $ you got every year.  That should be plenty of $ to keep up a half butt from the start paved road in good order.  Anyone who defends a internet tax is wrong. Certain State governments that adopt is wrong. You said however if the states do not get the $ from somewhere. They are getting plenty already. America is taxing its citizens to death already. With everything so outrages high priced anyway.  It is sad to thing maybe before you die you may be taxed fro every breath you take.  But this is things that just make the $ worth less.   

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Another advantage for China sellers, they won't be forced to collect & remit the tax.

Thinking direct sales, not on ebay etc.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

No biggie on tax my problem with it when Ebay collects it from Washington State etc other states they charge tax on the shipping also which shouldnt be taxed.

Example sell something for $1.00 + $4.00 Shipping ebay will charge tax on full $5.00 making some cases a increase of price 50 percent on the item for the buyer which is a rip off. Also when ebay sends quarterly coupons for shipping supplies for free they charge you tax even though no money exchanges hands which is **bleep** and not legal. I get $100 coupons from Rite Aid to move mediaction back to them every month which I can use on anything else in store. Never get charged a cent in Taxes until pass the $100 Mark

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

WERE Chinese sellers actually collecting state sales taxes (possibly illegally)?

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

According to WA DOR if the item is taxable the shipping and handling are taxable.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

As this comes into play, it may eventually in part bring business back to malls and stores. Most states have state tax in place, but one does not have to pay shipping. Perhaps, as Amazon offers free shipping and returns especially Prime; eBay and other online venues will have to offer the same to stay competitive.

For myself as a very small seller this will close my endeavors on eBay.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@gamelocker_va wrote:

No biggie on tax my problem with it when Ebay collects it from Washington State etc other states they charge tax on the shipping also which shouldnt be taxed.

Example sell something for $1.00 + $4.00 Shipping ebay will charge tax on full $5.00 making some cases a increase of price 50 percent on the item for the buyer which is a rip off. Also when ebay sends quarterly coupons for shipping supplies for free they charge you tax even though no money exchanges hands which is **bleep** and not legal. I get $100 coupons from Rite Aid to move mediaction back to them every month which I can use on anything else in store. Never get charged a cent in Taxes until pass the $100 Mark

It is legal

https://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-discounts-coupons-promotions/

Depends on the issuer of the coupon/discount and varies a bit from state to state, but tax can legally be collected depending on the type of coupon/discount

The seller, Bascom, is actually being paid by eBay (third-party) for your purchase and thus must charge tax on the full amount as it is revenue.

eBay's coupon clearly states it is for the purchase price and excludes taxes.

Bascom isn't giving you the discount else the discounted price would be deemed the "true cost" and wouldn't be taxable. eBay is giving it to you and it's no different, tax wise, than a mfg rebate. Even though it's applied at the time of purchase, it's treated as a discount after purchase.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

If you sell the same stuff as Walmart, absolutely.    However, if your items can not be sourced locally why would the sales drop.  Remember, despite all the whining about the unfair competition, B&M stores won't lift a finger to increase the number and range of products they carry.   Many of them will also see the Internet tax as a license to raise prices.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

Speaking for myself, I wonder if eBay can keep up with just what IS or isn't taxable for every state in the union.  

And IF mistakes are made, how I would go about getting my money refunded?  We all know what a joke the customer service can be here at times.   

It is particularly irritating to have to pay tax on shipping and handling.    If wages were keeping up with these costs, it wouldn't be that big of a deal but (CENSORED) how many more hands in the pocket do we need?! 

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

I know lots of people who are searching different sites to buy from now that haven’t added sales tax yet. I’m sure it’s going to take a hit. 

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

I stopped buying on eBay and Amazon.  I do craigslist,  offerup and 5 miles among others and pay cash,  but I wont pay sales tax on the internet thats unconstitucional especially on used items that were previously taxed. 

Message 30 of 37
latest reply