cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please...I can't take much of this anymore. Where is the Humanity?

I am working my ass off trying to make an income selling on Ebay and it seems to be one scam artist after another. Todays gem,2 Weeks after purchase I recieve this email from the buyer "Please send me a return label, my fiance does not like it". It will cost me more in shipping than the cost of the item. This buyer knows it very well and most likely has done this to the 500 other sellers before me. When do you just say "stick it " to the buyer and ride out the results? ARGH!!!

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

"Weeks after purchase I recieve this email from the buyer "Please send me a return label, my fiance does not like it". It will cost me more in shipping than the cost of the item."

----

You got an email, or a message through eBay's message system?

"doesn't like it"?   Does your return policy allow remorse returns?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I find that happening mostly with eBay newbies. They are used to buying on Amazon and believe they can return everything at no cost to them. Change your return policy to where the buyer has to pay for the return postage.  That usually takes care of this problem.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@tr3ats wrote:

It will cost me more in shipping than the cost of the item.

Don't offer free returns.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Agree - for many items 'free' returns is just a trap.  And I don't believe it's 'table stakes' - you're not selling everyday commodities, you're selling unique items.  If you're doing it for the 10% discount on FVFs, remember that this is only $1 on every $100 you sell - it can get wiped out immediately.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

This buyer knows it very well and most likely has done this to the 500 other sellers before me.

This buyer has every right to return the item at your expense, because you offered to take returns at your own expense. 

Your listings all have "free returns" on them. Free returns means you are agreeing to pay for a return label for any buyer who want a return ... for any reason whatsoever, including "my girlfriend doesn't like it".

When do you just say "stick it " to the buyer and ride out the results?

A better question might be "when will I accept responsibility for my actions and stop blaming the buyer?" 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

You offer free returns.

Free returns means you accept and pay for any return no matter the reason, or for no reason at all. The buyer is doing nothing wrong. 

If you do not want to accept and pay for returns for any or no reason, then go to buyer paid return or no returns. Don't offer free returns and then come complaining that a buyer wants to return.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I don't understand what "humanity" has to do with it.   Buyer buys, and wishes to return it.......  Returns are part of any retail business.......    You can't know what the buyer actually knows.....and further, it makes no difference.....you accept returns.......you accept returns.  As far as return shipping will cost more than you paid for the item is concerned.....that's something you have to take into consideration when YOU list an item. 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

You never say "stick it to the buyer" when you offer free returns.  Really, at this point, you have zero rights to not accept a return.  You should either go with buyer-funded return shipping IN YOUR LISTINGS or add a few percent into your selling costs to cover such events. 

I really don't get sellers that offer something, then complain that buyers take them up on their offer.  I offer free returns on everything - largely because buyers in my category are amazing, and the free returns policy gives new buyers peace of mind, if they don't (yet) trust me.  

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I agree with the others here:  It's time for you to reconsider your "Free Returns 30 days" policy if you think buyers are abusing it and / or it is costing you too much for the goodwill it buys.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

You must have a very low return rate for the math to work to your advantage to offer free returns based on what you sell.  I would never have the confidence to offer free returns on items with shipping costs like yours.

If the time frame still allows for this return and they file a return case, then you must allow it, or ebay will force the issue and award you an unresolved by seller defect.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I offer free retunrs and I think its a good program.My stuff is cheap to ship so the 20 returns I get a year only comes out to $200 round trip at the most,its all shipped 1st class and comes back that way.If I pay $3.80 to ship a package that is what I get charged for the return label

I think the real issue is going to be the new auto approve returns policy that went into effect in september for everyone thats in MP now,its sort of like free returns accross the board for many sellers

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Yes, you have to add the costs of these free returns into the prices of your items to make up for these. That is how to handle this best.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Yes, the TRS discount does not cover lots of free return shipping especially if you are offering a more expensive get it tommorow shipping service. You must add the costs of these hypothetically into the costs of the items, across the board based on your typical shipping cost. Plan ahead for this becuase returns are going to happen on your dime here.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

If it cost more to pay for return shipping than the item is worth, just either offer the customer a partial refund to keep or refund the buyer in full with no return at this point. 

Then, update to a more appropriate return policy for your store and move on.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply