cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick up only sales

I have some valuable comics to sell-how does pick up work and does it gain enough attention? Thanks

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Pick up only sales

The #1 thing about eBay listings that are local pick up only, is no one reads listings

and 90% of the time someone 5,000 miles from you will buy them and pay you and 

expect you to ship for free. 

I had to stop doing local pick up on eBay because of this but I know others have had

success.

eBay will send a code that needs to be scanned at time of pickup to prove your item 

was "shipped", so it's good to read up on that part of a local sale.

eBay Seller Leader: Detroit-Ann Arbor In-Person eBay Networking Events
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

If they're valuable enough someone will make a trip. 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

What the above poster mentioned. But yes, the biggest problem is that you will get someone that is not local buy the item and then you will have the pleasure of dealing with that headache. Perhaps do a local platform, that will be more relevant to your area. Flea market, etc. Before anything, at the very least try to find what they are selling for, and then determine from there. Best to be prepared on what to get. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Adding local pickup to your listing

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-pickup?id=4181

You might want to add something in the title if there is room as some buyers don't seem to read everything  leading some buyers to expect shipping. I also think ebay's "Shipping: Free local pick up" is rather ambiguous as it should say "No Shipping" in red letters.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

only locals will consider buying. you might as well have them on craigs list.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I have lots of stuff running with local pick-up only.    You have to plaster it throughout the listing.  Or list it with a Best Offer option and contact the person making offers to be sure they understand local pick up only.  

Sometimes it works, sometimes I have sold items buyers have never picked up.  

Only accept payment in person for these items.  Cash, USPS money orders are pretty safe, that's about all I would accept. 

If an item is desirable enough people will travel to get it.  I had guys come clear across the country for a '53 Chevy convertible that would have split in two if you opened both doors.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

You will have 10,000 more potential buyers of those comics by shipping them. Locally you will be very lucky to get them sold. There are many times local pickup buyers do not pay attention since 99.9% of items sold on ebay are shipped. It could lead to problems. Good luck though.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I agree with titipeo, I don't think local on eBay is worth the fee's you pay, most sellers are willing to pay for those fee's because of the huge traffic eBay gets and of course local negates that.

Sell locally on another marktplace and save yourself the pitfalls that can befall you here.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I had a '66 Mustang like that- I couldn't even open the doors. I took it to a welding shop, they jacked it up in the middle and welded in a roll cage. The doors would open and it looked cool rolling down the street with the top down. But it was so rusted that even with the top up, you still got soaked in the rain. From below.

Ah, the good old days, when I was young enough to not give a sh-t!

It was a Massachusetts Mustang.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

How does listing and selling an item with local pickup negate the fees sellers pay?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

"How does listing and selling an item with local pickup negate the fees sellers pay?"

It doesn't, if sold on eBay; I think that is why Downunder's advice was to sell it through another venue that does not charge fees.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Because you are in the biggest Metro area in the US you should have no problems finding a buyer.   When the pick up occurs do it in a public location the local PO or Police Station.

Offering local pickup | eBay

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I would NOT suggest a flea market, as those shoppers look valuable products they are able to purchase for next to nothing.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

How does listing and selling an item with local pickup negate the fees sellers pay?

No, sorry probably worded it wrong - ''most sellers are willing to pay for those fee's because of the huge traffic eBay gets and of course restricting a listing to local pickup negates that traffic.

It sounded right in my head LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 15 of 18
latest reply