cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying final value fees on shipping

I don't understand why I am paying final value fees on shipping. Shipping isn't income for me or anyone else. I have to use it to ship the item duh. Shipping does me no good except sending the item. So I get nothing for shipping except a fee. Has anyone confronted ebay about this? It's wrong.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Paying final value fees on shipping

One time we had listing fees that were tiered based on your starting price.  For example people would list items at $9.99 because it cost only .25 to list but if you started the listing at $10.00, only a penny more you paid .50 listing fee instead. Then you paid like .35 for each picture or something like that on top of that. 

My fees actually went down when they started doing the fvf on shipping and got rid of those other fees at that time.  

Back then it wasn't fair for honest sellers selling $100 widgets when their competition selling the same widgets for .99 with $99 shipping to screw ebay out of their listing fees.  The honest seller paid $5 to list when the dishonest person only paid 10 cents 

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

You really got love this sham of a scam by eBay.  So I just sold and item for 10 dollars, the shipping was 8 dollars printed label USPS.  So on that 8 dollars I am now charged 80 cents by eBay and 80 cents by Paypal.   I mean really folks, the executives are so sneaky and greedy.   

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

You only paid 23 cents to PayPal on the $8

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Tell us how you really feel about Amazon, because they have been doing it for much longer than eBay.

@slippinjimmy $8 in paypal is 53 cents (2.9% plus 30c).
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:
Tell us how you really feel about Amazon, because they have been doing it for much longer than eBay.

@slippinjimmy$8 in paypal is 53 cents (2.9% plus 30c).

That would be true if the buyer was only paying for shipping.  But it was for the product too.  IMHO your transaction fee in PP should be included in the costs you use to then arrive at an appropriate product price.  It doesn't belong as a cost of shipping unless that is all you are selling.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@tjlin-39 wrote:

Y'all realize that most of the bigger sites charged fvf on shipping (or as they call it total price) and did so long before eBay?

True.  I know Ebay is often called out for this, but Amazon started charging this before Ebay did.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@fuzzface50 wrote:

One time we had listing fees that were tiered based on your starting price.  For example people would list items at $9.99 because it cost only .25 to list but if you started the listing at $10.00, only a penny more you paid .50 listing fee instead. Then you paid like .35 for each picture or something like that on top of that. 

My fees actually went down when they started doing the fvf on shipping and got rid of those other fees at that time.  

Back then it wasn't fair for honest sellers selling $100 widgets when their competition selling the same widgets for .99 with $99 shipping to screw ebay out of their listing fees.  The honest seller paid $5 to list when the dishonest person only paid 10 cents 

I remember the tiered listing fees.  You also paid for pictures then.  You would see listings with just one picture.

In the .99 with $99.00 shipping, it wasn't only the listing fees that varied; there wasn't an FVF on shipping so those who listed like that were practicing fee avoidance big time, so Ebay closed that loophole.  Those who listed with the actual item price and shipping paid more in FVF.  

Message 37 of 37
latest reply