cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying final value fees on shipping

I don't understand why I am paying final value fees on shipping. Shipping isn't income for me or anyone else. I have to use it to ship the item duh. Shipping does me no good except sending the item. So I get nothing for shipping except a fee. Has anyone confronted ebay about this? It's wrong.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I agree but it is just another source of income for ebay. So many things have been handled wrong with this company that it is hard to understand how it has not been regulated by now? I keep hoping for changes but never see them!

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

This is just another fee that is unfair for sellers. If you have not had to deal with a return wait for that one. eBay will freeze the Pay Pal transaction and then take money out to pay for a return label for the buyer to return a item for any reason. I don't think eBay will be around much longer if they continue to make it unfair to sellers. Insertion fees, final value fees, Pay Pal fees and all the overhead costs sometimes amount to 50%. If you lose money on shipping it can be more. 

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

They did it because people would sell a $20.00 item for $5.00 but charge $15.00 for S&H. Now they did not pay fees for shipping. just fees for the $5.00 item. 

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Correct, not income. That is why you are able to deduct the postage, and the fee charged on what you were paid for shipping.

My buyers pay for shipping, and the FVF  associated with that shipping.

It is included in the payment that they make for the item. That payment also covers the PayPal fee, original cost of the item, box/padded envelope, toner, paper, tape, taxes.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

You don’t get to keep the money you paid for the item either.npostage is an expense just like any other expense.

Do you really think it is fair to charge higher fees to a seller who uses “free” shipping for an item vs someone who uses shipping and handling?

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Btw when eBay extended Fvf to shipping they dropped the percentage on some sales, started giving free listings AND free pictures.

Would you rather pay 15% on your item price?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

I don't understand why I am paying final value fees on shipping.

You are paying it because eBay charges it. 

Has anyone confronted ebay about this?

You are about the 1,000th person to post about it here. I'm not sure how one "confronts" eBay. But I can say I have not read any posts here asking people to join then on their front steps with protest signs. 

It's wrong.

It's not illegal, and there are 1.1. billion listings here that are clearly willing to pay it. 

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

it is hard to understand how it has not been regulated by now? 

eBay is regulated, as is every company in the United States. 

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I am a seller and I want eBay to charge me and everyone else a fee on shipping and handling at the same rate they charge on the price of the item. 

If eBay did not charge a fee on shipping and handling, sellers who have "free shipping"  would be paying a fee on S&H and sellers who charged for S&H separately would not be paying a fee on it.  That would be very unfair to sellers who have "free shipping".

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

Wow, I’d forgotten! 35 cents per listing without a store, and 5 cents per listing with a store, if I remember correctly.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

While I agree the fee is annoying, it isn't like Ebay is the only site that does it.  Most similar sites do the same thing.  So if you are serious about selling online it is just something we all must learn to deal with.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

Wow, I’d forgotten! 35 cents per listing without a store, and 5 cents per listing with a store, if I remember correctly.

35 cents without a store

30 cents with a starter store

25 cents with a basic store

10 cents with a premium store

5 cents with an anchor store

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

The problem with having a store is adding a monthly fee on top of all the other fees with sales being low is too much of a risk. At 1 time this might have been a good solution but unless sales pick up I just cannot take that risk right now. That is why after 2 1/2 years without any promotions and doing everything else right I am pretty discouraged as to how unfair this seems. The only answer I ever get is that it is random but after all, how random can it be after 2 1/2 years???

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

The problem with having a store is adding a monthly fee on top of all the other fees with sales being low is too much of a risk. At 1 time this might have been a good solution but unless sales pick up I just cannot take that risk right now. That is why after 2 1/2 years without any promotions and doing everything else right I am pretty discouraged as to how unfair this seems. The only answer I ever get is that it is random but after all, how random can it be after 2 1/2 years???

For those that sell on a regular basis.  A store can carry great value and worth the monthly fee.  For example a Basic Store.  The monthly fee for this store is 21.95.  For your first 100 items listed in a month you save with the store you save $35 a month in listing fees.  Which this benefit alone more than pays for the monthly fee.   And there are several other benefits of a store that are very useful for many.  

So yes, stores have good value and save sellers that can utilize them money every month.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 37
latest reply