cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass our shipping discount on to buyers? I don't think so . . .

Did you get the notice from Ebay? To help sales they suggest the seller pass the shipping discount on to the buyer?  It doesn't affect me as much now that I've switched to Free Shipping on most of my listings, but, really? Any shipping discount given to the seller is one Ebay has worked out with the shipper for the benefit of the SELLER. It's an incentive. Don't give it up. 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Pass our shipping discount on to buyers? I don't think so . . .

I have been passing my shipping discount on to my buyers for years.   I usually do auctions with calculated shipping cost charged to the buyer, and the lower shipping cost they see, the higher they will most likely bid on my auctions.  So I feel that the discounted money I lose by giving it to my buyers comes back to me when they bid a little higher, figuring that most buyers nowadays know that their final cost is price for the item plus shipping.

As far as free shipping, don't even get me started.  Free shipping is nothing but a lie because there is no such thing, and the idea of it just promotes BIN listings with the shipping cost built in, aka hidden.  Free shipping has all but killed the one thing that put eBay on the map to begin with, AUCTIONS, and it will eventually wipe out all of the smaller ma and pa type sellers when all buyers finally smarten up to the fact that there is no such thing as free shipping.

Now that auctions are almost dead, I find myself unfortunately having to do more BIN listings with Best Offer, playing the deceitful game of hiding my shipping cost into the BIN price and calling it free shipping, ugh.

I use the auction format almost exclusively and almost always use calculated shipping and I don't have a problem making sales. I don't pass along the shipping discounts to the buyers since I have found that any savings between the retail price the buyer pays and what  the label actually cost me is consumed by the eBay FVF's on the shipping and my packing materials. 

That being said since shipping costs can vary drastically based on the buyers location prior to actually shipping an item I will look for opportunities to save the buyer some on the shipping cost by looking for alternative methods to ship the item without impacting the delivery time or service. This generally happens with ground advantage items, which is my default shipping method, but I find that I can ship the item cheaper by priority mail using a flat rate envelope or box or by using ground advantage cubic or priority mail cubic. If the difference is significant I simply notify the buyer and issue a shipping discount refund. 

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

IF OPTING OUT of eBay's variable rate structure for shipping will that BOUNCE you in search rankings?  Aka: Is eBay integrating the usage or non-usage of the program into search results?

I think you are asking whether opting not to allow your customers to pay shipping based on your cost will hurt you in the search result rankings. I believe the answer is yes and that it has been since before I started selling here. I understand that eBay's search algorithm factors in the total cost to the customer in ordering the results and the "by price" sort explicitly sorts by price including shipping. So competitors that are offering customers their shipping discounts will be at a competitive advantage in search results, all else being equal. 

They may have an advantage if they are passing along the shipping discounts but all else being equal they are also experiencing a lower ROI/Profit since the seller is absorbing and paying the cost of the FVF's on the shipping. There is no easy answer and every option alternative has trade offs. It's just a matter of what the seller is comfortable with. 

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Literally just got the notice today and have opted out.  By the time I pay for extra insurance for any of the carriers because they purposefully handle everything roughly, I am left with not even enough to cover the Ebay fees over the cost of that shipping and the tax for that matter.  I have been successful as of late selling many items locally for less but still more than I would end up with on Ebay given the fee for everything mindset.

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply