cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package most likely lost by post office, eBay refunded the buyer and took my proceeds!?????

I sold a $400 item, the buyer opened a case because they never received the item, it was shipped next day with all the tracking and seems to be stuck in the USPS system most likely lost,  but eBay awarded the buyer their refund and took my sales proceeds.

So I call eBay they say that Im covered by seller protection. After weeks of my appeal they declined it.... What is this non sense??  

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Package most likely lost by post office, eBay refunded the buyer and took my proceeds!?????

Ebay doesnt cover items lost in the mail, no matter what msinformation you were given. Did you have insurance on the package? You can also file a lost pkg trace on the item with the USPS.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 78
latest reply

Re: Package most likely lost by post office, eBay refunded the buyer and took my proceeds!?????

Do you have any insurance on the package?  You could file a claim if so.   I know of no protection from ebay for lost packages.

Message 3 of 78
latest reply

Seller protection would have covered you if the buyer claimed nondelivery IF you had proof of delivery.

With no proof of delivery, there is no eBay coverage and all you can do is file an insurance claim. AFAIK all domestic packages automatically include $100 of insurance coverage, including USPS Priority Mail and Ground Advantage.  So that would be the limit of your coverage unless you purchased more.

Message 4 of 78
latest reply

In the past (one similar situation during that Christmas Covid fiasco period) with USPS, my item tracked in Detroit, never to be seen again. Customer was made whole, I filed insurance with USPS (around 140.00 I recall) and was covered by Postal Insurance......

Dunno if that helps you, but the customer does have to be made whole in these unfortunate situations.....

Message 5 of 78
latest reply

That's the way it works, if the buyer doesn't receive their item, you have to refund.

If USPS lost it, file a claim with them if it was insured.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 78
latest reply

Alas, a lost package by a carrier is solely between the seller and the carrier.  The buyer must be refunded.  You might be able to collect insurance from the carrier but if the package is found it will be delivered to the buyer and no insurance will be issued.  Even if the package is not found collecting insurance from a carrier is like pulling hen's teeth.

Message 7 of 78
latest reply

Didn't you insure it? 

Message 8 of 78
latest reply

$400?

Simple fix of a stress-free shipment would have been to entertain priority mail and signature required. 

Message 9 of 78
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

$400?

Simple fix of a stress-free shipment would have been to entertain priority mail and signature required. 

How would that make any difference if the package is lost before it gets to the buyer?

Sig isn't required unless transaction total is $750+

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 78
latest reply

IMO: If you sell an item or three per week and sort of new to this eBay shipping thing.  By all means, add insurance when you make a label.  It'll probably only cover you if the item is LOST (damage claims being covered are few and far between).
Insurance just depends on the person I guess.
My other opinion: If you ship several items a day, have done this for way too long?  Don't insure anything, or use your better  judgement on expensiver items.  
I've gotten pretty numb to the whole refund thing. Which includes lost, damaged, returns, returns that aren't mine, scam returns, and just the whole general everything.   I just follow through "quickly" with reporting buyers that have done me wrong, and go on my way.  
Not always, but most of the time.

Message 11 of 78
latest reply

As others mentioned the issue of the lost package is between you and the carrier generally. You did not specify any information about what the item was and I do not see a $400 item in your sold listings. Several that are close but no exact $400 item. 

A number of those items went through authentication centers if it was one of those was the package lost before it got to the authentication center or after the authentication center forwarded it. If it is the later you have some protections against the loss. If it was before then you would need to file a claim with the carrier. It looks like most of your items ship USPS priority mail and/or ground advantage both of which automatically come with $100 of insurance. 

While damage claims are hard to win lost packages are not. I have had two packages lost by USPS in the last two months. I refunded the buyers and then filed claims for both, and been reimbursed by USPS  for both the item and the postage cost. Following is the timelines for filing insurance claims with USPS. 

time.jpg

Message 12 of 78
latest reply

@northwestnirvana wrote:

I sold a $400 item, the buyer opened a case because they never received the item, it was shipped next day with all the tracking and seems to be stuck in the USPS system most likely lost,  but eBay awarded the buyer their refund and took my sales proceeds.

So I call eBay they say that Im covered by seller protection. After weeks of my appeal they declined it.... What is this non sense??  

Customer service lied to you.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 13 of 78
latest reply

@northwestnirvana wrote:

...  So I call eBay they say that Im covered by seller protection. After weeks of my appeal they declined it.... What is this non sense??  

The "nonsense" is what the CSR told you, if that CSR actually said that you have some sort of eBay seller protection against lost parcels. 

Some untrained, badly paid, overworked CSR with no authority told you want you wanted to hear to get you off the phone so s/he could take the next call to meet quotas for the day.

If a parcel is lost, the buyer must be refunded and then you must go after the carrier for reimbursement.  eBay has no contract with the carrier for delivery, and nor does the buyer, but you do. 

So, without further delay, you need to work with USPS to see if the parcel can be found.  If it is, you can sell it again.  If it is not, you should be reimbursed on the insured amount.

-

Message 14 of 78
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

$400?

In looking at the OP's sold items in the $400 range, it looks like priority mail was used and there's $100 insurance on that. 

But at that pricepoint, s.c. wouldn't have been any additional protection, particularly in a case in which tracking stopped.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 78
latest reply