cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Once Again, My Store And Funds Are Being Held Hostage By A Scammer

Six months ago, I sold a box of used trading cards for $850. I do not ship internationally, but the Australian buyer circumvented this by having a 3rd party U.S. shipping address. After making the purchase, the buyer began to bombard me with questions about the condition of the cards, all questions that should have been asked prior to purchase, and requested an alternate method of packaging to that listed in the description, which he had also agreed to when he clicked "Buy It Now." I knew immediately I was dealing with a scammer, and after consulting with eBay customer service, I cancelled the sale per the buyer's attempt to alter the terms of the transaction, blocked the buyer and relisted the cards.

Less than 24 hours later, the cards were purchased again....by an Australian buyer with low feedback, using a 3rd party U.S. shipping address...clearly the same individual using an alternate account. I contacted eBay customer service again, and they assured me I was covered by "Seller Protection," so I shipped out the cards. Less than 24 hours after the cards had been delivered to the 3rd party shipping address, the buyer filed a "not as described" return claim. He never supplied any photos showing in what manner they were not as described (he had clearly never even seen them, because he was thousands of miles away from the package). I contacted eBay customer service once again, and unfortunately, that "Seller Protection" they had assured me of was no longer available, so I sent the buyer a return label.

I was then informed that my funds and payouts would remain frozen until the item was returned or until the deadline passed. I was unable to do business for the entire month of June as a result. The deadline passed, the buyer never returned the item, and eBay closed the return request and unfroze my assets. eBay customer service went on to apologize profusely for the inconvenience, remove the negative feedback left by the seller on both his accounts after confirming it was indeed the same person, and they even sent me a $20 eBay gift card for my troubles, with assurances that the matter was over and done with, and would no longer be an issue.

This morning, I awoke to discover that the buyer has filed a payment dispute through his bank, and once again my store, funds and payouts are being held hostage by this fraudster, this time for up to TWO MONTHS while his bank, whoever or wherever they may be, drags their feet on a resolution. I contacted eBay customer service, who advised me this is MY problem to deal with, not theirs, and who told me to challenge the dispute and supply proof that the item was as described upon shipment. Had I not had the foresight to take photos of me packaging up the cards and the box itself after the shipping label had been affixed, I would be dead in the water right now. Of course, I had to learn how to shrink photos to an extremely small file size, and the challenge form only allows up to 1.75 MB in photos (EVERY photo is larger than 1.75 MB, for God's sake). The eBay customer service representative did inform me that I qualify for "Seller Protection" in this matter, but I've seen firsthand how utterly meaningless and toothless "Seller Protection" actually is.

The bottom line is that he did not return the item back in June, so eBay closed the ticket. That should be the end of it, and as far as I'm concerned, I am under no obligation to accept a return 6 months after the point of sale. How is this MY problem now? Who determines whether I have to accept a return on an item eBay already resolved in my favor? What gives them the right to reach into my bank account and withdraw $850 well outside the 90-day return window?? This transaction has already cost me 4 weeks of stress and anxiety, and here it is again, potentially causing another EIGHT weeks of stress and anxiety while I cannot get paid for my business transactions on this platform. All because I was targeted by a scammer. Regardless of the outcome, I will be closing my store and canceling my account of 25 years. I'm not going through this again. I have lost all confidence and trust in eBay to protect their sellers from structured fraud.

And before any of you throw up your devils' advocate "you should have done this" or "you should have done that," eBay has claimed to be on my side throughout this entire affair and has stated multiple times that I did everything I was supposed to do in the correct manner....yet here I am, unable to do business on eBay once again. So don't start. I'm in no mood for it.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Once Again, My Store And Funds Are Being Held Hostage By A Scammer

Since the buyer opened an item not as described case through ebay and you did the proper thing and issued a return label and in the case that the buyer never returned the item and ebay closed the case in your favor you are now covered under ebay seller protection for the credit card charge back that was opened for the same reason.

All you have to do is respond to the charge back case correctly which it sounds like you did by sending pictures. However the buyers credit card will likely side with them, however in this case ebay will end up covering the cost of the charge back out of their own pocket and will release the funds they are currently holding back to you. However this can take up to two months.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Question for anyone who knows: if the OP shipped via eBay International Shipping, would they have handled the return first time around? Would the later chargeback be handled any differently?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Since the buyer opened an item not as described case through ebay and you did the proper thing and issued a return label and in the case that the buyer never returned the item and ebay closed the case in your favor you are now covered under ebay seller protection for the credit card charge back that was opened for the same reason.

All you have to do is respond to the charge back case correctly which it sounds like you did by sending pictures. However the buyers credit card will likely side with them, however in this case ebay will end up covering the cost of the charge back out of their own pocket and will release the funds they are currently holding back to you. However this can take up to two months.

Agreed. However, with all  the automation initially it may be that eBay takes the sellers funds to refund the buyer given all the automation processes that are in place. Seller may have to contact eBay regarding the seller chargeback protection. The seller may be able to do this and get their funds released before the CC renders a decision.  They also should remember to cancel the return label they issued. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

..."buyer has filed a payment dispute through his bank, and once again my store, funds and payouts are being held hostage by this fraudster, this time for up to TWO MONTHS while his bank, whoever or wherever they may be, drags their feet on a resolution. I contacted eBay customer service, who advised me this is MY problem to deal with, not theirs, and who told me to challenge the dispute and supply proof that the item was as described upon shipment."...

How is this YOUR problem to deal with, not THEIRS? - They charge you $20 if you lose the dispute with, seemingly, NO effort put forth on their part, right? They don't give you the buyers financial institution information you need to fight the payment dispute, right? How can it NOT be their problem when they dont give you the pertinent information you need to fight the matter?? If you knew the financial institution, and you gave them the irrefutable evidence you have regarding this scam, you would most likely win - But left in ebays hands, my guess is you likely have a 1 in 100 chance of winning? - Another reason this place sucks in my most humble opinion...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I spoke with 6 different eBay customer service representatives yesterday (1 by phone, and 5 by online chat). None of them spoke English well enough to answer my questions with anything other than their scripted responses that have no bearing on this case. Not a single one of them could explain or define "Seller Protection" beyond the text from the scripted response I'm sure someone will link below. My eBay assets are entirely frozen until this matter is resolved, which could take up to eight weeks or more. How is that "Seller Protection," I ask you? The only thing they're currently protecting me from is making money (and, by extension, making THEM money).

I've threatened to leave this platform before, but this time I mean it. There is no such thing as "Seller Protection" on eBay. It's a lie. If this indeed drags out 8 weeks, I will have lost the ability to make money here for 3 total months, or 25% of this year, all because of an Australian scammer with buyer's remorse who never returned the item and is attempting to defraud me out of $850.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You should probably try and go through Social media (aka Facebook, Twitter) to contact ebay, those support people are much better than the phone support which has become absolutely worthless.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

erz,

Rather than to close your account of 1/4 century, if it would suit your need, why not continue with e-Bay, BUT only list items with a value that you are prepared to lose? 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Because I don't want to do that. If I'm going to sell on this platform, I want to do so without fear that said platform will allow one spiteful individual to hold my store hostage for months. I have things to sell, and I'm not going to use multiple platforms just because some items are more valuable than others. That's stupid.

At this stage, I'll take down my entire store before I give eBay any more final value fees, which are already outrageous. eBay is not going to make money off my merchandise if they're not going to let me have the money I've earned from selling said merchandise because of a sale dispute that was already resolved in my favor  4 months ago. I'm done with allowing eBay to take advantage of me by rewarding scammers for their malfeasance and hanging me out to dry. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello- I want to start off by saying how bad I feel for you. You did everything right. You even did what I had a hard time learning. That being spotting a snag sale before it happened. I have since learned that most sales that go sideways always can be seen in the beginning. The only advise I can suggest is to talk to the postal inspector. Fraud thru the mail system has no borders. The prof that they created another user name to make a purchase after being blocked, was a violation of eBay rules in itself. I'm surprised that ebay told you to even ship the second order. Seller protection or not. It should have never been allowed.  You could even try to talk to your local news media helper/fixer type. Or even go higher than that. You just need to reach out to people with power to get some real help.  Closing your store sounds good but its only your frustrations talking. But it won't get you your money back. It won't fix anything. Don't give up. Don't throw all your years of work out the window. Don't get mad, get even. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply