cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offensive Materials? Huh?

Today I received two notifications on two items which I have had listed for months/years- a folk art art doll of a Black American man (not a caricature) wearing a tie, and an antique photograph of a Black American maid holding a White child. Neither item depicts any possible characteristic of racial mockery or denigration. I must say that I find it personally offensive that ebay would even suggest such a thing about them. What on God's Earth is happening? I'm 60 years old and have been an ebay seller for 19 years with a 100 percent rating. Has the world lost its mind?

Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Offensive Materials? Huh?

I guess it's good I sold my Gone with the Wind ornaments a wk or so ago......no black actors/characters but they might have gotten caught up in the purge.....  Have some Black  S& P shakers that had already decided NOT to list.....after looking at what was listed.....  I'm one that thinks we ought to be reminded of our not so nice past as well as the successes......but some of those  S & P were raw even to me......

Message 16 of 122
latest reply

Welcome to the world of politically correct and delusional people they have running ebay. Suddenly anything black is offensive. If its a white doll its totally fine! And no, the world hasn't lost its mind, just the crazy people they have running this platform.

Message 17 of 122
latest reply

...oh dear, I just bought a set of Gone With The Wind DVD today because I gave mines away couple years a go to my niece...

...haven't heard when will it ship...(dear seller, please ship before eBay takes down your listing...)

Message 18 of 122
latest reply

Just turned 70 and am really offended by listings that portray all seniors as senile, needing diapers, needing reading glasses, needing canes, or walkers. Way too many listings on here for jokes, posters, health aids like denture cream, ed pills, hair loss products, and the list goes on and on and on...…...…...…….!

I am also a WASP and think that any book or product that depicts seniors in an unfavorable light should be banned completely and forever.  Please look into this eBay, it is driving me nuts!!!!!

Message 19 of 122
latest reply

Sorry, it is the whole world. eBay is just jumping on the bandwagon as a Johnny Come Lately.

Message 20 of 122
latest reply

In all honestly I don't have an opinion either way about said items. I definitely don't see myself buying any black Americana. I also understand why it can be seen as offensive. My biggest gripe is when companies latch on to things like this to look good.
Message 21 of 122
latest reply

https://www.ebayinc.com/company/our-leaders/

Check out eBay's Leadership and Board.

Notice anything? Bunch of white people for the most part. There's only one black person among the entire group and they're on the Board, not on the leadership team.

Doesn't seem very diverse to me. So what we have is a bunch of mostly white people deciding what is or isn't offensive to black people. That, to me, is offensive.

Message 22 of 122
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I the only one who when I see  something offensive, I just keep scrolling?

If you start pulling everything that is offensive to some, There will not be anything left...

Message 23 of 122
latest reply

I'm offended by eBay's current powers that be. Can we cancel them?

Message 24 of 122
latest reply

If I needed or wanted any of the items I mentioned, eBay would be the last place I would look for them. However, while we are all being overly sensitive, let's stop all this senior bashing and intimidation. It's a cause near and dear to my heart and peer group.

When seniors are portrayed in books and movies as less than perfect, it reflects on all of us. I wish eBay would review and prohibit any listings derogatory to us boomers.

Message 25 of 122
latest reply

They took down two of our listings: a Martin Luther King Christian Leadership Conference Locket (how is that offensive?) and a 19th century cloth black doll made by a famous doll maker. Not a caricature, not offensive, not derogatory. A type of doll often offered for sale in good quality doll auctions held by known doll auctioneers in brick and mortar establishments. Both items were listed in the Black Americana category.
Why did I list them there? Because not terribly long ago (a year or so??) eBay decided that the names of many toys and banks that had black subject matter should not be described by the names that they had started out with when they were made. Sellers, like us, were told to use "Black Americana" and when we listed, we were informed that we should list such items in the Black Americana category.
So now the Black Americana category is being ravaged with listings removed. Removed in some cases like ours without any evidence of violation of the "new" policy. Which I have read more than once and can find nothing in that policy that pertains to the two listings of ours that were removed. I can not think of anything negative that anyone could glean from our two listings that were removed. They seems to be removing a lot of things arbitrarily just because they have black subject matter. Isn't that discriminatory to do that?

BTW we've been on ebay since 1998. I am 73 years old and have been an antiques dealer since 1976.

Message 26 of 122
latest reply

..."Baby Boomers"...

...what will happen when this generation is gone...?

...the ones whom was born in 50's, 60's...I think it's a most amazing generation...specially the music during 60's, 70's up to 80's...

..."My eyes adored you"(Frankie Valli ) baby boomers...!

Message 27 of 122
latest reply

@bbravo65 wrote:

...oh dear, I just bought a set of Gone With The Wind DVD today because I gave mines away couple years a go to my niece...

...haven't heard when will it ship...(dear seller, please ship before eBay takes down your listing...)

@bbravo65 

I'll look around here just in case... "as God is my witness..."- Love me some Scarlett!

Message 28 of 122
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

...my dear, everything is really gone with the wind for sure...

...and as usual as beautiful what was your written...thank you...!

Message 29 of 122
latest reply

So true! I can't wrap my ahead around the endless violence and politically motivated ignorance that's consuming our society right now. We have mentally deranged people calling to defund and or abolish law enforcement, burning American flags, killing our cops, looting and destroying everything.

I cannot wrap my head around why we live in a world where humans only know and want death and destruction.

Message 30 of 122
latest reply