cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing

A simple search in Completeds for

Belleek Shamrock Teapot Brown Mark

There are, of course, 0 results for those words but there are "Results matching fewer words".  

After 9 listings of Belleek Shamrock Teapot Green Mark, some other mark, no mark in the title, # 10 hits the jackpot. 

Belleek Shamrock listings continue (I get only 25 results anyway) but it's willy nilly assorted colors of marks and other pieces that aren't teapots.

So, and I'm serious when I ask this, does ebay think since there is only one teapot with a brown mark, I'd be more interested in the ones with the green marks? 

I didn't count Active listings; I'm just too weary.  Suffice it to say the results were about the same.   *I* knew to keep scrolling down the page but would a buyer see green only for the first few listings and then hit BACK? 

Yes, yes, I know, several people will find a zillion teapots with brown marks.  The point is - I didn't.

Think I'll just go wash little boys' dirty socks and underwear; at least I will have something to show for the labor.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Shouldn't have any trouble finding brown marks there!

Seriously tho, I am confused, is the brown hallmark something to look for? I'm not a china enthusiast.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

There are, of course, 0 results for those words but there are "Results matching fewer words".  

After 9 listings of Belleek Shamrock Teapot Green Mark, some other mark, no mark in the title, # 10 hits the jackpot. 

Belleek Shamrock listings continue (I get only 25 results anyway) but it's willy nilly assorted colors of marks and other pieces that aren't teapots.

So, and I'm serious when I ask this, does ebay think since there is only one teapot with a brown mark, I'd be more interested in the ones with the green marks? 

I didn't count Active listings; I'm just too weary.  Suffice it to say the results were about the same.   *I* knew to keep scrolling down the page but would a buyer see green only for the first few listings and then hit BACK? 

Yes, yes, I know, several people will find a zillion teapots with brown marks.  The point is - I didn't.

Think I'll just go wash little boys' dirty socks and underwear; at least I will have something to show for the labor.

I didn't find anything right off the bat for the first few minutes using  Belleek Shamrock Teapot Beown Mark in the search but when I switched the title to say Brown Mark  Belleek Shamrock Teapot,  I immediately saw  Belleek Shamrock Castle Vase - Brown Mark.  Of course that's a vase and not a teapot but then there were other items that said "Brown Mark".  

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Searching for a specific item usually takes a little effort.  I really doubt that everyone would put brown mark or whatever mark in their title.   Possibly if you search by title and description you might find what you are looking for or possibly I don't even understand what you are saying.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

Shouldn't have any trouble finding brown marks there!

Seriously tho, I am confused, is the brown hallmark something to look for? I'm not a china enthusiast.

@omgitlightsupThe backstamps date the piece ... older pieces in good condition are more valuable.

https://www.belleek.com/en/us/Date-Your-Belleek/cc-22.aspx

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

The "fewer words" listings can be quite comical at times. There is no thinking involved. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

The mark dates the item.  A Belleek piece with this particular brown mark (there are more than one) dates from 1980-1993.  

I believe most people who are aware of what Belleek marks mean would search by the type or color of mark, not just "Belleek teapot" and then scroll through all listings.   After that, a person might search general listings for the ones that didn't identify the mark but how painstakingly painful is that.

I'm not too excited about this item; I was talking more about the wacked search engine.

Way back in the beginning of ebay, I would search "jewelry."  Wow, did that take a long time.  laughing

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I didn't find anything right off the bat for the first few minutes using  Belleek Shamrock Teapot Beown Mark in the search but when I switched the title to say Brown Mark  Belleek Shamrock Teapot,  I immediately saw  Belleek Shamrock Castle Vase - Brown Mark.  Of course that's a vase and not a teapot but then there were other items that said "Brown Mark". 

And is that crazy or what?  I know there are teapots listed but ebay shows you a vase first...

Edit:  And, point being:  If you were a buyer would you hang around after the first few minutes and/or think to change to "Brown Mark" first in the search title?  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Searching for a specific item usually takes a little effort.  I really doubt that everyone would put brown mark or whatever mark in their title.   Possibly if you search by title and description you might find what you are looking for or possibly I don't even understand what you are saying.

Sometimes a seemingly meaningless detail means a lot to the people who regularly trade certain items. I'm a fan of Colt rifles from the 80s, and the most significant detail in determining their value is the color of ink printed on the cardboard box, even though you almost never get the box with the rifle.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Belleek Shamrock Teapot brings up 68 active and 45 solds.

Not all sellers use "Brown Mark."  It's a current mark and not going to add any collectible value to the pot.  If it was an old green or black mark, then it would be in the sellers' best interests to include it in the title.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Again, I. Don't. Care. about this particular teapot and I'm not going to buy it on another site for resale here (unless I can get it for miniscule dollars, lol).

I was using it as an example of ebay's search function and results.  Why didn't it come up first ?  

Edit:  Sorry, lint, not replying specifically to you.  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Looked at the listing in question --- here is the title:

Stunning Mint condition Belleek, Ireland Brown Mark Teapot

Notice that the first 34 spaces are unimportant generic letters/spaces (words) --- and the important keywords are after that --- then we see one of the important keywords has a comma after it (Belleek,) followed by "Ireland" --- which means the specific term you are searching for starts at space 51 --- putting it outside the normal search area for most Bots

Long long ago it was suggested the RELEVANT keywords should be in front --- thus allowing even simple search algorithms to find the words

Luckily for those who seek bargains some sellers are unaware of these things --- and although there are workarounds for searching it isn't obvious

When I used a workaround the completed listings showed only one item --- not surprizing it was the "Stunning Mint condition Belleek, Ireland Brown Mark Teapot" hidden in the previous search

The key to success is to learn the nuances of search engines ...

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

A simple search in Completeds for Belleek Shamrock Teapot Brown Mark

The additional results you see after the "0 Results Found" are results that match "fewer words". Of course you will see things that do not match "teapot" or do not match "brown" - that is what matching fewer words means. If you don't care about those results, you don't have to look at them - they aren't hurting you.

I went to the Belleek website and found their page about dating items by their mark. That site - and most other listings on eBay - make it very clear that searching for Belleek is done by the sequence number of the mark - i.e. "1st mark", "5th mark", "6th mark", etc. - rather than by the color.

So as far as "Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing" goes, I would simplt suggest that you do not seem to searching for Belleek marks in the way most others seem to expect.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Oh, stop.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Lucky, see above.