cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Paypal, no Warning= Ebay keeping $ of Sold Item

This in regards to an email I received April 16, 2021. That email is the first of its kind that I have received telling me of Upcoming changes to how sellers will be paid. 

*Please note: that was just days ago. Less than a week.

It went on to state that I had until MAY 21, 2021 to update my account information. 

To my surprise, on the 18th, I sold one of the 5 or 6 items that I have listed. They paid immediately. 

After reviewing the brief terms that informed me that when I give ebay my account details, I would be legally granting them permission to withdraw payments when they deem themselves owed. 

This is a typical occurrence for most people and businesses, but is something I have learned the hard way to avoid like the plague. 

Knowing there is the slightest chance of a possibility that ebay could grant a buyer a refund before I may be aware of the situation made me decide Not to go there. I simply cannot afford an overdraft fee(s). The money is not there. 

So, I call ebay. I ask how I am to get paid. Could they pay my paypal account? Why was I given a notice only 4 days ago and why wasn't the date in that notice being honored? 

All I got in response was a repeat of their sales pitch, again. 

In summary, ebay will 'Hold' onto my money for the item sold, indefinitely, until I give them my bank account details.

I explained that I am prepared to print and ship the sold item  right then, but not without payment.

Do I now have to cancel this sale?

CRS said I could do that or give my bank info. (A response that had really begun to get old.)

Ultimately, there was NOT a single  alternative solution given. No room for granting any transitional period. 

That, well, I call that **bleep**. 

Mind you, I understand the process. I get it. I just won't partake. 

In the end I'm mad for losing this sale. Being forced to explain to the buyer why. Then discovering that the date I was given was irrelevant. Had I known. I would have pulled my items & not risked any problems. 

Thanks for nothing ebay. As usual. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: No more Paypal, no Warning= Ebay keeping $ of Sold Item

Once you begin the process - to find out what it is and what's involved - you, well, begin the process and may be restricted from buying if you don't pony up your data.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Trap door.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

No warning??  They have been talking about this for 2 years or more.  All sellers are supposed to be moved over by the end of 2021.  Lots of news about this in seller updates as well as all over the boards.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

No warning?

If you regularly read the announcements, you'll see that eBay has been announcing/warning about this for more than a year.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Actually, the switch to Managed Payments affects sellers, not buyers.  No one will be restricted from buying if they "don't pony up your data".  Just wanted to clarify any misunderstanding.  

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

@autumnsfrost wrote:

This in regards to an email I received April 16, 2021. That email is the first of its kind that I have received telling me of Upcoming changes to how sellers will be paid. 

We were told 3 years ago about the changes and they have been switching sellers over for more then 2 years.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I'm avoiding Managed Payments, the inhouse payment processing system eBay is introducing to replace their former inhouse payment processing system which they were forced to divest over five years ago.

From all reports, there is little or no difference in actual fees. Managed Payments actually is better than PP in their handling of refunds, but we never have to make refunds do we?

The biggest annoyance seems to be that under MP our accumulated payments cannot be used to buy either on eBay or on other online sites.

Instead we have to move our payments to a bank account and choose whether we want to move the balances daily or weekly.

Which seems to be your concern.

What many of my fellow Canadian sellers are doing, is opening a new account, dedicated to online sales, with an online bank, like Tangerine.  I believe that similar banks exist in the USA.

Since it is not tethered to any other financial institution, nothing can be taken beyond what is in the account.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@clemowbooks wrote:

I'm avoiding Managed Payments, the inhouse payment processing system eBay is introducing to replace their former inhouse payment processing system which they were forced to divest over five years ago.

Its not inhouse, it's being ran by Adyen, one of the biggest payment processors in the world.

From all reports, there is little or no difference in actual fees. Managed Payments actually is better than PP in their handling of refunds, but we never have to make refunds do we?

Huh?

The biggest annoyance seems to be that under MP our accumulated payments cannot be used to buy either on eBay or on other online sites.

Instead we have to move our payments to a bank account and choose whether we want to move the balances daily or weekly.

Transfer money from your bank to paypal or get a debit card for that account.

Which seems to be your concern.

What many of my fellow Canadian sellers are doing, is opening a new account, dedicated to online sales, with an online bank, like Tangerine.  I believe that similar banks exist in the USA.

Since it is not tethered to any other financial institution, nothing can be taken beyond what is in the account.

That can't happen with a regular bank account unless you tie your checking account to your savings with something like over draft protection.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

If you want to sell 5 or 6 items online, or 1 item, then it is your responsibility to be updated on the terms and policies for the platform you are using. Managed payments has been announced for years now and has been in place for many sellers for over a year, so this is nothing new and not a surprise at all. Best of luck to you....

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/New-policies/qaq-p/31798675
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just so there's no misunderstanding.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

So lets see here, eBay claims they will transfer funds to your account in 2 days..so according to eBays advice of the past  "don't ship until you have the funds" means don't ship until eBay has funded your account, or does the don't ship magically go away now that the Amateur code writers at eBay deem it so

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

"... or does the don't ship magically go away now..."

@c06u 

Never thought about it being 'magical'... but that is kinda what happened. Poof! 😲

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

I woke up this morning and still haven't gotten my money, i spoke to ebay last week telling them i wanted to go back to using paypal bc i wasn't comfortable with this new process. i am livid right now. they convinced me to ship the item and  assured me that i'd get the money by monday at latest. it's thursday and still nothing.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@mark85nh wrote:

I woke up this morning and still haven't gotten my money, i spoke to ebay last week telling them i wanted to go back to using paypal bc i wasn't comfortable with this new process. i am livid right now. they convinced me to ship the item and  assured me that i'd get the money by monday at latest. it's thursday and still nothing.

You can't go back. Ever.

Double check the bank info you gave them.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Managed payments are a way to make money using someone else's money.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply