cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Paypal, no Warning= Ebay keeping $ of Sold Item

This in regards to an email I received April 16, 2021. That email is the first of its kind that I have received telling me of Upcoming changes to how sellers will be paid. 

*Please note: that was just days ago. Less than a week.

It went on to state that I had until MAY 21, 2021 to update my account information. 

To my surprise, on the 18th, I sold one of the 5 or 6 items that I have listed. They paid immediately. 

After reviewing the brief terms that informed me that when I give ebay my account details, I would be legally granting them permission to withdraw payments when they deem themselves owed. 

This is a typical occurrence for most people and businesses, but is something I have learned the hard way to avoid like the plague. 

Knowing there is the slightest chance of a possibility that ebay could grant a buyer a refund before I may be aware of the situation made me decide Not to go there. I simply cannot afford an overdraft fee(s). The money is not there. 

So, I call ebay. I ask how I am to get paid. Could they pay my paypal account? Why was I given a notice only 4 days ago and why wasn't the date in that notice being honored? 

All I got in response was a repeat of their sales pitch, again. 

In summary, ebay will 'Hold' onto my money for the item sold, indefinitely, until I give them my bank account details.

I explained that I am prepared to print and ship the sold item  right then, but not without payment.

Do I now have to cancel this sale?

CRS said I could do that or give my bank info. (A response that had really begun to get old.)

Ultimately, there was NOT a single  alternative solution given. No room for granting any transitional period. 

That, well, I call that **bleep**. 

Mind you, I understand the process. I get it. I just won't partake. 

In the end I'm mad for losing this sale. Being forced to explain to the buyer why. Then discovering that the date I was given was irrelevant. Had I known. I would have pulled my items & not risked any problems. 

Thanks for nothing ebay. As usual. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: No more Paypal, no Warning= Ebay keeping $ of Sold Item

To be honest I didn't feel like I know about it and was surprised when my money was in Managed Payments.  A 3 year roll out is way too long.  Email me 3 years ago and then last month expect me to remember "Oh hey eBay finally go around to me" without a way to get a one time payment, close just the seller side or any option for that matter that wouldn't make me want to close the whole account.

After talking with no less than six eBay customer service reps all they could tell me was there might be changes coming and they can only send money to a bank account even if I closed the account.    It just seems odd they have no other methods of any kind.  Dont care if its a prepaid visa debit card or sending a check out can't be that difficult.  I mean I'm sure they still use checks right? 😉

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Clearly you are unaware of “posting IDs. There are many here who volunteer to help who have thousands of transactions under their belt who prefer to remain anonymous. Some of the best advice comes from these posters. If you frequent these forums on a regular basis you will soon be able to discern the most knowledgeable. 

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

Old news. eBay has been sending messages about it for a couple years. This forum has had a hundred posts about it.

I don't like the change either but eBay gave you plenty of warnings about it.

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

That's what many here have been suggesting for over a year.  Get another checking account just for eBaying.  Get a debit card to go with it.  Make a continuous circle for the money to go round and round... eBay to checking account to debit card tied into checking account, (and debit card to PayPal also if you're going to use them for printing labels)... it flows or should flow smoothly.  We'll see.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

it flows or should flow smoothly. 

Yes...it does....I was venmo-ing monies between 2 accounts.  For transfers between 2 banks - we use Zelle now and it is a snap.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 35 of 40
latest reply

I never got emails from EBay, but I did get messages on my EBay account.  I’ve decided to not sell any longer, thus not giving banking info or using the managed payments.  

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@3fabdogs wrote:

I never got emails from EBay, but I did get messages on my EBay account.

I must have gotten every ones emails for the last 3 years.

Can't tell you how many I've received that said something about Managed Payments.

Have a great day.
Message 37 of 40
latest reply

Most individuals do not have the time to waste on bulletin board postings. eBay needs to contact all sellers by email when changes occur to ones account. eBay works for the seller, not the other way around. If you pay then the other is a vendor.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

We were told Nov. 2020 by formal and appropriate email. Posting on generic boards mean nothing! In fact even at that time our items were excluded.  

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@dnasilver wrote:

We were told Nov. 2020 by formal and appropriate email. Posting on generic boards mean nothing! In fact even at that time our items were excluded.  

The first email I received about Managed Payments was on January 31, 2018

Have a great day.
Message 40 of 40
latest reply