cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Paypal and fee raised to 12.5% - ebay can take a hike to put it politely.

Of all the outfits I deal with on line, I detest and hate Ebay most for their 'I'm on the roof Jack; pull the ladder up' policies.  They are ruthless and it just gotten worse. When they informed me of requiring my bank account details and also the sales fee increase from 10 to 12.5%, I almost immediately pulled all of my sales listings. 

Henceforth, I will buy only.  Enough is enough.  I'm going to take a look at Craig's List and if I don't like that either, well, I lived OK before they came into existence. 

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: No more Paypal and fee raised to 12.5% - ebay can take a hike to put it politely.

@224jmoore wrote:

That's one of my problems with ebay now; it's not 10% any more. They've raised it to 12.5% as if they're not making enough already!!!

And how much did Paypal charge? 

General:  Generational shaming is as much **bleep** as the "I walked to school 20 miles uphill in the snow barefoot EACH WAY" schtick.  No generation is any worse than any other and every one has its own challenges.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 46 of 54
latest reply

Re: No more Paypal and fee raised to 12.5% - ebay can take a hike to put it politely.

I know.  See earlier comments.  Think I'll leave just this one.

Message 47 of 54
latest reply

@224jmoore wrote:

That's one of my problems with ebay now; it's not 10% any more. They've raised it to 12.5% as if they're not making enough already!!!

We keep trying to explain that the ebay fee now includes what was once the ebay PLUS the paypal fee.  We no longer have two separate entities to pay. 

Message 48 of 54
latest reply

@224jmoore wrote:

Already explained ....................................    not paying PP when in MP.

PP is now  ??? 3.49% ???? on top of the 10.2%  that sellers not in MP are paying.

@224jmoore 

Message 49 of 54
latest reply

@224jmoore wrote:

You were paying 12.9% before and you didn't have a problem with that?

Have a great day.
Message 50 of 54
latest reply

I don't want my bank account 'out there'.  That's part of my initial statement.  So, I've stopped selling except for one item. I won't be listing any further.  And as far as the fee goes, it might be reasonably fair for low figure sales but for the higher value items, the additional 2.5% might well exceed the what sellers had to pay Paypal.  I don't like %'s anyway. (ever sold a house lately at 8% fee)?  Whether a $400,000 property or a 4 million dollar property, it's still 8% - totally outrageous in my eyes. I'd like to see a fixed selling fee on ebay for say 0 - 50 - no fee, 51 to 100 - $7.50, 101 to 500 - $12 and so on with a maximum fee of $100  (all pie in the sky I realise). After all, it's only one item being sold just like houses. What's the value got to do with anything. It's just the way all auction houses operate and is downright robbery.  I think something like this would increase ebay's image and their revenue as a lot more people would use them.  Their totally ruthless attitude on charging, even for the most trivial things on a listing, is not helping them. Have a look at Mr_ Lincoln's info below.  They can add me to their downturn.

Message 51 of 54
latest reply

Initially, the sellers fee was so-much which I was aware of and therefore agreed to pay. NOW, they've raised it, I'm not going for it.  OK??

Message 52 of 54
latest reply

Good. I'm pleased to read this and it's about time ebay suffered for it's attitude.  One other thing they carried out which pieved me and a lot of others was their decision to include shipping costs in their value fee.  How dishonest was this?  Shipping cost comes out of the sellers pocket and is nothing to do with ebay.  Their claim is that it was to prevent sellers overcharging on shipping to make a few $'s more.  I'm not sure this worked as I still see highly overcharged shipping by some sellers. A seller practising high shipping cost can still come out ahead.  This new trick from ebay didn't go down well with those of us charging the correct amount of close to it.

Message 53 of 54
latest reply

I'm only 76, but age is no excuse for not knowing what fees you have been paying.  I'm not a big managed payments fan, I also was quite happy with paypal.   I liked being able to withdraw funds from paypal every month or two rather than once a week with managed payments.   But I see no difference in providing bank account information to eBay than providing it to paypal as I have always had a separate bank account for online sales.   And it is easier to keep track of fees when only dealing with ebay rather than ebay plus paypal.

Message 54 of 54
latest reply