cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay Proof of Delivery for Local Pick Up Option

For those who offer Local PickUp….ebay is rolling out a Proof of Delivery feature. When the buyer pays online, he gets a QR Code and a six digit number. When he picks up, he shows the code to the seller, who can scan it with his phone and that will then indicate delivered in the shipping area. Don’t want to get close enough to scan? The buyer is also given a six digit code number which he can provide to the seller, and that too will be accepted as proof of delivery.

This is being rolled out, so not everyone may have it today. Also, at this time, this won’t work if Local PickUp was not chosen by the buyer at time of purchase. (Example: Listing does not offer Local Pick Up. Buyer buys item, but then notices he lives in same town as seller, so asks for Local Pick Up. This won’t be available, although it sounds like they might try to add that ability down the line)

I don’t think there’s been a formal announcement yet, but this was discussed in today’s ebay Podcast. https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Episode-88-Checking-In-With-Sellers-Sell...

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: New eBay Proof of Delivery for Local Pick Up Option

Starts at 4:00

-------------
Posting ID
Message 2 of 101
latest reply

Great if you have a smart phone or such! Guess what, there are some of us that don't :_)  (heck I don't even have messaging or text)

Message 3 of 101
latest reply

Oh! It does sound like a great idea anyway.

Message 4 of 101
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Great if you have a smart phone or such! Guess what, there are some of us that don't :_)  (heck I don't even have messaging or text)

The cord on my phone is not long enough to reach outside😁

but yes, sounds like eBay is finally moving into the latter part of the 20th century.

Message 5 of 101
latest reply

As I understand it, if you can't scan the QR code, the buyer can just tell you the 6 digit code and you can write it down.
Message 6 of 101
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Hopefully ebay will facilitate entering the buyer code manually on a computer although they only talked about it being an app to app process.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 7 of 101
latest reply

That's terrific! 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 101
latest reply

I can appreciate someone who choose to not have a smart phone.  I have a good friend who just disposed of cell phone use and went back to home phone line only.  There are some good reasons to go this route.  The flip side is that if you are going to dabble in the e commerce game, you need to bring the tools of the trade.  I hate technology, but it is a requirement if you want to play in this game.  I talked to an on line seller yesterday that does not accept credit cards.  He only accepts electronic payments through paypal invoice.  With something as easy as square.com there are no reasons to not accept credit cards.  I understand your old school position completely but it will not work in the e commerce world.  Good luck.  Dan.

Message 9 of 101
latest reply

Yep PayPal also offers a point sale swipe device for about $5 or $10 for sellers who are already comfortable with PayPal and do not wish to learn the in and outs of a new payment processor.

Message 10 of 101
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Great if you have a smart phone or such! Guess what, there are some of us that don't :_) 

According to the Pew Research Center, 96% of Americans have a cell phone and 81% of Americans have a smart phone.

Those numbers are more than a year old, so I suspect they are higher still. And I suspect that number is even higher still among the population who have the online access required to sell on eBay.

With numbers like that, I doubt eBay is ever going to develop a non-technology option for confirming local pickup. 

Message 11 of 101
latest reply

"According to the Pew Research Center, 96% of Americans have a cell phone and 81% of Americans have a smart phone." Heck even the homeless have cell phones! LOL

I am one of the 96% that have a cell phone but no smart phone. I don't live on my phone, the desk top maybe more so. I use my phone as a phone I don't feel the need to be connected more then I am now with just voice. Got tired of spam text and voice mails so I turned those functions off.  The plan I am on is less then $10 for 300 min/30 days voice only.  I am not a business or have a store.

Message 12 of 101
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@redmodelt wrote:

Great if you have a smart phone or such! Guess what, there are some of us that don't :_) 

According to the Pew Research Center, 96% of Americans have a cell phone and 81% of Americans have a smart phone.

Those numbers are more than a year old, so I suspect they are higher still. And I suspect that number is even higher still among the population who have the online access required to sell on eBay.

With numbers like that, I doubt eBay is ever going to develop a non-technology option for confirming local pickup. 

For some reason the eBay app will not work on my phone. I'm fairly certain the problem is on their end.

1058.jpg

Message 13 of 101
latest reply

There is a work around...   I could still do both the square trade thingy and the new app from eBay.

It doesn't have the be a 800.00 (or w/e) newest and greatest phone.  This is doable for those that sell local pick-ups. Either off your home wi-fi or any local store, fast food place, library etc. no service needed.

I paid 50.00 for a "smart" phone so I could read books and watch videos without having lug the laptop around.  I use it at home while taking baths, out and about at the Clinic (the store has wi-fi), at fast food places, stuck in the car while they are inside shopping at various grocery stores.    Now I paid 50 so I would have a larger .... oh what's it called ... (ugg can't think of what it's really called I tell hubby Filing cabinet and he understands lol) space that will hold a video or story and even a few card games.   You can get em cheaper. 

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 14 of 101
latest reply

From the description looks like maybe that six digit code number would work for you redmodelt ...instead of using your phone you'd  type the number into your laptop or desktop or tablet to confirm.

I do have a smart phone but I'm totally with you about not living on it.

Message 15 of 101
latest reply