cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USPS rate .... errrnt!!!

Just finished printing some labels with the new USPS rates ... on items 1 LBS or heavier I list both Parcel Select and Priority Mail.  Most Buyers pick Parcel Select because it's cheaper and I will normally upgrade to Priority using my discount and pay just a little less the the Parcel Select rate. 

Not any more ... with the new rates Priority with the discount is more than Parcel Select ... sad but true.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: New USPS rate .... errrnt!!!

I was not even been notified about the increase of usps on ebay.

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

@conveniencebuy wrote:

I was not even been notified about the increase of usps on ebay.

It was in announcements, and if you are like me and forget to check them regularly, you can subscribe to get them sent to you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Lower-FedEx-rates-are-effective-today-FedEx-UPS-a...

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

$5.04 to send 13oz. to Bridgewater, NJ , 80 miles from me, lol

USPS is a great service but these increases are nutz.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

Here's one......bought yesterday so rates should be in effect.......from 17983 to 30041  2#   $8.02 parcel, 7.88 priority..  lol, sorry for the double screen shots....don't know how to use the new stuff........

dhbookds_0-1580143771620.png

image.png

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

Since I'm on the east coast, the rate increase is significant for west coast buyers.  This morning I changed a few listings to add FedEx Ground as an option because, for example, their cost for a 9 lb 12x12x12 box CT to CA is $17.47 compared to USPS Retail Ground for $37.80.  I don't have much experience with FedEx Ground though to know the pros and cons.  Are other sellers considering doing this or am I missing something?

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

Thanks, but that's exactly the point I was making, not what mr lincoln was trying to say.

Mr. Lincoln said that "with the new rates Priority with the discount is more than Parcel Select".  But the prices of Parcel Select Ground and online Priority Mail are so close that the TRS discount makes Priority still cheaper than Parcel Select. 

In your example which is shipping 2 pounds to Zone 4, the prices are:

Parcel Select: $8.02

Priority: $8.12

Priority after 3% TRS discount (i.e., $8.12 x .97): $7.876  -> $7.88

As I noted in a post above, the price difference between Parcel Select and Priority is only 10 cents for Zones 1 - 4, so clearly the 3% discount will always make Priority cheaper than Parcel Select for TRS for those Zones. 

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

@csbbct wrote:

Since I'm on the east coast, the rate increase is significant for west coast buyers.... cost for a 9 lb 12x12x12 box CT to CA is $17.47 compared to USPS Retail Ground for $37.80. ...

In addition to pricing adjustments, USPS made a policy change:  The dreaded "dimensional weight" is now applied to Retail Ground as well as to Parcel Select and Priority Mail, for packages over 1 cubic foot.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

thanks, but that's exactly the point I was making, not what mr lincoln was trying to say.

oops, I got confused about who said what.....sorry........

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

That increase is the killer for me. no more big heavies or big light weight items anymore, for me anyway. I already pulled all my lamp shades. lamps will be sold without shades and I can no longer sell lamp shades as stand alone items. The retail ground dimensional surcharge is a game changer!

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@csbbct wrote:

Since I'm on the east coast, the rate increase is significant for west coast buyers.... cost for a 9 lb 12x12x12 box CT to CA is $17.47 compared to USPS Retail Ground for $37.80. ...

In addition to pricing adjustments, USPS made a policy change:  The dreaded "dimensional weight" is now applied to Retail Ground as well as to Parcel Select and Priority Mail, for packages over 1 cubic foot.

Yes, I know that, but it made me start to look more closely at all my listing's shipping charges.  I also found a listing with a 4 lb 14x14x14 box that is $22.28 FedEx Ground and $57.00 USPS Retail Ground which is an even more significant difference so I feel like I'm missing something here.

Are there reasons I shouldn't consider switching over to FedEx?  I don't see a lot of sellers talking about switching so I'm worried I may regret it for some reason.  Would appreciate other sellers thoughts on this. 

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

You'll probably get better responses if you start a new thread specifically about the topic of using FedEx for larger packages.  I do know that some FedEx rates actually decreased recently.

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.02.27 PM.png

You are correct. Screen shot from the seller hub. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 49
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Here's a  reference chart for the new online First Class package rates, put together by a friendly boardie. Handy for those of us who don't live in everybody else's Zone 8:

___ First Class packages online 2020.png

Thanks. Does anyone happen to have this table for 2019? I want to compare so I know how much to raise my prices. Thanks.

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

___ 2019 first class.gif

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Just finished printing some labels with the new USPS rates ... on items 1 LBS or heavier I list both Parcel Select and Priority Mail.  Most Buyers pick Parcel Select because it's cheaper and I will normally upgrade to Priority using my discount and pay just a little less the the Parcel Select rate. 

Not any more ... with the new rates Priority with the discount is more than Parcel Select ... sad but true.

With the new FedEx rates and the break we are getting, it's almost like the USPS is just trying to lose money. I try to avoid them at all costs now when a short time ago 95% of my shipments were through USPS. They are just getting too greedy now.

Message 30 of 49
latest reply