cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

Hello eBay Community,

I am fairly new to eBay and am trying out some new selling options.  I have questions ...

1)  I usually include shipping in the sale price and then offer "Free Shipping" to the buyer.  For this listing, however, I sold the book at $5 and had the buyer pay shipping (media mail) fees.  When the item sold, $5 was placed in my PayPal account but the shipping label screen asked/required me to pay the fees.  The packing slip shows evidence of shipping being calculated for the seller, but I don't know where these funds were placed (see pictures below).  My PayPal account only shows $5 - It's actually less, now that I've paid for shipping.  Please help me to understand.

2017-07-26 09.36.29.jpg

2)  In a different listing, I have each book priced at $8.24 w/ shipping included.  A customer has contacted me and asked that I lower the price as she wishes to purchase all the books in the listing.  1st, is this allowed (I'm sure it is, just checking)?   2nd, If I choose to say yes, how do I do this correctly through eBay? 

3)  Strictly a Pay Pal question:  I recently sold two items at $5.  For the first, funds were deposited immediately.  For the 2nd PayPal says the funds are pending and will not be released till 08/09.  Thoughts?Simple question:  For USPS purposes, is Puerto Rico is considered "shipping to US"?  Is there anything special I need to do for this sale? 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

I have 8 copies of Wonder for sale for $8.24 each w/ shipping included.
The customer would like to purchase all copies at a reduced price.

1. You can create a discount on 2nd copies of free shipping items.

2. You can end this listing and create a listing for all 8 together at a reduced price.

3. You can have buyer pay full price, but refund part of the price (and pay fees on the entire payment)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

The book you sold shows free shipping.

When you print postage you always pay but you use the money from the buyer to pay for it.

Pending funds is common for new sellers. You need to upload tracking and your funds will be released within 3 days of delivery. Puerto Rico is considered shipping to the US as far as I know. You risk being held on any sale. I'm not sure why they let the first go through without a hold.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your insight,

Actually the image that I've uploaded regarding the book shows that the buyer was charged shipping - bottom right $2.63.  My question/concern is that when I went to print the shipping label (image above) Paypal charged me for the shipping fees.  😞

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Question 1 and first half of question 3 were answered by dog above.

Question 2 is unclear. Are you trying to say you have a listing with multiple different books all the same price where buyer chooses one? Those are called "choice listings" and are not allowed. Multiple quantity listings with multiples of the same item are permitted as are multivariation listings (but MV listings are only available in a few cats and I don't think books are one of them). I looked at your listings under this ID and don't see anything like that.

Question 3 part 2: Puerto Rico is just like any other zone 8 destination for USPS (for FedEx and UPS it can get very ugly costwise), and takes a bit longer than a typical California to New York xone 8 shipment. The 2 shipments I sent there recently went to PO boxes, and were just fine. It's not international and there are no customs forms or any other differences.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

"When you print postage you always pay but you use the money from the buyer to pay for it."

But Paypal only put the sale price of $5 in my account. 😞
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I'm only seeing one sale on your account and that's a sale of Wonder for $5 with free shipping.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

1. You can create a discount on 2nd copies of free shipping items.

2. You can end this listing and create a listing for all 8 together at a reduced price.

3. You can have buyer pay full price, but refund part of the price (and pay fees on the entire payment)

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

You can create another listing showing all for the agreed price.

beware....  if you just lower the price of the existing listing you could be bitten by a sneaky buyer.  sometimes a buyer will ask you to reduce the price to do what they say they want to do,(buy all) and then will just buy one at the cheap price.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

The listing shows two sold, both at $5.

My guess: one of them sold at $5 with free shipping, the other one sold with $2.61 shipping.

The one with $2.61 shipping has not as yet appeared in the paypal account, perhaps it was paid by echeck. Do not ship until it says "ok to ship".

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@belladova

@belladova wrote:
"When you print postage you always pay but you use the money from the buyer to pay for it."

But Paypal only put the sale price of $5 in my account. 😞

You sold the item for 5 bucks with "free shipping"

So.. you got 5 bucks... less ebay and PP fees.

And the "free shipping"... you pay from the 5 bucks...

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your insight
I revised the listing - lowered the price to $5.24 and adjusted shipping to "buyer will pay."
I'm assuming/hoping that eBay will calculate shipping correctly if a customer purchases all the items ... ???
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@belladova wrote:

Thank you for your insight,

Actually the image that I've uploaded regarding the book shows that the buyer was charged shipping - bottom right $2.63.  My question/concern is that when I went to print the shipping label (image above) Paypal charged me for the shipping fees.  😞

That $2.63 is what was paid for the postage. If your PayPal account is only reflecting $5 for the sale, then you sold this with free shipping. There will be another entry on PayPal for the shipping. You need to uncheck the ' Free Shipping ' box on the listing. Selling Books on ebay is a mine field, because of the weight involved you're going to attract scammers. Simply being that when a SNAD is filed you will be responsible for the return shipping. As a new seller you should enact buying limits. A large sale always feels good in the beginning, but may just as end as a nightmare in the end.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@belladova wrote:
Thank you for your insight
I revised the listing - lowered the price to $5.24 and adjusted shipping to "buyer will pay."
I'm assuming/hoping that eBay will calculate shipping correctly if a customer purchases all the items ... ???

NO.............you still have free shipping as the first option............

Message 15 of 23
latest reply