cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sales Tax will be a BIG issue...........

for me atleast.  Folks that say this won't be a big issue and everyone is making a big deal out of nothing I think they're wrong.    I'm not a huge seller, but I sell enough to know that it WILL be an issue for me, since over the years I bought a lot of items on Ebay to resell for a small profit.   If this goes into effect, an item from out of state that would currently cost me $100, but after this passes it will be anywhere from $113.00 to $103.00 with an average around $107.   I know this doesn't sound like much, but after paying Ebay their 10% and Paypal 3.5% the profit margins are low and now I will have to tack on another variable tax rate amount to my products cost.

Also, I know that if this passes I won't be buying as many items, since my wages haven't increased and this will just be another amount that will be taken away from my discretionary income.  I think this will hurt online sales to what extent I don't know.

Anyways, I hope it turns out for the best, but I don't think it will and most small sellers will be the ones hurt the most.  This is about helping the multiple billionare type companies while causing the small mom and pop online sellers to close up shop.

Message 1 of 193
latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: New Sales Tax will be a BIG issue...........

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

People in Washington are going to be paying use taxes everywhere not just EBay. This is a State law. Are you going to start bartering with turnips?

Snort!  You made me laugh. 

Message 31 of 193
latest reply

I will definitely not be using Ebay as much any more and I have been here since almost the beginning.
Message 32 of 193
latest reply

If you are liable for the Use Tax on ebay, you'll be charged it anywhere you buy online.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 33 of 193
latest reply

I will not be buying any more on eBay either.
I'm taxed enough living in NYS. The tax money that NY collects won't make our roads any better here. The state will just find ways to waste it like taking care of illegal immigrants. eBay just isn't fun anymore and there aren't any deals to be had.
Message 34 of 193
latest reply

and so it has happened. june 1, 2019. i was about to buy an iphone for $450. get to checkout and i see sales tax for $39. insane. that's just free money i have to give to the govt. when ebay is a FLEA MARKET. WHO pays sales tax at garage sales and flea markets? this is all second hand stuff other people do not want. obviously i passed. i can no longer buy expensive items because the benefit of doing so on ebay has vanished. i can just pay the tax in real life and save on shipping anyway by being there in real life. i feel terrible because ebay is of course not at fault although they could have done better with lobbying against this law. i guarantee sellers will be hurt, not just buyers.

Message 35 of 193
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

People in Washington are going to be paying use taxes everywhere not just EBay. This is a State law. Are you going to start bartering with turnips?

you are wrong. people do NOT pay sales tax at flea markets and garage sales. ebay is the electronic version of a flea market where most items are secondhand that others do not want. 

Message 36 of 193
latest reply

>>you are wrong. people do NOT pay sales tax at flea markets and garage sales. ebay is the electronic
>>version of a flea market where most items are secondhand that others do not want.

It would appear that the state of Washington disagrees, and that makes your opinion about what eBay is or is not irrelevant.
Message 37 of 193
latest reply

Hi in curious. I've been tax exempt in NJ For 30 some years and have always used my tax I'd# on my sales and use tax certificate sent to me back then. Ebay says that's not sufficient l.I only buy on Ebay and refuse to pay sale tax. All other online sites have excepted the cert as proof on my exemption. At the same time Ebay sent a link along with my denial..stating.l this is the official link that breaks down the laws for some states including NJ.
Am I wrong thanks
Sellers that have a physical presence in New Jersey, or who are otherwise legally obligated to collect and remit New Jersey Sales Tax, are unaffected by the new law
Message 38 of 193
latest reply

Let the companies with the bucks pay. I can barely make a profit. and I do pay all my state and federal taxes. If you're tax exempt, your tax exempt. All other online buying sites have accepted my credentials, I  don't think Ebay either just doesn't know or most likely don't care about the small time dealers 

Message 39 of 193
latest reply

I don't think you should be tax-exempt for buying personal stuff, if that's what you're implying.

Message 40 of 193
latest reply

No, I run a business  both online, and a physical shop?

Message 41 of 193
latest reply

I am sorry I didn't read most of the thread.. it hurt my head.. lol.  I just wanted to address the OP about her items costing more that she resold. In my state and the other states I have been in you have to pay "Use Tax" anyway making that a moot point really.

Maybe your state doesn't require you to pay use tax?

Message 42 of 193
latest reply

PA seller/buyer here. I was charged tax on a gold scrap sale, which should be exempt because it’s a sale based on weight and metal content. The item is exempt per PA State Tax Laws, But eBay is not following that law. That collection is a felony if not remedied. 

They sent me an individual tax exempt form twice.

They are in serious trouble if they keep this blanket taxing up.

Message 43 of 193
latest reply

@geolyn87 wrote:

PA seller/buyer here. I was charged tax on a gold scrap sale, which should be exempt because it’s a sale based on weight and metal content. The item is exempt per PA State Tax Laws, But eBay is not following that law. That collection is a felony if not remedied. 

They sent me an individual tax exempt form twice.

They are in serious trouble if they keep this blanket taxing up.

Have you done your civic duty and reported this crime to the appropriate authorities in your state?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 44 of 193
latest reply

@thechief99 wrote:

No, I run a business  both online, and a physical shop?

@thechief99 

I think, if you check with your state tax agency, that you will find what you buy for personal use is taxable and not exempt, unlike what you buy for your business to sell or use in producing whatever you are selling or using to make money (as in a service).  In fact, they may take exception to a possible abuse of the tax exempt privilege, if you use it for personal use items.

It is sort of like buying sun tan lotion, with your tax exempt status, for your vacation.  That would be for personal use and not related to business.  Or, something like, if you collect bowling balls, but sell auto bumpers, and use the tax exempt status to add to your bowling ball collection.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 45 of 193
latest reply