cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soon to US?

A couple weeks ago there was a post in the UK community where sellers were confused/concerned about a seemingly new return option in car parts.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/New-Return-Option-Car-Parts/m-p/7259380#M610265 

Instead of "doesn't fit" the return reason had been changed to "doesn't fit my vehicle" and it appeared to be handled as a not as described return reason instead of buyers remorse, which is what "doesn't fit" had been classified as previously.

They weren't sure if it was a glitch or unannounced policy change, but an announcement yesterday on the Australian community may shed some more light on it.

Basically they have in fact changed "doesn't fit my vehicle" to be a not as described return reason, which means sellers will be forced to accept the return even if they have a "no returns" policy.

But "good news sellers", eBay has "extra seller protections" now that will pay for return shipping, remove the case from service metrics, and remove negative feedback - as long as the seller provides fitment/compatibility information in the listing.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/Extra-seller-protections-thanks-to-our-Parts-amp...

Here’s how it works

If a buyer wants to return an item listed in a Car & Truck parts compatibility enabled category because it doesn't fit their vehicle, you'll have to accept the return, even if you have a no-returns policy. 

However, if you’ve added parts compatibility information to your listing — either by selecting a product from the eBay catalogue or by entering item specifics and specifying compatible vehicles — we'll protect you as follows:

• We'll cover the cost of the eBay return label* and send it to the buyer.
  • We'll automatically remove the return from your 'Not as Described' rate in your service metrics.
  • We'll automatically remove any negative or neutral feedback from that transaction.

Buyers won't be able to report an item doesn't fit their vehicle if:

• The item is not in a Car & Truck parts compatibility enabled category or
  • The seller had selected "Universal Fitment" in the Item Specifics section.

Find out how to add fitment information to your listings and more about the update here → 

*If the item isn't eligible for an eBay return label, the seller will be responsible for providing a way for the buyer to return the item. If you have set up the RMA number option in your Return preferences, you can select an eBay label when responding to the return from your Returns dashboard.

I know fitment is a big part of eBay's push to make Motors Parts & Accessories the next vertical focus, so it wouldn't surprise me if something like this will be coming soon to the US as well - just a heads up!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soo

@partfinds wrote:

I had this for navigation about a year + ago. Guy stated it doesn’t fit his car which he said is what I listed it should fit. I asked for vin and part matched his car . Case was listed as not as described. I accepted returns so it wasn’t claimed that way to force accept return.

not every „doesn’t fit” return is treated as not as described but some are.

@partfinds just to be clear, when you say "doesn't fit" returns are sometimes treated as not as described, do you mean that the buyer states in a message or their comments that it didn't fit or that the actual reason selected and shown on the return was specifically "doesn't fit"?

nofit.jpg

If the actual return reason listed is "doesn't fit", how are you determining which ones are being treated as not as described?

I definitely understand that people use wrong return reasons sometimes (either intentionally or by mistake), but I'm specifically trying to figure out if returns where the buyer actually chose the "doesn't fit" return reason are being counted as not as described here in the US.

Message 16 of 60
latest reply

Re: New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soo

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I know fitment is a big part of eBay's push to make Motors Parts & Accessories the next vertical focus, so it wouldn't surprise me if something like this will be coming soon to the US as well - just a heads up!

Well, most serious sellers in the category already use the parts compatibility already, and we offer free returns, so it won't personally change much for us.

But the bigger problem with this change is that the compatibility chart has had bugs in it for YEARS that prevents it from listing vehicles that you have on the chart! I've been reporting them since 2019 and they're STILL not fixed.

I even had a zoom meeting with Chris Prill 1-2 years ago and reported it to those in charge of the Motors category directly. It seems even they're not able to push to get the charts fixed.

So as they transition to encourage more and more sellers to use the chart, what happens to those of us who face these glitches and can't get our items seen...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281095856201

Try setting it to the very first vehicle in the chart and watch what happens.

That's what we've been dealing with for years... 

@zamo-zuan wow that's a crazy glitch. No wonder fitment is so confusing for buyers and sellers.

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wow that's a crazy glitch. No wonder fitment is so confusing for buyers and sellers.

Yep, and it's easy to find the cause. If you look at the text they have in the "engine" box it doesn't match what is in the chart.

The problem is, if we end that listing or reselect the vehicles, we are selecting the correct vehicle in the list. But in the listing itself, the search box lists the Cubic Inches and the actual vehicle in the chart doesn't:

zamozuan_0-1660837343655.png

Obviously when they updated their vehicle data, they mixed up the variables somewhere and/or didn't update the data in both places.

But this has been going on since 2019! And they've updated their vehicle data since then. So for years, they haven't actually resolved the issue by simply copying the CORRECT data to both places...?

That's insanity. Especially when eBay owns one of the largest automotive catalogs in the country.... And they still can't even get their data correct:

zamozuan_1-1660837530269.png

Message 18 of 60
latest reply

Thinking through this some more, I wonder how/if the new policies are being communicated to buyers in those markets.

It seems like the primary concern for many parts sellers on this issue is actually returns that should be "didn't fit" but are incorrectly filed by buyers under a different return reason (in my experience most commonly  "wrong item sent" or "doesn't match description").

In some cases where the seller has a no return policy or buyer pays return shipping policy, some buyers may intentionally wrongly select those reasons because they know through experience it will force the return to be accepted and the seller will have to pay for shipping.

In other cases, it may be inadvertent or the result of buyers not really reading or understanding the listing or return process (not maliciously trying to get around seller return policy, just honestly confused or believe they received something different than they ordered).

In either case - unless eBay actively educates buyers that there has been a change, I'm not sure it's going to significantly change how buyers currently act in these scenarios.

In the absence of other information, those who just want to force a return or not pay for return shipping will likely continue using reasons they know will allow them to do so.

Those who are confused by the process will also likely continue to be confused by it without any additional direction or explanation.

And if buyers continue to use those other return reasons, for whatever reason, sellers will not see much benefit from the protections since it only covers returns for "doesn't fit my vehicle".

If the goal here is to provide a better buyer experience *and* more protection for sellers, I think eBay is going to need to do much more in the way of education and directing buyers through the flow from completing purchases all the way through the entire return process.

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

Thinking through this some more, I wonder how/if the new policies are being communicated to buyers in those markets.

It seems like the primary concern for many parts sellers on this issue is actually returns that should be "didn't fit" but are incorrectly filed by buyers under a different return reason (in my experience most commonly  "wrong item sent" or "doesn't match description").

In some cases where the seller has a no return policy or buyer pays return shipping policy, some buyers may intentionally wrongly select those reasons because they know through experience it will force the return to be accepted and the seller will have to pay for shipping.

In other cases, it may be inadvertent or the result of buyers not really reading or understanding the listing or return process (not maliciously trying to get around seller return policy, just honestly confused or believe they received something different than they ordered).

In either case - unless eBay actively educates buyers that there has been a change, I'm not sure it's going to significantly change how buyers currently act in these scenarios.

In the absence of other information, those who just want to force a return or not pay for return shipping will likely continue using reasons they know will allow them to do so.

Those who are confused by the process will also likely continue to be confused by it without any additional direction or explanation.

And if buyers continue to use those other return reasons, for whatever reason, sellers will not see much benefit from the protections since it only covers returns for "doesn't fit my vehicle".

If the goal here is to provide a better buyer experience *and* more protection for sellers, I think eBay is going to need to do much more in the way of education and directing buyers through the flow from completing purchases all the way through the entire return process.

It's definitely an issue where many people will pick something to displace any blame from themselves. There's many times we could see the vehicles the customer was searching by (it leaves an order note if they search by vehicle), and then after having issue with fitment, they share a VIN# showing they entered the wrong vehicle. But then they pick a reason blaming us anyway.

zamozuan_0-1660838685051.png

"Wrong item" is by far the most selected one (of the "bad" return types) but we actually have a double verification process in our software, where two different people check the contents going in to the box and image verify them before shipping. It's VERY difficult for us to send a wrong item. Not to say it doesn't happen (some items look very similar) but realistically, that option should be one of the smallest percentages. And this applies for "Doesn't match description or photos".

Not authentic is another one... If the item is being shipped directly by the manufacturer, how on earth is it not authentic...? 

As a seller in Los Angeles, many of the people who order from us (especially locally) aren't even native English speakers, and will often choose wrong return reasons. I'm not sure what could be done about people choosing the wrong reasons.

Although one thing that would be very helpful is if eBay would allow ADJUSTMENTS. Instead of triggering service metrics/protections through a choice the buyer made when opening the case, how about correcting things when the buyer makes a mistake? 

Doubtful that would happen, as "streamlining and simplifying" customer service basically means they remove the capabilities of CS so there's less they can do. But that's the type of system that would be needed to actually protect sellers while allowing buyers to not have to worry so much about what they choose. 

We actually have to do Free Returns to keep people from lying as much on their returns. If we switched off of Free Returns, that number would shoot upwards, which itself is a sign of how abused the systems are. I'm sure eBay has statistics on that, but will they actually do anything about it...? Realistically, those statistics were likely considered before making the decision for these "protections", and that's likely why they are applying it to "doesn't fit" only...

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

It's definitely an issue where many people will pick something to displace any blame from themselves. There's many times we could see the vehicles the customer was searching by (it leaves an order note if they search by vehicle), and then after having issue with fitment, they share a VIN# showing they entered the wrong vehicle. But then they pick a reason blaming us anyway.

zamozuan_0-1660838685051.png

"Wrong item" is by far the most selected one (of the "bad" return types) but we actually have a double verification process in our software, where two different people check the contents going in to the box and image verify them before shipping. It's VERY difficult for us to send a wrong item. Not to say it doesn't happen (some items look very similar) but realistically, that option should be one of the smallest percentages. And this applies for "Doesn't match description or photos".

Not authentic is another one... If the item is being shipped directly by the manufacturer, how on earth is it not authentic...? 

As a seller in Los Angeles, many of the people who order from us (especially locally) aren't even native English speakers, and will often choose wrong return reasons. I'm not sure what could be done about people choosing the wrong reasons.

Although one thing that would be very helpful is if eBay would allow ADJUSTMENTS. Instead of triggering service metrics/protections through a choice the buyer made when opening the case, how about correcting things when the buyer makes a mistake? 

Doubtful that would happen, as "streamlining and simplifying" customer service basically means they remove the capabilities of CS so there's less they can do. But that's the type of system that would be needed to actually protect sellers while allowing buyers to not have to worry so much about what they choose. 

We actually have to do Free Returns to keep people from lying as much on their returns. If we switched off of Free Returns, that number would shoot upwards, which itself is a sign of how abused the systems are. I'm sure eBay has statistics on that, but will they actually do anything about it...? Realistically, those statistics were likely considered before making the decision for these "protections", and that's likely why they are applying it to "doesn't fit" only...

In many areas of eBay the choices a buyer or seller get to use are NOW extremely limited. Forcing either party to guess, choose incorrectly or other cases tell little white lies. And not like there is much of a process to correct after the fact. Basically 1 kick at the cat. Apologies to cat lovers!! 😉 Only an expression. Some sort of "Other...Creative term for 'Splain yourself?" if it were available would be awesome but unable to see that in the tea leaves. One of the skills I would love to have...Being psychic!! It would be extremely useful for many of us!! Guess I will have to stick with being neurotic/paranoid with a side order of 🦇!!!

-Lotz

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

„how are you determining which ones are being treated as not as described?„

It was listed in service metrics report.

this particular case was buyer was also able to open MBG  to reciver shipping that I didn’t refund .

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

Thanks for the thread!  This topic may have answered a question that I had posed to ebay (which they were not able to answer.)

I had two returns in the past few weeks that showed $0.00 as the cost of the return label.  CSRs from the Ebay for Business FB page were not able to tell me anything other than it must have been a glitch in the system.

After reading this thread and reviewing both of these return cases, the reason for return is specifically "Doesn't fit my vehicle" rather than "Changed mind" or "Ordered by mistake".

Looking into it further, I had two returns that were begun within a day of each other with similar return reasons.  One as "Doesn't fit my vehicle" (one of the $0.00 return label cases) and the other as a simple "Doesn't fit".  On the "Doesn't fit" case I was charged for the return label.  Diving deeper, I was able to see the difference in the two listings, the "Doesn't fit my vehicle" listing had the compatibility specifics entered, the other listing did not.

This could be a BIG help to our business.  As an auto parts seller I spend a lot of money on return labels for people who have chosen not to pay attention to the details.

Waiting *hopefully* here to see if I am correct.  I may see the cost of these labels added to my invoice at the end of the month.  But while I am waiting, I am off to check my active items to make sure the compatibility guide has been added.  🙂

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@partfinds wrote:

„how are you determining which ones are being treated as not as described?„

It was listed in service metrics report.

this particular case was buyer was also able to open MBG  to reciver shipping that I didn’t refund .

Thanks @partfinds  - so you're saying you've had returns where the buyer selected the return reason "doesn't fit" (as shown in my screenshot above) and eBay had that return marked as not as described in your service metrics report?

Can you post screenshots of the return showing the reason selected and that same return in the report (with customer info blocked out of course)?

That would definitely be a change and something eBay should announce or disclose somewhere, so I'd definitely be interested in looking into it more.

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@minton_motors wrote:

Thanks for the thread!  This topic may have answered a question that I had posed to ebay (which they were not able to answer.)

I had two returns in the past few weeks that showed $0.00 as the cost of the return label.  CSRs from the Ebay for Business FB page were not able to tell me anything other than it must have been a glitch in the system.

After reading this thread and reviewing both of these return cases, the reason for return is specifically "Doesn't fit my vehicle" rather than "Changed mind" or "Ordered by mistake".

Looking into it further, I had two returns that were begun within a day of each other with similar return reasons.  One as "Doesn't fit my vehicle" (one of the $0.00 return label cases) and the other as a simple "Doesn't fit".  On the "Doesn't fit" case I was charged for the return label.  Diving deeper, I was able to see the difference in the two listings, the "Doesn't fit my vehicle" listing had the compatibility specifics entered, the other listing did not.

This could be a BIG help to our business.  As an auto parts seller I spend a lot of money on return labels for people who have chosen not to pay attention to the details.

Waiting *hopefully* here to see if I am correct.  I may see the cost of these labels added to my invoice at the end of the month.  But while I am waiting, I am off to check my active items to make sure the compatibility guide has been added.  🙂

Thanks @minton_motors ! Glad it was helpful to you and very interesting to hear you're seeing this happening here in the US too.

Sounds like maybe they are running one of those unannounced tests or phased rollouts.

devon@ebay  velvet@ebay - can you confirm and/or provide any additional information for US sellers?

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

@minton_motors wrote:

@minton_motors I see most of your items have fee returns, so I'm assuming that's the case here too, but just to make sure - did the "doesn't fit" that you were charged the label for have free returns as well?

Just want to confirm if that label charge was due to how you have your policies set up, not because eBay was treating it as "not as described". 😊

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource , yes both items were free returns.  That was why I was so puzzled to see a cost of $0.00 when I provided the return label on the "Doesn't fit my vehicle" returns.

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

Interesting and timely announcement to go along with this apparent new return policy test - eBay has acquired myFitment.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-acquires-the-myfitment-group-of-companies-to-enhance-part-... 

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

i offer free returns and no matter what reason buyer chooses for returns , they are free to buyer. I am always charged for return label no matter the reason for return.

the refund maybe reduced by original shipping (if it was not free) .

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

I was trying to find it but I didn’t take screenshots and it is too old and I can’t look up case anymore. But when i get case again I will come back here

Message 30 of 60
latest reply