cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soon to US?

A couple weeks ago there was a post in the UK community where sellers were confused/concerned about a seemingly new return option in car parts.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Seller-Central/New-Return-Option-Car-Parts/m-p/7259380#M610265 

Instead of "doesn't fit" the return reason had been changed to "doesn't fit my vehicle" and it appeared to be handled as a not as described return reason instead of buyers remorse, which is what "doesn't fit" had been classified as previously.

They weren't sure if it was a glitch or unannounced policy change, but an announcement yesterday on the Australian community may shed some more light on it.

Basically they have in fact changed "doesn't fit my vehicle" to be a not as described return reason, which means sellers will be forced to accept the return even if they have a "no returns" policy.

But "good news sellers", eBay has "extra seller protections" now that will pay for return shipping, remove the case from service metrics, and remove negative feedback - as long as the seller provides fitment/compatibility information in the listing.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/eBay-Announcements/Extra-seller-protections-thanks-to-our-Parts-amp...

Here’s how it works

If a buyer wants to return an item listed in a Car & Truck parts compatibility enabled category because it doesn't fit their vehicle, you'll have to accept the return, even if you have a no-returns policy. 

However, if you’ve added parts compatibility information to your listing — either by selecting a product from the eBay catalogue or by entering item specifics and specifying compatible vehicles — we'll protect you as follows:

• We'll cover the cost of the eBay return label* and send it to the buyer.
  • We'll automatically remove the return from your 'Not as Described' rate in your service metrics.
  • We'll automatically remove any negative or neutral feedback from that transaction.

Buyers won't be able to report an item doesn't fit their vehicle if:

• The item is not in a Car & Truck parts compatibility enabled category or
  • The seller had selected "Universal Fitment" in the Item Specifics section.

Find out how to add fitment information to your listings and more about the update here → 

*If the item isn't eligible for an eBay return label, the seller will be responsible for providing a way for the buyer to return the item. If you have set up the RMA number option in your Return preferences, you can select an eBay label when responding to the return from your Returns dashboard.

I know fitment is a big part of eBay's push to make Motors Parts & Accessories the next vertical focus, so it wouldn't surprise me if something like this will be coming soon to the US as well - just a heads up!

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soo

Does not fit is a common problem on the auto parts sales due to the listing says it will: when it will not.

That is of course an item not as described case;

over clothing were a user ordered the wrong size....

As for all them no returns sayings: does not mean no refunds: eBay money back guarantee (which all sellers on eBay agrees to due to using eBay) over rides such.

Hope to see it soon in the US.

Would like to see the search fixed first, so they could find a part first....LOL

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Re: New Return Policy/Seller Protections For Parts & Accessories UK & Australia - coming soo

@valueaddedresource,

According to one vehicle parts seller recently, this is already in place for vehicle parts listings on eBay Motors here on eBay.com.

Here's a link to the beginning of the discussion, where @partfinds says that for their listings, "doesn't fit" is considered to be not-as-described.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/42-Days-SInce-Delivery-Why-does-e-Bay-allow-a-Buyer-to-file-if...

It appears that they have been experiencing this for some time, because they don't mention this as a new thing, but just their normal experience.

This has not been announced here, as it was on the other eBay sites, and it appears to have taken most responders by surprise, and they didn't believe it.

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

I get does not fit returns all the time.  Buyers order the left side when they needed the right side.  Buyers order the wrong color because cars have different interior and exterior color options for the same model year.  Buyers order a tail light that fits in the trunk when they needed a light that fits in the body.  The same model car may have 3-4 different head light options , and buyers can't be bothered to read the description before they buy.   There are many things on popular cars that can be different in the same mode  year, and buyers pay no attention to part numbers, pictures and descriptions no mater how many times you put it in the listing.   Just because something fits a 2007 Honda accord, does not mean it fits every 2007 accord.  

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Does not fit is a common problem on the auto parts sales due to the listing says it will: when it will not.

That is of course an item not as described case;

over clothing were a user ordered the wrong size....

As for all them no returns sayings: does not mean no refunds: eBay money back guarantee (which all sellers on eBay agrees to due to using eBay) over rides such.

Hope to see it soon in the US.

Would like to see the search fixed first, so they could find a part first....LOL

@donsdetour - as someone who has worked for companies in the motors categories for years, I can honestly say most of the times when I've had a buyer have an issue with "doesn't fit" it was a case of the buyer not reading the description or doing enough research to make sure they were buying the correct item for their application.

Can't speak for others but again in my experience, doesn't fit was very often correctly a remorse return, just like in clothing, which then did allow for sellers to not accept the return if that was their policy (we all know there could be a chargeback or buyer could have selected not as described to force the return etc. but that's not the point here).

As far as the listing saying it will fit - I've heard of and experienced some things that would call the accuracy of eBay's catalog data into question, so that may not necessarily be the fault of the seller in all case, which means it's good that eBay is at least providing some protection from sellers on this as long as catalog data or fitment charts were used.

Will this be good for the buyer experience? Probably. But personally, I have mixed feelings on the seller side.

If eBay had a robust customer service operation that had demonstrated the ability to handle issues well, I'd feel a little better about it, but I'm not sure I trust the automated systems to get the whole shipping label, removing cases from service metrics, and removing negatives right 100% of the time and I feel sorry for any seller who may have to try to appeal to customer service to help them out if it doesn't.

Definitely agree about fixing search being a bigger priority though! LOL

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@valueaddedresource,

According to one vehicle parts seller recently, this is already in place for vehicle parts listings on eBay Motors here on eBay.com.

Here's a link to the beginning of the discussion, where @partfinds says that for their listings, "doesn't fit" is considered to be not-as-described.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/42-Days-SInce-Delivery-Why-does-e-Bay-allow-a-Buyer-to-file-if...

It appears that they have been experiencing this for some time, because they don't mention this as a new thing, but just their normal experience.

This has not been announced here, as it was on the other eBay sites, and it appears to have taken most responders by surprise, and they didn't believe it.

Thanks @lacemaker3 - I had missed that one!

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

@rockmafia5 wrote:

I get does not fit returns all the time.  Buyers order the left side when they needed the right side.  Buyers order the wrong color because cars have different interior and exterior color options for the same model year.  Buyers order a tail light that fits in the trunk when they needed a light that fits in the body.  The same model car may have 3-4 different head light options , and buyers can't be bothered to read the description before they buy.   There are many things on popular cars that can be different in the same mode  year, and buyers pay no attention to part numbers, pictures and descriptions no mater how many times you put it in the listing.   Just because something fits a 2007 Honda accord, does not mean it fits every 2007 accord.  

@rockmafia5 if you don't mind sharing, when you get "doesn't fit" returns currently, is it handled as a remorse return or a not as described return by eBay?

It looks like you usually do 30 day buyer pays, so if it's remorse then the buyer should have to pay, if eBay is treating it like not as described they would require you to provide a label.

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

There is a good reason that auto part stores have high margins on parts so as to cover the returns.

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

All of my returns for "does not fit" have been remorse returns with the buyer paying shipping to return...so far.

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

There is a good reason that auto part stores have high margins on parts so as to cover the returns.

Good point @m60driver - but is the same true here, especially after paying FVF, promoted listings, etc?

I would guess larger sellers that stock new parts for mostly modern vehicles might be in a different position on this whole returns issue than smaller sellers and/or those selling used, vintage or custom/specialized parts.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

@partfinds   

I wonder if this has anything to do with the problems you were referencing on the other thread.  Just wanted to page you to take a look.  I don't sell auto parts, so I won't be delving into these details, but thought you'd like to know. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

Spoken like someone who does not sell in the auto parts industry.

Many items have margins of $5 or less. And that's with the very best competitive prices in the category (manufacturer prices). Which only a handful of the sellers in the category could even compete with.

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I know fitment is a big part of eBay's push to make Motors Parts & Accessories the next vertical focus, so it wouldn't surprise me if something like this will be coming soon to the US as well - just a heads up!

Well, most serious sellers in the category already use the parts compatibility already, and we offer free returns, so it won't personally change much for us.

But the bigger problem with this change is that the compatibility chart has had bugs in it for YEARS that prevents it from listing vehicles that you have on the chart! I've been reporting them since 2019 and they're STILL not fixed.

I even had a zoom meeting with Chris Prill 1-2 years ago and reported it to those in charge of the Motors category directly. It seems even they're not able to push to get the charts fixed.

So as they transition to encourage more and more sellers to use the chart, what happens to those of us who face these glitches and can't get our items seen...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/281095856201

Try setting it to the very first vehicle in the chart and watch what happens.

That's what we've been dealing with for years... 

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

It also annoys me when they claim „wrong item sent” when you send them what was in the listing. Then they add in the comment his car is … and the part doesn’t fit.

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

I had this for navigation about a year + ago. Guy stated it doesn’t fit his car which he said is what I listed it should fit. I asked for vin and part matched his car . Case was listed as not as described. I accepted returns so it wasn’t claimed that way to force accept return.

not every „doesn’t fit” return is treated as not as described but some are.

Message 15 of 60
latest reply