cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Policy starting on 11.12.2023 Bad Buyer Experience why all this?

Dear eBay seller,

Starting from December 11, 2023, eBay will launch a new service standard policy i.e., Bad Buyer Experience (“BBE”) Rate. We request you to please visit the policy page for the detailed information.

The sellers whose BBE rate is much higher than the peer market average may be subject to a range of actions including, but not limited to, administratively ending or removing listings, adjusting selling limits, holding the payment, enforcing buying or selling restrictions, or suspending the relevant accounts.

Your account will be evaluated each Wednesday. Once the policy is launched, the sellers are requested to refer their Seller Dashboard to check the performance of their respective sellers account.

Thanks,

eBay

What is point of this new policies? If seller have more than 99% positive feedback why all this? If buyer love seller why some metric needed to decide for selling limits or restrictions.

By the way I am 10 years here, have last 3 months restriction because INR rate on USA and Canada because post was late in post strike last year. Even should be protected by policy in this cases ebay teammates in 90% dont even know to look tracking, I need to appeal 2-3 times and to explain where to click, they dont know their own policies, so why all this?

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

FYI, this doesn't appear to be for U.S. sellers, at this time anyway. 

Message 16 of 93
latest reply

Strongly agreed dear friend,

But the thing is if we are doing business with E bay , we have to obey their policies and rules. How sad that there are many things to stop or limit sellers. But we have to understand that Ebay is try their best to protect both buyers and sellers.

Message 17 of 93
latest reply

Because there are too many flaky sellers...and too much trash being sold.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 18 of 93
latest reply

I'm EU seller.

Just one personal example of many.

Once 2021  my account was restricted because INR in USA area was at 100%.

I  had shipped during 3 month to USA  one item and it was late, there came 100%

Tracking number was provided to Ebay instantly after sales and it stated that shipment arrived to US post warehouse in 14 days and there was no more tracking records.

Buyer didn't open any claim but still I received Ebay message of 30 days restriction. After 60 days in USPS there appeared also missing tracking info - in fact item was delivered in 25 days.

I expect to happen from BBE even more harm because very often electronics buyers misuse these 2 conditions:

3. Low Detailed Seller Ratings (“Low DSR”): a buyer left a Detailed Seller Rating score of 1, 2, or 3 for “Item as Described”

4. Neutral/Negative Feedback (“NNFB”): a buyer left Neutral or Negative feedback for a seller.

Message 19 of 93
latest reply

Most of the bad buying experiences I have had would not allow me to leave feedback for 10 days or something, by which time I was doing something else.

Message 20 of 93
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@ckimodog 

There was a "new" item not received policy was implemented for Southeast Asian sellers in July, yes. It may be more accurate to say it applies for sellers selling to the USA/Europe from other regions, since it is on export.ebay.com. It went into effect July 24, 2023, but it also seemed to be retroactive for the previous 45 days before the evaluations, which are every 2nd Monday in this case.

https://export.ebay.com/en/regulations/ebay-policies/shipping-performance-policy-item-not-received-r...

Since that time, some sellers were also being contacted with eBay messages mentioning bad buyer experience. That may have been done as a warning for sellers who were likely to be affected by the upcoming policy. 

It looks as though this bad buyer experience policy has only just been formalized and published, on export.ebay.com like the earlier policy. The policy page does say that it is going into effect Dec 11, 2023, but it is retroactive for 3 months before the first evaluation date. That will be Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2023, so it covers transactions back to Sept. 10, 2023, as I quoted earlier. Evaluations are to be every Wednesday.

https://export.ebay.com/en/regulations/ebay-policies/bber/

@lacemaker3 I think you're exactly right about who this applies to and more importantly who it doesn't apply to.

devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay can you please confirm that this does not apply to US sellers on the .com site selling to US buyers? Can you provide a list of countries this would apply to?

I'm seeing this get picked up across YouTube and social media missing that very important caveat of who exactly this applies to, so it might be a good idea to clarify before panic sets in. 

Message 21 of 93
latest reply

Most of sellers are buyers and they are leaving not because of "bad sellers" they are leaving because of Ebay bad service (greed and bad policies)

Message 22 of 93
latest reply

and that has nothing to do with the post that I replied to 😐

Message 23 of 93
latest reply

I understand but this are all automated rates and restrictions in mine case for INR rate

15 reported dont get in time and shipped same day and one part of INR policy says:

We will protect sellers who ship on time even item is delivered late.

But nobody cares

Message 24 of 93
latest reply

@comicscauldron wrote:

Most of sellers are buyers and they are leaving not because of "bad sellers" they are leaving because of Ebay bad service (greed and bad policies)

Well I dont who you're talking to but between camp, parties, hanging out at two local storefronts at times  not to mention I read credible financial/retail association sites regularly.  What you're saying is untrue.  Just a fact, its not disputable.  There is no HUGE uptick of buyers at Etsy, Mercari or any other comparable web venue.

There are however upticks at venues such as Temu, Walmart Online, Amazon Online, Macy's and many many other retailers.  A bad experience or many will drive any consumer including you and I from a venue, I loath Walmart for example albeit I've bought a TV and Grill there as deal was too good ignore.  That TV was $270 thereabouts dollars, same model here, try $700.   My lady has at least two times I know of shopped online finding the exact items on eBay and Amazon were CONSIDERBLY more expensive than online retailers.

When Overstock.com existed I bought five different times there, three times no problem.  Fourth time, HUGE hassle... Fifth time, that was the charm, no more.  That's all it takes especially when people can spend there money elsewhere.

The problem here is folks price "What they please" what they think something is worth, doesn't mean the consumer thinks it worth that.  Just ask yourself, "Would I buy it for this price."  Thats all.  I regularly accept offers considerably below what I'm asking and old PC Software isn't exactly the "in thing" these days.  Now eBay sits on the same street as every other retailer, imagine a huge flea market on one side of a road.  On the other side sits EVERY significant retailer going, Walmart, Amazon, Target, Macy's, Kohls, The Home Store, Home Depot, on and on... EVERY ONE all competing for the customer.  That's where we are and that's now not going to change, thats the eCommerce wake of Covid.  Not disputable.  So where are you going to shop?

You walk into the flea market and find pricing of things also over at those retailers for MORE money, significantly more money.  You collect things, whatever they may be and flea market vendors some care barter to reach a mutually acceptable price and others just tell, "No... Go Away."  How you gonna feel about that?  Got sellers here who think the Shieks in Saudi Arabia are coming shopping for a painting listed at $300 versus Mom who wants put it in the Kids Bedroom and is willing to pay $80 for something that the seller bought at a yard sale for $25.  Anyone doesn't think price matters well then they never bought anything, they're just out the womb and approaching one year old.

I walk into the flea market and Junior says, "Oh look! Ferrari Hot Wheel!"  Yea, $25!

"But me want!"

Yeah, ok, see what he says... "I give ya $15 as my kid loves it!"

"Nope... It's worth $30!"

Buh bye...  I can go across the road to Walmart for $30 and get the kid 15 cars, he'll be even more happy.

Every seller here COMPETES FOR THE DOLLAR NOW against EVERY retailer online.  Thats the deal and that's why you're seeing sales falloffs.  #1 reason and once customers continue to see inflated prices they eventually dont bother come back not to mention times being rough for many a consumer. 

"My college loan is more important then my lust for having a mint copy of Gamecube Mario Kart for $150!!!! 300% more than it cost new!"

Doesn't have to be you... You're pricing and flexibility may be MAGNIFICENT but if the lions share of other sellers are not, thats that.

Then theirs TRUST like I said...  Macy's can be out of stock on something nobody looses their mind.  But when they PAY already HERE and things go wrong, YES, many go off the deep end.  That's a stack of plates.  The fact these three other sellers you've no links to whatsoever other than they sell here but THIS customer had poor experiences with them REFLECTS ON YOU.  That means when that customer is coming to buy they've an expectation right from word go, "Man this better not go wrong or I'm done with this place!"

Understand?

eBay has faced many a challenge over many many years and navigated treacherous waters brilliantly.  Once upon a time there were HORDES of these types of sites and eBay kicked every single one of em's bumms.  NOW however there are new challenges as I mentioned above AND the fact that consumers are buying a dinky little phones.  Home PC is DEAD, only place they've harbor is in business, PC Gamers and college students with laptops, thats it.

I find it remarkable how many sellers care beat up on eBay yet offer NO solutions to anything that are well thought out.

"Oh eBay doesnt advertise!"  Nope not at all, thats why I see it on Roku, Cellphone games, pay Streaming channels and as of last night even on the Weather Channel's website up top banner.

I've said before maybe eBay should control pricing.  Seller tell em' what they paid for something, eBay sells it making profit and done.  If the seller care lie or whatever trying get high price, welp, too bad, they wont be trying sell it again.  Done.  Next.  You watch, Amazons solution to Walmart wanting destroy them is consignment of salables from all but "The chosen few" and using FBA... However, pricing is going to end AI generated, watch and see... You didn't hear it from me.

Dont blame eBay for things completely out of eBays control that includes the economy, sellers wanting think like things are the same as they were 20 years ago, retailers sucking in consumers year round with spectacular deals and more.

As I said, where are all the new ideas well thought out from sellers on these boards about how eBay might do better as a company and for both buyers and sellers.

Message 25 of 93
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay can you please confirm that this does not apply to US sellers on the .com site selling to US buyers? Can you provide a list of countries this would apply to?

My understanding is eBay Export policies apply to all sellers on .com that are not based in the US or Canada.

Message 26 of 93
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

My understanding is eBay Export policies apply to all sellers on .com that are not based in the US or Canada.

Thanks @wastingtime101 that is my understanding as well but I thought someone at eBay might want to make an explicit statement to that effect to try to get out ahead of the crowd that is already spreading this around as if it does apply to US and Canada sellers too.

Past experience tells me they probably won't, but it never hurts to try. 😂

Message 27 of 93
latest reply

I am going to say it right here, but has eBay lost their minds. We sell used auto parts and we have customers that need to use - "Doesn't Fit" and/or “Doesn’t fit my vehicle” because they tend to buy the wrong item regardless of us using eBay Fitment, having all of our item specifics filled out, and 10+ images. “Doesn’t fit my vehicle” is where eBay provides the label to the customer, because they used the fitment tool, but eBay doesn't realize how much incorrect vehicle data is in their fitment tool. This is going to be a real joy come 12/11.

• Significantly Not as Described (“SNAD”): a buyer returned an item and gave a return reason that indicates “Item Not as Described”, including “Doesn’t work or defective” / “Doesn’t match description or photos” / “Wrong item sent” / “Missing parts or pieces” / “Arrived damaged” / “Doesn’t seem authentic” / “Doesn’t fit my vehicle”;

Message 28 of 93
latest reply

Then for about the last 2 years, Neutral and Negative feedback didn't count against us. But now it is back to having it count against us in the back end via a new set of metrics. Now what makes this worse is that customers can just leave negatives at free will and they have made it so difficult to remove these kinds of things even when the buyer has admitted it is their fault. We have some of the most top notch customer service here, and even trying to help unreasonable people it becomes a real pain. Not sure what their agenda is anymore but they want to just keep cracking away at the sellers.

Message 29 of 93
latest reply

Thanks! i hope all sellers will leave this s..... platform. getting worse.....

Message 30 of 93
latest reply