cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New List of Prohibited Words for Sellers Who Sold an Item Using the "I" Word.....

So the eBay robots and back room dictators decide whether an item you are selling violates their Ivory policy. It does not matter if the item is actually bone or Ivory Soap or Ivory colored, once you are in their sights, nothing you can do to correct the "violation". If you have been convicted without the benefit of judge, jury or trial, they punish you by forever preventing you from using certain words in your Title or Description. Don't try to ask them for a list to save time, the list is a "secret". If some ignorant agent gives you a list, it is very brief, like "vintage and antique". Through trial and error, here is a list that may still be incomplete. Keep in mind this list is some knucklehead's attempt at preventing listing ivory from endangered animals. If you are confounded by some of the words, join the club.

VINTAGE

ANTIQUE

VICTORIAN

CARVED

CARVING

EBONY

HORN

BONE

IVORY

ELEPHANT

BOVINE

TUSK

DAMASCUS

TOOTH

TEETH

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

New List of Prohibited Words for Sellers Who Sold an Item Using the "I" Word.....

I certainly don't agree with vintage on that list........I probably use it in 40-50% of my items.......never had a problem

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I had a problem with the word ivory. I was sent a warning and I switched to off-white for the color.  Not a problem. I also use the word vintage whenever I sell a vintage gi joe  or other toy and have not had an issue.  I have a small wood carved panther on ebay now and have not had a problem either.  

Maybe certain combinations of words trigger the ebay bots and they end up closing the auctions.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

It is possible that you are using these as keywords in your "Item title" -- where sellers may use up to 80 characters to describe the item for sale.  That is probably attracting the 'bots.

If possible, don't use those terms in the "item title" -- you can probably still use them elsewhere in your listing, without raising the eBay hackles.

Try it and see!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

We use several of those. In our titles and more. Probably on about half our items. No problems.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

It may have something to do with the category you are listing in. Like some of the others who have responded I currently have listings for "ivory", Dinosaur Bones", "Fossils" as record titles or song names and I have never received a warning for anything. My listings are all in the media category as vinyl records or song titles. I am sure I have others, but these are just a few examples.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Using the word 'faux" is a big no no.  Has to be simulated.  Found out the hard way and had to amend many listings after a warning.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I've sold multiple items with "vintage," "carved," and "elephant" in their titles. No issues here. In fact, you can even see some of them in my sold listings.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Because you have not been "convicted" of a violation. Once eBay decides you have committed an Ivory violation, they will deny you the use of the words in question. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

No. "Convicted Violators" cannot use the words in the Title or the Description. To prove how ridiculous it is, you CAN use the words in any of the Item Specifics categories. it makes no sense whatsoever, but that is eBay. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

You have not violated the "Ivory" policy. It is a special unappealable punishment. 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Yes. I have now expanded the "secret list" as I run into more words that are offensive to eBay but only for "Ivory Violators". 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

It must be me. My post must not be clear. The prohibitions are for those who have "violated" eBay's "Ivory" policy. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Yes. That is a whole other kettle of worms. Hope I can say that. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply