cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AI Generated Item Description In Catalog is Dangerously Bad

I don't know how many sellers have noticed, but eBay is now using some sort of AI to generate "About This Product" text for its catalog. Firstly, it seems like being assigned to a catalog entry is no longer easy. Even if you don't use the catalog to create your listing, eBay's back end often assigns you to it.

The catalog has always been poorly done. From it's stock photos, to the assumption that the item you are selling actually matches the item specifics and description in the catalog, the end result has been buyers submitting more NAD claims than ever.

But now we have new AI generated descriptions.

There are three major problems with it:

1) It's LONG. It takes up 3/4 of my 32" monitor screen, so you can imagine how much space it takes up on a phone. 

2) It's WRONG. Yes, AIs can generate useful text, but they can also generate nonsensical drivel. Check out the catalog Product Information text for this listing.  Half of the text is not true or misleading. Other parts do not pertain to what I am selling (like choosing Black for the body color or saying that it comes with a lens).

3) This isn't necessarily an AI issue, but the catalog's item specifics are often wrong or incomplete. eBay does not appear to be using authoritative sources for their information, but randomly picking a seller's listing to use in the catalog.

Here is how to fix it:

1) Short term fix: Do not apply the catalog to any items other than New or Open Box, unless the seller specifically chooses to use the catalog. This will help prevent misleading information from being associated with a listing.

2) Stop using an AI to generate item descriptions - especially without having a human expert verify that the information is accurate. 

3) Limit the length of the catalog description to 300 words to avoid it taking up so much of the screen.

4) Make use of the catalog optional.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: New AI Generated Item Description In Catalog is Dangerously Bad

We didn't enter a UPC. We never do on used products. That was ALL pulled from the catalog.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Again, you really need to learn what you are talking about what you post. Otherwise, you end up misleading eBay sellers. The AI-generated text is NOT voluntary! If the catalog picks up your listing (even when you entered no UPC or GTIN), you are stuck with it. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

From ebay's help pages "If you’d like to remove the details, simply uncheck the Prefill this listing with eBay catalog info box at the top of the page."

https://www.ebay.com/help/listings/creating-managing-listings/listing-item-product-details-catalog?i...

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Its just rewording what is already there.  It s a word salad rearrangement.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Hello Kitty is a prison guard? What?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Yeah, doesn't work. It still gets picked up by the catalog. It must be some sort of automated process.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

It has always worked for me.

Is there anyone else reading this who can confirm one way or the other?

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

AI like self driving cars, you have to expect an oops now and then.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Agree!  These AI generated descriptions (particularly for vinyl records) are ridiculously worded as well as often misleading in terms of grades assigned to the record and jacket/inserts making it almost always necessary to contact the seller to actually determine what they are selling.   Because of this, I am starting to avoid sellers that use AI to describe their items -  BAD IDEA eBay!  Too bad AI didn’t tell you that!

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Like a Seinfeld J. Peterman catalog description gone wrong. Completely unhelpful in determining condition of a used product. I usually just pass over the listing when confronted with the AI drivel.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@cowtown308 wrote:

Like a Seinfeld J. Peterman catalog description gone wrong. Completely unhelpful in determining condition of a used product. I usually just pass over the listing when confronted with the AI drivel.

Yes, and that's the problem. When people encounter drivel, they move on.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

It is good I found your post.  As solely a buyer, I am fed up with cut and paste descriptions that sound as though coming from (bad) marketing companies.  I have read that sellers are having these descriptions forced on them, but am I wrong in thinking that sellers could better clarify what it is they are selling, and, the big one for me - the blasted dimensions.  

I am a lightweight buyer, but am regularly looking at listings, and, if a buyer has bothered to note the details, I find I'm about ready to send them letters of gratitude for doing so, and far more likely to make a purchase.  But how many times do I have to write to a seller to ask dimensions?  Doesn't it take up more time for the seller to answer inquiries than to just put the dimensions somewhere in the listing?  (And you cannot always "just find a different seller who does enter specifications, as you know, because the item is often one-of-a-kind).  Thank you.

PS  I don't think that long-time sellers should have to write length disclaimers stipulating such things as:  "The image shown is exactly what I send." and "My description is self-written." or some such.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply