cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never show your hands

I am watching a major jewelry retailer selling rings and necklaces etc. on television.

I can remember getting chewed out big time when I listed a ring while on my ring finger..it hurt so badly my feelings that from then on, I listed rings either in a case or end of a ring sizer..this TV show sells rings on some pretty hands with nice painted manicured nails as well as ugly looking hands..why do they not portray their products professionally

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Never show your hands

@jewelbiz 

< eyeglasses which I buy all the time with some smirking stinking woman “modeling” them >   

Smirking?  I haven't seen that.  I think one purpose of having a stunning babe be modeling the glasses is to send a suggestion that if you wear the glasses you'll look that good too.  Advertisers had been using forms of subliminal messaging even further back than when Vance Packard wrote/published "The Hidden Persuaders" in 1957.  

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

And yet, many of those items sell...........  while I certainly agree w clean hands, nice fingernails......  it's important to realize that not everyone cares.....  and, in today's world......tattoos may resonate with alot of younger buyers.....

Actually bought an LP recently....it was an elderly hand holding it up on one side and a smaller elderly hand on the right, helping to steady it for the pix.

I bought theirs as it was avg priced and I supported an elder seller.  Their "hands" helped sell it!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I’m the stunning babe…

Never cared what others looked like as always since birth pleased with myself, my own style & looks.

Again repeating hate the Woman modeling eyeglasses & prefer to see just the eyeglasses not her  face I detest!

Bought 3 eyeglasses so far just this year 2022 as recently found out my prescription changed since 2018 & needed an entire new array of glasses; tinted, clear, transitions and now am about to buy black sunglasses 🕶  for beach.

Also want to buy cat eyes next.  Tried on Chanel cat’s eyes glasses but accepted they were too big for my face.

When I see that woman’s face I close it immediately down & plan to go to another different retail store here in Manhattan to look see what’s in the store to buy not on eBay.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

🙂

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

My Father was a professional photographer.

He spent hours looking through art books trying to find the best way to pose hands ....not even in close ups but just in general pictures.  It became obvious to him the hardest thing to photograph was the human hand because...well, most of us do not have perfect hands.  There really are such things as "hand models".

Yes, I agree....I hate seeing hands in pictures holding things up.  There are many creative ways to prop something up instead of holding it.  Small boxes hidden in white cloth....plates in plate holders...between puppy paws....very thin wire...

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz 

< Never cared what others looked like ... [except the glasses model whose]  face I detest! > 

I think I understand what's going on here.  Good luck, and I hope you find the shape you're looking for.  My personal taste, I prefer the "Buddy Holly" style:  plain, black, squarish frames with rounded bottom corners. 

gosimus_1-1652035827495.jpeg

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

And yet, many of those items sell...........  while I certainly agree w clean hands, nice fingernails......  it's important to realize that not everyone cares.....  and, in today's world......tattoos may resonate with alot of younger buyers.....

Actually bought an LP recently....it was an elderly hand holding it up on one side and a smaller elderly hand on the right, helping to steady it for the pix.

I bought theirs as it was avg priced and I supported an elder seller.  Their "hands" helped sell it!

Nice to hear it.  I'm not that old, but I live in a super dry climate & suddenly in the last 5 years, my hands have aged greatly & I'm starting to get self conscious on the few occasions they have to appear in photos 😞

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

The only time I used my hands was when I was showing antique books, and they I used blue gloves lol, but there was no other way to gently hold them open.  I did manual labour when I was younger and then worked as a bike courier for years outdoors in all weather hauling along, then boxed.  I like my strong, work-hardened hands, but they're not really good for photoing.  There *are* hand models - few and far between.  I have a little hand mannequin I use.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 23
latest reply