cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never show your hands

I am watching a major jewelry retailer selling rings and necklaces etc. on television.

I can remember getting chewed out big time when I listed a ring while on my ring finger..it hurt so badly my feelings that from then on, I listed rings either in a case or end of a ring sizer..this TV show sells rings on some pretty hands with nice painted manicured nails as well as ugly looking hands..why do they not portray their products professionally

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Never show your hands

@daneiac 

I hear you, today while helping research for a poster on the jewelry forum, I ran across a man's ring on ebay. It was being modeled on a sellers hand with tats on each knuckle!

I think TV programs shows very different than a photo taken on a cell phone. Unless the seller has absolutely perfect polished fingernails and their hands are free of veins and scars then I say what you are doing to display your jewelry is appropriate. 

I also ran across another seller using a long thin stainless pointer to hold rings ( I think it was a nut remover) it actually looked very ingenious!

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

I've been known to use a glass candlestick.  The ring drops in and stays upright. I try to only show a hand when someone requests  a picture of what it looks like on a finger. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

@evelyb30 

Nice! And good idea also!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

Those shows tend to really differ as to the quality & appeal level.  Ever watch the knife show?  It's a hoot.  Personally, while I don't mind seeing jewelry on a person & tattoos don't bother me, nothing grosses me out more than close-ups of dirty fingernails, which I see on all kinds of listings, often NOT jewelry.  I think sticking with non-human models is best just to avoid any possible ick factor.  In Clothing, lots of buyers do NOT want to see the clothing on a human model, when that is the piece they are going to receive. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

It is really difficult to take professional photos, and it takes time to learn,

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

People see dirty fingernails and down goes you auction price for your item. If your hands are not model grade do not bother. Also I think when they see an elderly persons fingers, hands, they assume you are grandma just looking to dump your items to pay the bills. No offense to grandma’s here. I am old enough to be grandma as well.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

@evelyb30 wrote:

I've been known to use a glass candlestick.  The ring drops in and stays upright. I try to only show a hand when someone requests  a picture of what it looks like on a finger. 

What a great idea!  TY for sharing!!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

I love the photos where they shown a piece of jewelry they want a grand for with a picture of it on them sitting in their car.  No item specifics, they say something like, I think it’s a diamond? Oh yeah I am gonna pay a grand for that for sure. LOL.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

Those shows tend to really differ as to the quality & appeal level.  Ever watch the knife show?  It's a hoot.  Personally, while I don't mind seeing jewelry on a person & tattoos don't bother me, nothing grosses me out more than close-ups of dirty fingernails, which I see on all kinds of listings, often NOT jewelry.  I think sticking with non-human models is best just to avoid any possible ick factor.  In Clothing, lots of buyers do NOT want to see the clothing on a human model, when that is the piece they are going to receive. 

You are correct - I too have an aversion to seeing clothing displayed that way.  Yes, intellectually I know it is pre-owned and someone wore it, but seeing the seller wear it/model it is not appealing in a listing.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

There are so many photo editing software products now and some that come standard on most laptops and mobile devices. Also if you use Apple IPad products that Ipen works wonders on touching up colors, removing background etc.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

nothing grosses me out more than close-ups of dirty fingernails, which I see on all kinds of listings, often NOT jewelry.

The really gnarly ones have infected hangnails🤢  I've seen a couple of those, one was a particularly gruesome closeup.  Never hit a back button so fast in my life.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

And yet, many of those items sell...........  while I certainly agree w clean hands, nice fingernails......  it's important to realize that not everyone cares.....  and, in today's world......tattoos may resonate with alot of younger buyers.....

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

I only want to see the eyeglasses not her!  I HATE her!  Aversion to her big time!

Buy now not online but making trips all over town to retail eyeglass stores.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Never show your hands

There are other parts of the body you should never show in product photos, but that kinda goes without saying.    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 15 of 23
latest reply