cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative PayPal Balance... How long do I have to pay?

Hi. I recently accepted a return on eBay and now my PayPal balance is -$81.92. The original transaction money ($145) is on hold. How long do I have to pay this negative balance? I should be able to pay it off within a few weeks but is that not fast enough? Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@saputo_technologies wrote:

Hi. I recently accepted a return on eBay and now my PayPal balance is -$81.92. The original transaction money ($145) is on hold. How long do I have to pay this negative balance? I should be able to pay it off within a few weeks but is that not fast enough? Thanks.

It is not worth the risk of waiting a "few weeks" to fund your PP account.  Wait too long to fund it and PP could start putting a hold on all payments you receive until they are satisfied they have waited long enough.

For me, I always keep some money in my PP account just in case a buyer files a claim or request.  I know that can be hard to do at times, but I find it gives me piece of mind and I don't have to worry about negative blances.

But because I do mine this way, I'm really not sure how long PP will allow you to have a negative balance without trying to pull the money from your attached bank account or credit card.  You really should call PP tomorrow and ask them.  Then come and post it here as it would be a good thing for all of us to know.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@saputo_technologies  If you are on the end of month eBay Billing cycle then their Sept Fees are due to be paid (if automatically set up OR manually) by Oct 15 to 17.  You can always transfer $$ back in to PayPal from your bank account just to be safe.  Do NOT risk not paying your eBay FVFs late, it could result in restrictions on your account.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I already paid it as soon as the original listing ended. So my invoice is clear thankfully.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

It is not worth the risk of waiting a "few weeks" to fund your PP account.  Wait too long to fund it and PP could start putting a hold on all payments you receive until they are satisfied they have waited long enough.

For me, I always keep some money in my PP account just in case a buyer files a claim or request.  I know that can be hard to do at times, but I find it gives me piece of mind and I don't have to worry about negative blances.

But because I do mine this way, I'm really not sure how long PP will allow you to have a negative balance without trying to pull the money from your attached bank account or credit card.  You really should call PP tomorrow and ask them.  Then come and post it here as it would be a good thing for all of us to know.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

1st, you need to have more than one item listed.  You can't rely on that phone selling to get you out of debt to pay pal.  If it doesn't sell you won't have the $$.  Maybe you could lower the BIN price to make it a super deal, sell it and save yourself.  It may not make you happy to take a loss but it will put an end to your "problem".

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

PayPal will simply use any new payments received from any sale to pay it off. Hopefully you will sell something that will take care of it. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Wonderful! First ebay wants us to sell our items for $0.99 with free shipping. Now people are in here telling u to take a loss. Unbelievable. This place is a joke. N yes,
I came on here to say that.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@702new2u wrote:
Wonderful! First ebay wants us to sell our items for $0.99 with free shipping. Now people are in here telling u to take a loss. Unbelievable. This place is a joke. N yes,
I came on here to say that.

@discountme

Ebay has ALWAYS suggested to start auctions for 99 cents from time to time.  It isn't a new thing and it is MERELY A SUGGESTION.  You have the ability to CHOOSE whether or not to take that suggestion.  If you choose to apply the suggestion, then it is YOUR decision to do so, NOT Ebay's.

As for "people are in here telling u to take a loss", obviously you have read into something that wasn't actually said.  There is NOT one single poster on this thread that said that or suggested that, other than you.    I think you simply misunderstand something.  If you have questions, please post them, we may be able to help you with whatever issue or concern you may have.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I'm not relying on that phone to sell thankfully. I'm not being paided until Friday though. Hope PayPal can wait until then.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I'm not relying on that phone to sell thankfully. I'm not being paided until Friday though. Hope PayPal can wait until then.

Have you called them?  If you haven't, you should.  At the very least to let them know you will transfer some money on Friday.  If you just wait, it could cause you even more problems.  

What if because you don't call to let them know that you will transfer money on Friday and they go into your attached bank account to pull money out to cover the balance.  Since there isn't enough in your account to cover it, you will then get a bank fee.  Bounced bank fees are expensive.  At least they are with my bank, I think they are at $25-35.  So a moment of time to call may be time well spent.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

You could call them and explain that you get paid on Friday.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I suggested the OP lower the price on the phone to make the sale and get the $$ they need to cover the pay pal shortage..  After reading the description of the phone it appears it isn't worth what the OP is asking for it anyway.

In the OP's original post the OP said they can get the pay pal shortage covered in a FEW WEEKS.   Now that the OP said they can cover it tomorrow there's no big deal.  If the OP had said that in their original post I wouldn't have suggested they lower the price to sell it QUICK to get the $$ they need.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

PayPal has become a criminal organization just like most other major corporations. I wish we were not forced to deal with criminals, but there is no other way to do eBay selling anymore. I do miss the good old days of eBay when you could accept a wider variety of payment options.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

What criminal law have they been convicted of violating?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

"What criminal law have they been convicted of violating?"

Corporate criminals are rarely convicted. Instead, they usually get bailed out by the taxpayers under the direction of the criminal corporate 'government'.

Do you remember 2008? 'Too big to fail. Too big to jail?'

Enron was not the only corporate criminal. Almost all major corporations are.

In the case of PayPal, they recently allowed the criminals at Sony Corporation to scam my son out of $500 for some online game that they failed to deliver after it was paid for. My son had proof that he paid for the online game, and proof that it was never delivered. PayPal sided with Sony - proof positive that corporate criminals work together.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply