cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback - What would you have done?

I have 20+ years of buying and selling experience, sent nearly 1,300 packages and have maintained 100% positive feedback.  

I recently sold a $23 Funko Pop (free shipping) to a buyer with no feedback. Details are as follows:

- Shipped within one day to buyer.

- Entered tracking number in auction. 
- Tracking number indicated “out for delivery” in the morning but was later marked “returned to sender - addressee unknown” later in the day. 
- Buyer had reached out to me during holiday travel to mention this. 
- Subsequently left me a negative stating “package was returned, address was correct”. 
- Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical since I had heard of buyers opening packages and sealing back up - then returning to sender. But I waited for the package to return. 
- While it was in transit, I reached out to eBay support, and the rep told me not to worry about it. Negative feedback was not warranted. 
- I sent a revision request, which apparently now goes directly to the buyer, asking feedback be removed since  the return was done by the post office. 
- Buyer responded in note, stating to resend the package once received, and feedback would be updated. 
- Package was received, and the address used was indeed correct. 
- I spoke to the manager at the post office and he needed to determine why the carrier returned the package before another delivery attempt was made.  Postulated that buyer may not live at the address. 
- The next business day, I contacted the post office, the manager was not in that day. 
- Called the next day, manager states that he has not heard back yet, but after my urging, agreed to resend that day.
- Update sent to buyer with details, he responds with “if it’s not sent today - refund”. 
- Later that day, package resent with new tracking number. 
- I decide to issue a full refund due to all of this mess. Refund completed. 
- Note sent to buyer with refund confirmation and new tracking number, as well as a friendly reminder to update feedback. 
- Buyer has not responded, package still in transit almost at destination. 
- I file an appeal with eBay to have the feedback removed and provided all details. 
- EBay decision: denied!

- I speak to a few customer service reps including a manager. Manager says he will call the feedback group (who are not available via telephone - internally or externally) right away to have this resolved. 
- As of now, negative feedback remains on my account. 

My question for you….what would you have done in this situation?  

I am leaning toward closing my eBay store in protest and selling on alternative sites. Just can’t believe eBay’s lack of concern for a longtime buyer and seller, in a situation clearly not caused by me.  Also, I absorbed all costs for the item. 

My apologies for the lengthy post. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Negative Feedback - What would you have done?

@dhbookds  As to leaving Ebay...........I understand anger over situations like this........but you need to recognize that mistakes can happen.......you can make them, the PO can make them, buyers can make them, ebay can make them.    You've been here since 2002.....your number just came up in the human lottery for problems.......and it would seem a shame for you to pull out after such a record........  But, obviously your choice. 

Could not agree more.  Best wishes for your future success.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@johnnystoybin 

A (0) FB Buyer is either experienced using a newly opened account or clueless on the real purpose and intention of the FB process.  

You stated that the Buyer said this, " ... Buyer responded in note, stating to resend the package once received, and feedback would be updated. ..."  That could possibly be interpreted as Feedback Extorsion or Abuse.  

You as the Seller did nothing wrong, the mistake was the carrier's if the Buyer's address is legit ... I want to think eBay removes FB if the issue is with the carrier ... I seem to recall posts specifically about that but do not recall the verbiage of them, sorry.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Looks like you did everything right- except the refund part.   

That has to be what stings more than the negative.   

My first neg was the result of dealing with a scammer, I just did not realize it right away.   Was actually pretty bummed, took the wind out of my sails selling here for a while.   

I suspect yours is a scam buyer too, mainly because you mention the return by the postal carrier. 

If so, I have learned even if you are the perfect seller and having fun,  if your an unlucky scam target, nothing you do or don't do will be good enough or make it right.     

It looks like you have darn near 1000 customers that WERE happy,  focus on that thought, not the red dot that you did not deserve or earn.   

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

So don't trust the address eBay has on record?

The one you're supposed to ship it to??

And despite shipping exactly as directed by eBay, you can still get nailed for a negative?

I'd say eBay needs to tweak their policy.

But they won't. 

Shame we can't leave " feedback" for eBay. 

That would get ugly fast, wouldn't it?

Message 19 of 19
latest reply