cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly 30% in Fee's. Is that correct?

When a sale has a 12.9% Fee plus 30¢. For an item that sold for $30 the total Fees amounted to $4.48 or nearly 15%. (Actually 14.9%). Add 15% to that for a Promoted Listing and now we have 30% in Fees. Is that correct?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Nearly 30% in Fee's. Is that correct?

@pf9000 wrote:

When I do a search for my own items, oftentimes they are not showing up. By paying extra to promote the listings, guess what happens?

They still don't show up.

Have a great day
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Don't pay eBay for promotions and you won't be losing 30% to eBay. All you are doing is giving away your profits and helping eBay pad their numbers so they can hide their trainwreck site from shareholders for another quarter.

JUST SAY NO TO PL!

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@pf9000 wrote:

That's an excellent answer. Thank you for that. A lot of great replies to this topic.

@pf9000   You are more than welcome ... Buy low Sell high my friend!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Ebay used to give matching contributions, or at least some percentage.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I just feel as though ebay has gone too far with their fee's. I can understand a company wanting to maximize their profits, however a fair fee charged instead of these exorbitant charges would make them look more favorably this holiday season.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@pf9000 wrote:

I just feel as though ebay has gone too far with their fee's. I can understand a company wanting to maximize their profits, however a fair fee charged instead of these exorbitant charges would make them look more favorably this holiday season.

@pf9000   The basic FVFs that eBay charges in comparison to venues I consign with or purchase from for inventory are generally lower in comparison.  They only get ridiculous when using PLS ad rates where things actually sell above normal non-PLS time periods.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

I don't promote any higher than 3%, The 15% your doing is up to you, but it's a bigger bite out of your Pie!

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

"I just feel as though ebay has gone too far with their fee's. I can understand a company wanting to maximize their profits, however a fair fee charged instead of these exorbitant charges would make them look more favorably this holiday season."

and the Original Post:  

"When a sale has a 12.9% Fee plus 30¢. For an item that sold for $30 the total Fees amounted to $4.48 or nearly 15%. (Actually 14.9%). Add 15% to that for a Promoted Listing and now we have 30% in Fees. Is that correct?"

Couple of comments: 
eBay's Final Value Fee (FVF) percentages in many (but not all) categories were raised on February 15, 2023, so just a little over eight months ago.  
The increase was 0.35%, which is less than one-half of one percent.  To me, that's a very modest increase.
Categories that previously carried a 12.9% fee now carry a 13.25% fee:  12.9% + .35% = 13.25%. 

To promote a listing or not to promote a listing is solely the decision and the choice of the seller.
When a seller chooses to promote a listing at 15%, it is disingenuous at best to appear to complain about being charged 15%.   If you don't want to pay 15%, make sure your future listings have a lower promotion percentage, or don't promote.

BTW, eBay's fees, both the FVFs and Promoted Listings fees, are deductible on your tax returns as business expenses.  

The OP's two recent sales were manuals for vintage television repair or maintenance.   The listings were in the category Vintage Televisions, an interesting choice.  

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

To promote a listing or not to promote a listing is NOT solely the decision and the choice of the seller. When I do a search for my own item and it doesn't show up, and than when I pay extra to Promote the listing, now it shows up.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

"To promote a listing or not to promote a listing is NOT solely the decision and the choice of the seller. When I do a search for my own item and it doesn't show up, and than when I pay extra to Promote the listing, now it shows up."

I have no explanation for that. 
Are you logged into eBay as "pf9000" and searching for items listed by the same ID, "pf9000"?  
Are you searching for your own items immediately after you list them?  Having read these forums (fora?) for many years,
I understand that sometimes there is a delay or a lag before some listings are actually shown.  

I can tell you my own experience.  I post and buy with this ID, but I list with a different ID.
When I am logged in with my selling ID, I see my own listings almost immediately after they go active.  
I don't usually try to look at my own listings while I am logged in with this ID, "monroe67." 
BUT I have seen my listings among search results when I search with general words that I know I put in my titles, such as "Simplicity Dress Pattern." 

OH.  One additional detail:  I never "promote" my listings.  
And that  is solely the decision and choice of my selling ID.  

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

I've never noticed this problem.  Then again, I don't go searching immediately for something after I list.  Usually watchers appear rather quickly, though, so I guess someone can see them.  I do not use promotions.  I'm kind of glad others do, though, because that probably keeps ebay from raising rates on everyone.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply