cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW pkg pickup scanning rules from the USPS

In the last 2 days, I remember seeing a post on here about NEW rules for scanning pkgs at pickup.  IIRC, that poster was from the STL area.  They said their carrier had told them about a meeting (which I took to be a regional thing), that now limits the number of pkgs they can scan to 5.   You must print a SCAN sheet for >5 & you can't add the next morning's pkgs b/c they won't be on the scan sheet.   

Well, I am in CO, nowhere near STL & I text with my carrier & this AM he texted me the exact same thing, so apparently this is a new rule that they are implementing, not just in St. Louis 😞  

The only thing my carrier said different than the other post is that he may be able to pick up the new pkgs for the next day, as a separate transaction.   My carrier is great & doesn't mind pkg pick up, so this is coming down from above 😐

I use Ebay shipping.  Does anyone know if you can still print a scan sheet & how?   Do I have to do MOS?  (which I hate).   

Just a heads up for everyone.  I wonder why we haven't heard anything about this from Nate Heyward's team?   

jasmen@ebay 

tyler@ebay 

ATTN Mods:  Please don't move to the SHipping board, as this affects MANY sellers & is not a shipping problem per se.   

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

I'm not creating any jam, I'm about middle of the route, she has access and pulls into my drive way so she can pull totes and sort the 2nd half of the route, alot safer then doing that in the middle of a rural road. Plus I've helped several carriers, had them park their vehicle in my drive for night when it broke down. The ones that jammed up were the River, UPS and Fedex packages, up until last Sept. 60% of her packages was from the River.

As far as a rule I've not seen it and if I have a bunch of huge packages, I will run them up for her but after April 3rd that won't be necessary anymore.

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

She didn't say it was software, she was instructed by the post master of the new rule. If the PO wants to get stupid, she has 6-8 people on her route that sells online, pass a note to the other sellers on her route and other routes, WE all go up to the PO and make the teller scan ALL our packages lol. Its a smaller PO, sometimes have to ring the bell to get anyone up front, bet that'd stop in a heart beat lol

Gotcha.  Sorry.  My carrier texted me that it is new software on his scanner, already installed, so I was thinking yours had said the same.  I forgot your said it came from a meeting. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

@regpata69 wrote:

This isn't a new rule, shippers should always provide a SCAN sheet to their carrier anytime they have more than ONE parcel.  It saves them time, put yourself in their shoes, please stop creating traffic jams by "forcing" your carrier to scan dozens of individual codes.  We all want an efficient service because inefficiency results in delays and mail snarls, so please be of assistance in these regards.

This clearly IS a new rule or else 2 of us in 2 different states, would not have been told about the new rule, on the same day.  

While anyone was free to use a SCAN form before, it was not required.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 18 of 39
latest reply

@regpata69 wrote:

This isn't a new rule, shippers should always provide a SCAN sheet to their carrier anytime they have more than ONE parcel.  It saves them time, put yourself in their shoes, please stop creating traffic jams by "forcing" your carrier to scan dozens of individual codes.  We all want an efficient service because inefficiency results in delays and mail snarls, so please be of assistance in these regards.

You don't think those get scanned one at a time elsewhere?

all this is, is shuffling cards.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

This could be a disaster for us. Especially during the holidays. Especially Monday morning after a weekend of good sales.

It could also mean we lose our Top Rated status as we'd probably have to change our handling time to more than one day.

It makes little sense. Do they really want us clogging up the lines or crowding the shelves at the Post Office?

Hopefully, the scan sheet will work for any amount of packages. I wonder if 'arrange a pick-up' will be an option?

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

@iart wrote: .... It could also mean we lose our Top Rated status as we'd probably have to change our handling time to more than one day. .... Hopefully, the scan sheet will work for any amount of packages. I wonder if 'arrange a pick-up' will be an option?

Top Rated Seller status does not require 1-day handling. But TR-Plus does.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/seller-levels-performance-stan...

You can request carrier pickup through eBay labels; it's a link on the next page after you print the label. Or you can do it at usps.com.

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

I put in a pick up every night, have an account on the USPS site, which I always thought silly since I have packages everyday, there might have been 5 days in the last 14 yrs I didn't sell anything. But then remember the subs and I don't have a store front, so they wouldn't know. The last 2 yrs, we've gone thru a bunch of subs and 4 post masters, I hold the mail couriers with HIGH respect, for working 10-12 hrs shifts and only getting paid for 8, not so much the USPS or Dejoy who's trying to destroy the system.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

In the past, they wouldn't schedule for media mail. Which is most of what we send. Not sure if that is still the case.

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

You can request carrier pickup through eBay labels; it's a link on the next page after you print the label. Or you can do it at usps.com.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@regpata69 wrote:

Of course they get scanned later, by a MACHINE, not by an actual USPS employee with a scanner.

As @regpata69 stated, this is NOT a new thing, it goes back at least 15 years (if you dig deep in the board archives you can find lots of threads from around 2005).

The answer has always been the same, get friendly with your carrier (if using carrier pick-up) or your Post Office clerk (if dropping off) or use the prescribed system of a SCAN Form.

These rules apply to online postage and are part of the reason that online postage has a discount over retail counter rates.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

@regpata69 wrote:

Of course they get scanned later, by a MACHINE, not by an actual USPS employee with a scanner.

As @regpata69 stated, this is NOT a new thing, it goes back at least 15 years (if you dig deep in the board archives you can find lots of threads from around 2005).

The answer has always been the same, get friendly with your carrier (if using carrier pick-up) or your Post Office clerk (if dropping off) or use the prescribed system of a SCAN Form.

These rules apply to online postage and are part of the reason that online postage has a discount over retail counter rates.

I don't have to, I remember all the drama back then.  Been selling since 97.   

It IS a new rule, as evidenced by the text that my friendly carrier sent me the other day telling me it's a new rule AND is part of his new scanner software!  I haven't been able to speak to him yet, but it sounds like he can't override it, based on my texts with him.   We are very friendly & he's super helpful (esp since I give him a very nice bonus each year).  

The other poster who was also informed of this brand new rule on the same day I was, in another state nowhere near me, also made a point to mention that she is super friendly with her carrier, which is why her carrier gave her a heads up on the new rule, just like mine did.   

I will post an update when I've had a chance to talk to my carrier in person & see if he can override.   

ETA:  I just checked his text & it says "new procedure", not new rule.  But if it's not a new rule or procedure or whatever, why were 2 of us in 2 different states, told about the 'new rule' on the same day, by our respective carriers?    Sure hope Nate Heyward's team can shed light on this. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

Maybe it is a new procedure for carriers that were scanning at each stop.  My carrier told me they are tracked for how much time it takes them at each stop, so scanning lots of packages would be time consuming.   I was told years ago by my carrier they aren't supposed to scan at pick-up.   Once in awhile she does, but usually my scans occur later when the packages arrive at the first distribution spot.   A few times I've had this first scan not happen, but if my package arrives on time, it isn't an issue.   I worry sometimes, but have no hits to my metrics. 

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

I used to really get excited, mad, frustrated about stuff like this. But, I decided not to focus on it. I have for basically the last year made absolutely zero effort now to make sure something gets an initial scan. My stuff just gets dumped in the bin at the post office, in the local box, or just dumped with the outgoing at my wife's work, and it all still ends up getting there and I am still top rated.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

@iart wrote:

In the past, they wouldn't schedule for media mail. Which is most of what we send. Not sure if that is still the case.

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Alas, you do have to be sending at least one piece via First Class or Priority in order to request Carrier Pickup. But then you can add on as many MM packages as you want. It might be worthwhile to upgrade one piece.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

I used to really get excited, mad, frustrated about stuff like this. But, I decided not to focus on it. I have for basically the last year made absolutely zero effort now to make sure something gets an initial scan. My stuff just gets dumped in the bin at the post office, in the local box, or just dumped with the outgoing at my wife's work, and it all still ends up getting there and I am still top rated.

Congratulations on your good luck!  

No way would I EVER go without an Acceptance Scan.   If a pkg doesn't get any scans (rare I know, but it happens) you can't prove you sent it.   Also, many people (myself included) have a sort center in another city, so IF they are scanned at the sort center, it will already be a day later, possibly causing hits on my metrics.   I've also had lots of problems on holidays/long weekends, when my PO doesn't bother to scan at all.   It's cool that you're so easy going.  No way will I be taking that risk.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

After I read this thread, I texted my mail carrier (he is also a friend and neighbor).  He asked where I heard this information.  I told him I read it here and that it came from a PO.  He said he would find out and get back with me.  He said today that this is NOT the policy.  He found it to be ridiculous and couldn't believe someone would tell you that.  

EDIT:  I am in a rural location, not in a larger city.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 30 of 39
latest reply