cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer lying about what they received. Does E-bay ever side with the seller?

I recently had someone buy several comic books-total about $80-I shipped them out, saw they were delivered yesterday. Early this morning the buyer sends me an e-mail saying he ordered comics but this is what he received and included a picture of my packaging with a hardcover book on top of it. He's claiming that's what he received. I don't sell books, I don't own a copy of the book he showed, there is no way that is what was sent. Two options, one, someone at a PO opened packages, takes out items and replace them with other items, and that is as ludicrous as it sounds, or this person is flat out lying, took out the comics dropped a book on top of my packaging and says this is what I have. 

I e-mailed them that is not what was sent, and left it at that. I'd love to tell them they're lying, but we know that having the audacity to tell the truth about a buyer doesn't fly here. I know where this will go, he'll file a claim, I will respond and....they will side with them, because sellers just out of the blue decide to do things like this. 

Does e-bay ever side with sellers? I'm not being sarcastic, its a real question, is there a way out of this or are the sellers never right on this site?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, the Money Back Guarantee protections for buyers is paramount, and really - how can EBay judge a he said/she said anyway?

You can report the buyer for abuse once you get the fake item back. No one really knows how that works in relation to a bad buyer or adds up over time.

Other than that, just be glad it wasn’t tons of money.

And, honestly, hope the buyer shines it - in the end, they might feel like packing something fake into a box and hiking to the post office for shipping isn’t worth the effort for an $80 windfall.

Could be they’re really hoping for a refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

No, the Money Back Guarantee protections for buyers is paramount, and really - how can EBay judge a he said/she said anyway?

You can report the buyer for abuse once you get the fake item back. No one really knows how that works in relation to a bad buyer or adds up over time.

Other than that, just be glad it wasn’t tons of money.

And, honestly, hope the buyer shines it - in the end, they might feel like packing something fake into a box and hiking to the post office for shipping isn’t worth the effort for an $80 windfall.

Could be they’re really hoping for a refund.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

How does ebay know who's lying, the seller or the buyer?

They don't.  It's a he said/she said situation.

In which case they will always side with the buyer.

Ebay offer buyers a money back guarantee to buyers.

Sorry but this happens once in a while.

You have to be able to "eat it" and move on. 

Take comfort in knowing that I don't think ebay will let a buyer can get away with doing that too many times. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I don't see a sale for $80 so I assume this buyer purchased a bunch of individual items at one time? 

You can 'limit' how much a person buys in your preferences so in the future this cannot happen for as much $

Also, if buyer opens a case, you can 'approve', then when it arrives you can take up to 50% off the refund (if you are TRS), you can attach 1 photo of what you received, then 'report' the buyer.

When you responded to the buyer, I assume they haven't opened a case. If they either respond, or open a return case, best thing to do is:

Simply apologize for the inconvenience and let them know that since that is not what you sent, someone past your shipment (from Shipping Company or?) must have switched the item. Let them know you will be filing a report with USPS and that they (the buyer) may be asked for a statement by a Postal Inspector about this package sometime in the future. That usually stops them from following through with the 'return'. Many watch too much Youtube and figure that many sellers won't bother doing anything. 

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Take comfort in knowing that I don't think ebay will let a buyer can get away with doing that too many times.

@lovecraft68 

For what it's worth, what @inhawaii describes might be what you're experiencing. If your buyer has only messaged, maybe they've lost the ability to file an MBG claim. Hopefully, their message is all you'll receive.

If they open a claim, you can deal with that then. Good luck to you.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Agree with what has been said.........however, once he sent the pictures, I would have certainly agreed that he didn't get what I sent and tell him, assuming their was no mixup with another box, I would report it to USPS as a rifling occurrence during the delivery and since they take such a charge very seriously, he probably would get a visit from a postal inspector so please retain the box, book, and packing material.  I would apologize profusely....  and see what happens......

And if he stuck to his guns, I WOULD report to USPS..............

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Did you ship those comics by Media Mail? I looked at some of your listings and it looked like you had MM on all of them (comics don't qualify for MM unless they are graphic novels).

Perhaps the USPS opened your package of comics for inspection at the same time they had opened up someone else's package that contained the book. Then when they packed them back up they got the contents mixed up and really did mail your buyer a book and the book buyer got your comics.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Does E-bay ever side with the seller?

@lovecraft68 

Generally, no, eBay does not.  Keep in mind that the buyer has not filed a case with eBay yet.  There is a possibility that they can't.  Either way "tree shaking" (to see what falls out) is a tactic sometimes used.  

Some sellers (even though it doesn't count for anything anymore) live is such fear of the red donut review they will cave and refund at the first sign of any  buyer displeasure even though it is an obvious lie. 

Unfortunately, we can't see anymore if the buyer purchased that "book" from someone else either that would indicate they are simply "confusing you with another seller".  It is advised NOT to get involved with any back and forth communication with this person.

Dear Buyer, 

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with your purchase.  Please return it for a full refund.

Sincerely, 
You

OR

Dear buyer, 

I am sorry you are not happy with your purchase.  If you have not confused this with another order, I will be glad to file a Postal Inspectors report on your behalf for the rifled mail.   I can forward the case number to you so that you can be kept informed of the progress.  I have all the details necessary and can proceed right away. 

Sincerely, 

You

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Hi

Yes, multiple items. What is a TRS? Good suggestion on telling them about opening a claim. Thank you

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Thank you for the advice, and the term "rifling" I'll use that with tampering. Someone else suggested the calling of the bluff. Much appreciated. 

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

I was sympathetic, until I saw you were shipping comics Media Mail, not allowed. Doubt you will take it up with the PO now.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@lovecraft68 wrote:

Hi

Yes, multiple items. What is a TRS? Good suggestion on telling them about opening a claim. Thank you

@lovecraft68 

TRS = Top Rated Seller. Note that the refund 'deduction' (that @stainlessenginecovers mentions) isn't available to you as you offer 'No Returns'. You must either be a TRS who offers 30-Day Returns (or better) or a seller who offers Free Returns to have that ability.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

I agree, who is to say who is lying?

However, sellers have a lot more to lose than buyers here, and this is not the typical "not happy with the item" case where they can say the item was not as described, damaged during shipping, etc... this is a case of someone supposed to be getting several comics and showing  a hardcover book. Obviously we can make mistakes, I have put the wrong label on a package and someone has gotten the wrong comic and I refund them and usually tell them keep the wrong item. 

But the main reason I posted is E-bay seems to have determined that the buyer is never lying. There's a lot of reasons many sellers have walked off over the years, this is one of them. 

But thank you for the reply, and yes I imagine they can only pull this stunt so many times. I can also reply to feedback if he gives me any and tell the story. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

But the main reason I posted is E-bay seems to have determined that the buyer is never lying. 

@lovecraft68 

You are not required to give instructions to your buyer on how to file a return.  

eBay no longer cares who is lying.  The whole scenario if dictated by the "not as described" reason selected by the buyer when they make the claim and nothing more.  

Your buyer has not filed.  So you really don't have to do anything until they do. 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Hi

Yes, its a waiting game for the moment. They're on the west coast so I may not here back for a while longer to my reply that the book he pictured is not what I sent, and that is where I left it so I can leave it open to suggest someone at the PO is doing something funny and say I'm going to make a claim which other people suggested as a way to make him think twice about going further. 

Thank you for your response

Message 15 of 30
latest reply