cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW eBay Guaranteed Delivery Thread

Its important. Its bound to drag exposure for regular listings down even further. Now that the TRS discount is slashed in half, its not worth having 1 day handling for many sellers (like myself) anymore. Not everyones orders go in bubble wrappers and small boxs. Its just not worth it if your packing heavy or big, time consuming orders anymore. Dropping TRS and not opting into this new program thats horrible for average to medium sized sellers, will push listings further and further down the page for otherwise great sellers.

As the article im posting a link to at the bottom mentions, ebay does intend for us to pay for the shipping refund a buyer gets if their package is past the guaranteed date. Money will come from our pockets. So if your not big enough to absorb the losses, or sell items with many many multiples where its finacially worth it to do everything to stay on the top of the list. For the average seller of single item listings though, your getting the shaft. 

Ebays new changes make it so you have to jump through hoops to get the TRS exposure (because the discount is almost useless now). Take 30 day returns and ship next day for peanuts, but if you dont, exposure goes down. Now with this and the new promoted listings, you will have to pay ebay way more in for the listing, AND have to refund shipping (or take it back if they want) if it doesnt make it in 3 days. 

So, if we dont want to get buried by big business compitition, and continue to get the same exposure we get today, we would need to continue to jump through hoops for the now useless TRS Plus listing discounts, pay extra for promoted listings, and offer 3 day guaranteed delivery or the shippings free. Just to end up at the same exposure. As it sits now only bigger companies can afford to absorb all these expenses. Its just wrong.

Is this the new direction the new young CEO wants to go? Hes dong a major diservice to many of his best sellers. He seems to forget that unlike Amazon (Amazon Prime - which is what he is attempting to compete with), ebay doesnt have a warehouse full of employees to expidite shipping. Plus they dont own the merchandise, nor have 3rd party items in their possession. Its not their guarantee to make, and to then make US refund shipping if its a day past their made up date!? Ridiculous. 

Am I alone on this one?

Under the new eBay program, if a product doesn't arrive in the guaranteed time, both eBay and the seller will chip in to refund shipping costs. If an item was shipped for free, eBay and the seller will provide an eBay coupon, expected to be $5, Lawton said. Two-thirds of the products on eBay include free shipping, according to the company.

Message 1 of 156
latest reply
155 REPLIES 155

I don't get involved in too many threads, but after reading this one, I think I have to.  I don't think many of the folks on here understand the program, nor how it is likely to play out.  I think this is an excellent idea by eBay, and will simply come down to execution as to whether it's a raving success or total flop.  I'm in a rare position where I'm a relatively new seller with almost 10K items in my day job (where I get paid for doing this stuff), and a 14-year small veteran selling stuff in a home business that I hope to retire to.  So, let me say how I see it.

First, this is not ebay's way to get rid of small sellers.  The small seller generally sells glassware, collectibles, clothes, and so on....stuff where the buyer might like to have it Thursday, but unless it's a birthday present and they waited too long, it doesn't really matter.  There, the buyer will care more about getting the one they want at the price they want than getting it shipped out today.  Minimal impact on most small sellers.

However, the buyer who cares about guaranteed delivery is someone who DOES need it urgently.  If their airplane's tire falls off and they need new lug nuts before they fly to Moab tomorrow, they want it shipped next day air today, not when somebody gets around to it.  If your freezer goes out and your side of beef will start stinking in 2 days, guaranteed delivery matters. 

As for the risk....the handling time option is great for people who serve customers in category 2 above.  This is where we fall, but I can only guarantee shipping times on some products.  Others are products that we rebuild before we ship them, and that can take a few days to happen.  Can't rush a shipment when you're waiting for paint to dry, for example.  But for the products I can ship immediately, why not serve my customers with urgent needs?  With my home business, this isn't my plan.  Doesn't matter for my figurines and paintings, and also, if my wife and I decide to go away for a long weekend, I don't want to miss a guaranteed ship date.

Is eBay stupid for not charging for this service?  Absolutely not!  Amazon isn't charging for Prime so that it can ship ground the next day, they're charging for an upgrade to 2-day delivery (which they probably negotiated with the carrier at no extra charge).  What about eBay's losses on claims?  The carriers, in general, are very reliable, and claims will be low.  Don't forget that eBay takes a FVF on shipping and does nothing.  That builds up big reserves of cash, and paying a little bit of it back in claims for what IS a big advantage to the buyer over Amazon's program is a smart thing.  And...it wouldn't surprise me if they swung a deal with the carriers so they aren't hurt badly.  The carriers already have to reimburse sellers (if you ask them to) for late shipments and it's not for one of the stated reasons (except USPS...who may well have agreed in order for eBay to promote them in the program instead of shooing people to UPS/FedEx).  Ebay can easily automate that, leaving them responsible for the weather related problems.....a very low risk in exchange for offering something nobody else has.

Lastly....why door to door guarantee?  For most sellers, it would be stupid.  However, for the big guys who have warehouses scattered around the country, it gives them control over everything.  eBay asks where something will ship from in determining guaranteed dates.  The seller may not even know (it depends on where their stock is at the time for what's ordered), but if they have 100 warehouses around the country, they can guarantee delivery from one of them to all addresses within 2 days.  If they say it ships from Atlanta and the customer is in Seattle, eBay will quote 6 days and they may lose the sale.  Instead, with D2D, they say 2 days and ship from Portland, and they not only win the sale, but have low shipping costs.  eBay does not currently handle multiple shipping locations, so the seller must handle this on their own.

This is not a terrible program, nor does it spell doom and gloom.  Sellers need to be smart in how they implement it, and stop whining about how unfair eBay is.  They are offering a platform where we are largely in control, and our competition is not eBay.....it's Google, and all the other sites that people sell on that we're not on (I sell on many other sites, but there's way more that I don't sell on).  If they get the sale, we lose.  If they buy on eBay, we all have a fighting chance, and it's up to who does the best job here.  Use the tools to maximize sales.  Selling is a competitive business, and nobody is going to hand us anything.  Seize the day. 

Message 121 of 156
latest reply

I alraedy ship in one day. Now ebay wants me to guarantee that the post office will deliver on time?. How can I guarantee delivery when all I do is give it to usps to ship. This program is ridiculous, I hope ebay ends this program asap!

Message 122 of 156
latest reply

If you choose the handling time option, you have nothing to lose.  You change nothing, and yet show up when a buyer does ask for guaranteed delivery dates.  Since you ship in 1 day anyway, you have no risk, and only upside.  Why would you want it to go away when it "might" provide you benefits?  Most of the sellers on the forum here feel like you do, so they won't appear on those searches.  In my mind, you just threw away a free benefit.

I wish I had someone to ship our products in my home business when we're gone, as I'd jump on this in a heartbeat, but I can't, because we don't have the ability to ship every day.  

Message 123 of 156
latest reply

I was going to opt in but i noticed you have to "Enable the PayPal immediate payment option on your guaranteed listings"

I'm wondering if that would still let people pay with credit card because if not thats a no go. Any one know more about what options people can pay with when "immediate payment required" is selected?

Message 124 of 156
latest reply

I believe that just means that they have to pay right then, and that will include credit card payments through Paypal (but not outside of Paypal).  This makes sense to me.  No way the clock should start ticking until the buyer has paid, and if they send a money order....voila....free shipping due to a missed deadline.

Message 125 of 156
latest reply

I don't think any carrier guaranteed their delivery.

Message 126 of 156
latest reply

Hello, I have opted into guaranteed delivery and changed all my listings accordingly to qualify. I am still not seeing any of my listings under guaranteed delivery. Have you experienced this problem with other sellers yet?

Message 127 of 156
latest reply

i want nothing to do with this.  i already mail 98% of time on next day, 99.5% by 2nd day.  but once the pkg is handed over to the postmaster, i have no control of delivery time.  ebay shouild be penalizing usps, not the unfortunate seller.

lookwhatbobfound
Message 128 of 156
latest reply

Today's email from eBay:

"You Opted in. Now Improve Your Delivery Performance."

According to the @$%^&* email:

Guaranteed Delivery Requirement & How You Did

• Meet same-day or one-day handling for
    at least 97% of guaranteed transactions ME: 100%
  • Use eBay shipping labels for at
    least 95% of guaranteed transactions ME: 94% - WRONG!

I can tell you this - 100000% of all my eBay shipments were printed using YOUR shipping system.

The fine print says these are based on 9/24-10/7.  Good to know - I was closed and didn't ship ANYTHING 10/2-10/6, but again 100% of the orders that were shipped in that time period I was open used eBay shipping - it's all I use for eBay orders. It's a good system. Your software that determines my use of it obviously isn't, it's garbage. Fix that and don't tick me off with your emails.

When I go to their new "Performance" page (as instructed in the rude email), I am 100% in all three categories which is EXACTLY what I am and deserve. 99.99% of all orders ship same or next day, and lately any order from 12AM-4PM is packed and shipped THAT DAY. Orders after 5PM (when the PO is closed) ship next day.

So imagine getting the email that says I"M NOT PERFORMING TO THEIR STANDARDS.....Kiss my @#$%

Your Guaranteed Delivery program is a failure.

I have a few questions eBay:

Why try to be Amazon?

Amazon sucks - Worst system ever. Good luck getting help from an English speaking American - They don't exist at Amazon anymore - But they DO at eBay - Thank you for that. Stop trying to be Amazon, it's a step down.

Why aren't my listings showing? 

I pay you every month for them....Even when I search ever character of MY title, nothing shows....But you have the gall to tell me it's "Underperforming" Lower my price to beat competitors? Sure, except your system can't tell what their price actually is. I looked, your suggestion ignores that they charge shipping! You just want me to lower my price, then tell them I lowered it, they lower, then nobody except eBay makes money.

I actually like the new OVERVIEW page, took a little to get used to, but it works. 

End of my rant.

Now, please stop with the Guaranteed Delivery garbage - Next time you have an idea, don't.

Message 129 of 156
latest reply

eBay Guaranteed Delivery      ----WARNING!!!----

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, Im to busy trying to keep up with all the changes and shipping ever minute to read the entire thread. 

Ok So I tried the Guranteed Delivery thing for the last 3 weeks and my sales VANISHED. My sales fell more then 75%. As soon as I opted out of the program my sales came back.  I think the problem was the Required Imediate Payment section. Most of my buyers pay right away but if Im like the rest of them I dont like being told I have to pay right now. It puts people off. Anyway I dont want this to be a long reply just a heads up for my fellow sellers. Good luck friends. Its going to get worse if they eBay keeps this up. 

Message 130 of 156
latest reply

I refuse to participate in the guaranteed delivery.  I sell on eBay as a second income and I'm not shackling my evenings to 1 day shipping, just not going to happen.

The other option is to depend on the USPS to delivery on time!  That's a joke.  I found a delivery that was 2 weeks old and hadn't been delivered. Checked the tracking and it had a message "attempted delivery, business closed."  Strange since it was sent to a residential address.  Sent a message to the buyer, and they stated they had not received a notice.  They went to the PO and got their package.  It was sitting at the PO because supposedly the carrier "couldn't fit it in their car".  (Package was 12x12x12 box, what kind of car was this carrier driving?????)    Buyer is happy as can be to get their item, but if I was enrolled in GD I'd be out the shipping!

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 131 of 156
latest reply

modelrrsupply-com wrote...
"Use eBay shipping labels for at
least 95% of guaranteed transactions ME: 94% - WRONG!"

Got the same inane message, but mine said something like 86%...and I use 100% as well.
About a week later got another message about checking my GD "performance"...clicked a link and got the infamous "Sorry, something went wrong" message.
I opted out the same day.
Message 132 of 156
latest reply

I think that this is a wonderful idea. I think it's such a good idea that eBay should accept responsibility for the ENTIRE cost of the idea. Look at the financials. Less than 1% of packages get delivered late. They charge me 13% on each sale. It looks to me like losing 1% out of the 13 percent is an easily accomplished goal. After all this program will increase sales. So it's self funding.

To put the responsibilty on the seller is blankinine. The seller has an investment in the item, and in the cost of shipping plus the handling. I'd go so far as saying that the sellers cost of handling is larger than eBay's entire cost.

In the last two years i've gotten two calls from eBay promoting new ideas they wanted me to try. I told them both that they still haven't gotten the bigger pictures and the eBay picture hosting idea to work. Because they don't have the servers to support all the bandwidth required. So sellers are dealing with listings not getting displayed and losing sales for periods of time. I feel if they can't get that old of an idea to work, they shouldn't be getting into new schemes.

There are other ways for eBay to increase revenue. They at one time were giving Chinese sellers free listings both for the mothhly fee and for the sale. Absolutely free listings. I don't know if they're still doing this. But if the new sales won't pay for the <1% loss this certainly will.

Message 133 of 156
latest reply

Identify the missing link...
ebay owns NO inventory...ebay sells NO inventory...ebay delivers NO inventory.
But somehow, they're in the GUARANTEE business.
Message 134 of 156
latest reply

You guys have me totally confused.  Everybody's so angry.  What is it about "optional" that is being misunderstood so widely?  If you don't want to guarantee that the order will ship by tomorrow, don't sign up.  Those that do have an advantage for buyers who click the little button and say that they want this.  

You're right.  eBay owns no inventory and ships no inventory.  They bring customers to the table, and that's why I pay them.  I don't like everything about them, and I don't like everything about this program, but it's ridiculous to act like you could sell as much without them as with them.  If you can, stop paying them and do it.

I see no downside in this program if I do my part, but I don't care what other people do.  Since I'm on the handling time option, I am at risk only if I fail.  They take the risk for carrier problems (or more likely....have an agreement with the carrier to take most of the risk).  I'm just amazed at the animosity thrown at them about this program that is completely optional.  I get upset if they force something that I don't like down my throat, but that's certainly not the case here.

Oh well....

Message 135 of 156
latest reply