cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Ebay answer on the GTC questions

https://community.ebay.com/t5/2019-Early-Seller-Update/Update-on-Good-Til-Cancelled/m-p/29556571#M18...

MODS..........please leave this one on the selling board for a day or two, or at least the link to the page on the Special Board........

Hey eBay sellers, this is Harry, VP of Seller Experience at eBay. As you read in the 2019 Early Seller Update, we are moving all Fixed Price listings to Good ‘Til Cancelled (GTC). As a reminder, this change does not apply to auctions. We’re making this change because we have seen that GTC listings offer more sales opportunities than any other fixed price duration. Over time, GTC listings keep and grow watchers, sales history, and SEO authority as they maintain the same item ID and URL for the life of the listing. We believe all of the above improves the ability for buyers to discover items on eBay, which thereby improves the likelihood of a sale.

We’re aware of concerns some of you may have around managing GTC listings. Today in the Seller Hub Active listings page, you can see the start date of each of your listings. You can also sort by the start date to see, for example, your oldest listing at the top. With the start date, you can determine how long a listing has been active – but, currently, this requires you to do some math. By the end of March, we’ll do the math for you and will show you the number of days each listing has been active. Today, sellers can also sort active listings by end date or time left. For GTC listings, end date indicates the next date of renewal, and time left indicates the time left until renewal. Just as you do today, you can start, end, or relist your items at any time you choose.

All sellers may also take advantage of the out-of-stock feature, which allows you to effectively pause the availability of the item to buyers by setting the listing quantity to zero. This comes in handy if you want to keep all the benefits mentioned above (same item ID and URL, watchers, sales history and SEO benefits) while either your item is out-of-stock or you need a vacation. When you are ready to sell the item again, simply update the quantity back to a positive number. You can also use our bulk editing tools to update multiple listings at once.

We’re also aware of concerns about the 30 day auto-renewal period not syncing with monthly billing cycles. We’re looking into this. Thank you for your patience.

We always want to create the best experience we possibly can for our sellers. That’s why your feedback is so important to us. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you to improve your sales velocity and build a better marketplace.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: NEW Ebay answer on the GTC questions

I have a store on Etsy, though Etsy is only for vintage or handmade items. It costs 20 cents every THREE months to list an item, without all the hassles and places everywhere that if you accidentally touch it you’ll rack up unwanted fees. They give you options to renew yourself or automatically, they notify you when an item is going to expire...in other words, they treat their sellers like they’re people.
Message 16 of 52
latest reply

Yes, I also moved a lot of stuff to Etsy for that same reason...It will be a burden to go in and try to cancel these listings before they expire....I have around 1,000 unsold listings at any given time on top of the 1,000 live listings...so I'd be stuck paying another $100 a month for those unsold listings....I thought we were told a few years back that the longer something sat in your store, it just kept getting buried in the best match and that you should wait before relisting? I guess that's no longer the case?
Message 17 of 52
latest reply

One of the reasons Ebay wants to go to GTC is because they want to keep the links "good"  in other search engines...  Listings that have expired aggravate buyers and probably discourage them from staying or coming back to ebay.  I know some sellers "don't care" about Google search or others, but ebay's primary responsibility is attracting buyers to EBAY and, secondarily, trying to ensure they stay and come back. 

It does look like they are listening to and going to try to make the process easier for GTCs to be managed, but I doubt they are going back down from the change itself...  just my guess.......

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

Do we know the answer to your questions about-

I used GTC years ago and at that time you could not close them all at once, you had to close each one manually. Is that how it still is or can I go an hour before they end and close everything at once?

This is a HUGE question.
Message 19 of 52
latest reply

The search engine issue is curious because over the years there has been a lot of focus on Google and this is the first time I've ever read where folks claimed that non-GTC listings were a big problem. You'd have thought if it is such a priority it would have at least made the conversation prior this change? 

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

I do the GTC often. They just sit there with very few views unless I run sales. I may sell a couple that way. I think this really has to do with promoted listings. They need the room up top. Thats my guess. Your right Ebays primary responsibility is attracting buyers, but they are sucking the small sellers dry with more fees. Its definitely not a win-win . Me thinks a store is no longer worth it?
Message 21 of 52
latest reply

When my stuff dont sell on GTC, i consign it. Yes I can knock them off all at once.
Message 22 of 52
latest reply

I would like to add to my voice to those that hate this change in policy, think it is abusive to the seller, and am mad as heck about the whole thing.

I have been with eBay almost since it began. I was just searching for an internet classifieds place to put an ad, and stumbled on it. The fees and hype just keep getting worse and worse. I guess this new feature will be fine with the Chinese mega-sellers. This may no longer be a place for the little people selling their stuff to each other.
Message 23 of 52
latest reply

We always want to create the best experience we possibly can for our sellers.

What are we waiting for then?

Unless this is what you think the best is...and if this is the best...that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

The search engine issue is curious because over the years there has been a lot of focus on Google and this is the first time I've ever read where folks claimed that non-GTC listings were a big problem. You'd have thought if it is such a priority it would have at least made the conversation prior this change? 

Selling on the internet is a "work in process".....and ideas/things change.  At Live last year, Google was explaining that they now want pictures on a white/gray background.......certainly something never mentioned before that I remember.......  at least before Ebay started recommending it in the last several years...... 

I think ebay is NOW concentrating on trying to use the Search Engines rather than (or in addition to) trying to attract buyers independently.......which may/may not work..... 

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

I interpret this as meaning they may next force us to renew at the beginning of the month instead of 30 days after we place the ad. Which would be abuse upon abuse.

@ozarkjoe wrote:

We’re also aware of concerns about the 30 day auto-renewal period not syncing with monthly billing cycles. We’re looking into this.

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

I think one big part is the dead links - people feel more comfortable and like like they are actually 'getting somewhere' with Google search, rather than ebay, and especially with the 'intuitiveness' (if it is) of the ebay search.  ebay isn't going to easily get rid of the poor search rep they have garnered with Cassini. 

I think ebay may have realized that people weren't going to flock to the ebay search when they get a dead-end on Google.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 27 of 52
latest reply

But, are the dead links caused mostly by shorter duration listings? I've never heard that that's the cause prior to a week ago? Fwiw, in my experience the vast majority of dead links are the result of a sold item.

Plus, isn't there an issue of image corruption related to GTC listings?  Something about files being corrupted due to repeated GTC rollovers, iirc.  That's been shown to be a real problem recently and we told there's nothing the GTC seller can do about it other than save our images. 

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

But, are the dead links caused mostly by shorter duration listings? I've never heard that that's the cause prior to a week ago? Fwiw, in my experience the vast majority of dead links are the result of a sold item.

Plus, isn't there an issue of image corruption related to GTC listings?  Something about files being corrupted due to repeated GTC rollovers, iirc.  That's been shown to be a real problem recently and we told there's nothing the GTC seller can do about it other than save our images. 

I think that the reason for the dead links and the image corruption is due to poorly thought out planning, cut-corner programming, lack of supervision and oversight and a lot of wishful thinking.  Like most glitches on ebay.

When one starts with a reasonable program and keep just adding things - on the fly - revising, correcting, deleting and ignoring, untoward things are going to happen.  Usually, not for the better, either.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 29 of 52
latest reply

It is really speculation, without actually seeing or knowing what is going into the programming or the planning.  One can theorize all day.  As far as the supervision and oversight, most of what is done on ebay is by 3rd party 'developers', 'partners' and 'vendors'.  Not a whole lot is done 'by ebay'.  Ever notice how a blue has to continually touch bases with 'the team'?  They may get an answer sooner, or just 'soon', if they get one.

Message 30 of 52
latest reply