cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merry Christmas to all. Now this is why I stopped by.

Hi. I haven't been around here for quite some time because I hated the format, but NOW...it is really nice.

I am a seller for umteen years over. I've seen the ups and downs. When I stated priority mail was 3.50 a pound. Now it is almost double. As the shipping rate goes up my sales go down. So this is where I put my blame. Oh and lets not forget the huge fees coming at you from every direction. EBAY ITS TIME TO CUT OUR FEES AT LEAST ON SHIPPING COSTS. AND DON'T SNEAK IT IN ELSEWHERE. 

Having said all that, the real reason I came here today is because I really really miss being able to read various feedback from time to time and get to see what people actually buy. It was entertaining and would result in me seeing and buying things I had no idea even existed. I don't buy much of anything at all anymore. Ebay has stolen fun for me here in countless ways. Now I am wondering if others have had the same experience with this simple pleasure getting stolen as well. Thanks for reading things stored up for years.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Merry Christmas to all. Now this is why I stopped by.

Hi, Merry Christmas to you!

You are not alone in your sentiments. Here on the forum, i’ve seen sellers say all the fun has gone out of eBay for them as well. I haven't personally experienced this, but it is regularly expressed.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I look at different areas, occasionally, to see it there IS something I might want to buy. However, I don't find the quality that was frequent in the earlier days. I don't know if the bidders with whom I competed are still around since everybody is 'protected', which took much of the excitement out of finding and buying, or competing, for something unusual or rare or wonderful. New areas of research or discovery have been made much more difficult to 'spy out', but since there seems to be a dearth of good, old, wonderful thing around, it's a little easier to live with.  And, if I want commodity 'things', I just go down to the store (we all still need hobbies).

There are as many people with their reasons to not be having fun here as there are different people. For some it is has been more traumatic than others, so the degree of disappointment and curtailment of activities varies. For me, I stopped selling here with the Boycott of '08. I'm still around because of the foolish (to my mind) hope that thing will turn around enough to bring the pleasure back. Other have a less drastic response, and some will never even look back.

Perhaps it isn't so bad that ebay has 'evolved' so much, though. Some think I already have enough collections and, at my age, I really don't NEED to start any more - the closets are full of packed containers, there is no place to put another display case or bookcase, if I want to hang a picture it will have to be on the ceiling, the car has never seen the inside of the garage and the paths are getting narrower and narrower as it is.

Best wishes for the Season and the New Year.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone has a great day filled with food, fun and family. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@thingsuluv2havenow wrote:

I don't buy much of anything at all anymore. Ebay has stolen fun for me here in countless ways. Now I am wondering if others have had the same experience with this simple pleasure getting stolen as well. 

My experience as a seller has not changed what I buy or how I buy it.

I would never permit eBay to have that sort of power over me. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I stopped selling a while back and just buy now. Postage is too expensive and I got tired of dealing with buyers who whine about every little thing, even when it is pointed out that the auction clearly states what the defect was and there is pictures of it. Got sick of all the nonsense. Also all of ebay's fees was a killer for me. Unless I was selling hundreds if high value items then I was barely making any money so it was not worth it. I haven't regretted it at all.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

When I stated priority mail was 3.50 a pound. Now it is almost double.

-----------

Check out Regional A and B boxes.

Far, far cheaper.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

All of the replies were wonderful to read, I especially like yours because the last paragraph made me laugh. I can relate!

Happy New years to all.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

When I stated priority mail was 3.50 a pound. Now it is almost double.

-----------

Check out Regional A and B boxes.

Far, far cheaper.

Lynn

And Pirate Ship Priority Mail cubic rates!!

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I look at different areas, occasionally, to see it there IS something I might want to buy. However, I don't find the quality that was frequent in the earlier days. I don't know if the bidders with whom I competed are still around since everybody is 'protected', which took much of the excitement out of finding and buying, or competing, for something unusual or rare or wonderful. New areas of research or discovery have been made much more difficult to 'spy out', but since there seems to be a dearth of good, old, wonderful thing around, it's a little easier to live with.  And, if I want commodity 'things', I just go down to the store (we all still need hobbies).

There are as many people with their reasons to not be having fun here as there are different people. For some it is has been more traumatic than others, so the degree of disappointment and curtailment of activities varies. For me, I stopped selling here with the Boycott of '08. I'm still around because of the foolish (to my mind) hope that thing will turn around enough to bring the pleasure back. Other have a less drastic response, and some will never even look back.

Perhaps it isn't so bad that ebay has 'evolved' so much, though. Some think I already have enough collections and, at my age, I really don't NEED to start any more - the closets are full of packed containers, there is no place to put another display case or bookcase, if I want to hang a picture it will have to be on the ceiling, the car has never seen the inside of the garage and the paths are getting narrower and narrower as it is.

This is why God invented bigger houses... just sayin'...

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@thingsuluv2havenow wrote:

Hi. I haven't been around here for quite some time because I hated the format, but NOW...it is really nice.

I am a seller for umteen years over. I've seen the ups and downs. When I stated priority mail was 3.50 a pound. Now it is almost double. As the shipping rate goes up my sales go down. So this is where I put my blame. Oh and lets not forget the huge fees coming at you from every direction. EBAY ITS TIME TO CUT OUR FEES AT LEAST ON SHIPPING COSTS. AND DON'T SNEAK IT IN ELSEWHERE. 

Having said all that, the real reason I came here today is because I really really miss being able to read various feedback from time to time and get to see what people actually buy. It was entertaining and would result in me seeing and buying things I had no idea even existed. I don't buy much of anything at all anymore. Ebay has stolen fun for me here in countless ways. Now I am wondering if others have had the same experience with this simple pleasure getting stolen as well. Thanks for reading things stored up for years.

I can't say anything could ruin   the joy of shopping for me . In fact I was back on the prowl earlier today . Selling at times can be frustrating   but business  is that way  no matter what form it's in . I think  we just need to make ourselves  always look at the glass half full  to get the most joy  out of life . Merry Christmas  ! 🙂   Tulips 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone has a great day filled with food, fun and family.  drinkwine 

Yes  lots of food for sure ! Here is what I made this holiday season  . Eight loaves of banana bread , 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies , 6 dozen peanut butter cookies , 6 dozen sugar cookies and 3 pounds of fudge .  All with flour, sugar , eggs ,, chocolate , canned milk , vanilla  extract  etc .  We gave most of it away as gifts  and it really did fill in the gaps and kept expenses way down.  Tulips

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

@drinkwine1204 wrote:

Merry Christmas to all. Hope everyone has a great day filled with food, fun and family.  drinkwine 

Yes  lots of food for sure ! Here is what I made this holiday season  . Eight loaves of banana bread , 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies , 6 dozen peanut butter cookies , 6 dozen sugar cookies and 3 pounds of fudge .  All with flour, sugar , eggs ,, chocolate , canned milk , vanilla  extract  etc .  We gave most of it away as gifts  and it really did fill in the gaps and kept expenses way down.  Tulips

We ate 30 lb of mashed potatoes.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

This is why God invented bigger houses... just sayin'...

Ah, yes, this is true.  However, ebay has saved me from myself in this regard.  Nothing for me to have to make room  for has come along in a long time.  Maybe I'm just getting picky in my old age?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 14
latest reply