cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed payments

I've been with ebay for almost 10 years now. I have an above average rating and I've been very happy with everything. Now this Managed Payments has caused me for the first time , to consider closing my account.  I don't know what transpired between ebay and paypal but I was happy with it and I 

don't care for the idea of having my personal bank account wide open to ebay.  There are too many changes going on with Our Government right now and this just feels like one more way of being manipulated into loosing all control . I'd like to know how others feel about this new policy. And if there are no other options I will definitely close out.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Managed payments

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got forced into Managed payments myself. I am a casual seller (maybe sell 6 items a year), but have been an ebayer forever. I have never had a negative feedback as either a buyer or a seller in any transaction, for almost 20 years now. But this new direction is absolute garbage.  I resent a number of things . . .

1) not being given the option to opt out. . . . ebay is using it's bully pulpit to force longtime users into doing what it wants, rather than simply providing a superior product and earning our financial transaction business.

2) The fact that I have to give my SSID to yet another online organization (howe many times have we seen personal information get hacked.)

3) The fact that you don't actually receive your funds until well after your item has been shipped and received (with paypal my funds were instantly available). It is november 8th today . . . I just sold a $230 item, and eBay is giving me an estimated time to availability of funds until December 9th. I should not have to wait a month for my funds. I don't like shipping expensive items until I have received funds, which is how paypal worked. Now I have to wait for eBay to act as an escrow agent, and wait a month until I receive my money so they can make interest on the float by holding my money for a month?  

4) Their account verification process is extemely slow. I entered my banking information, and am still waiting for the "micro transactions" to validate my account. eBay says if I don't see them "within a few business days" to check with my bank? Why is this process so difficult? 

5) They even make it difficult to ship. You can't even print out a simple packing slip anymore without paying for postage through eBay. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to circumvent their shipping label **bleep** and ship my package, entering my tracking information directly without buying my shipping from ebay.  

This will be the last transaction I make on ebay. I thankfully don't rely on eBay to make a living . . . I just sell things occasionally. I am happy to use other online marketplaces now that eBay is in full predatory corporate leverage mode. I happily deleted my Facebook and Instagram accounts when I felt those platforms were getting out of control, and will not miss eBay very much either. 

Not a fan of these new changes. 

Message 76 of 83
latest reply

Selling on FEEbay since '98. Full time since a bit before covid.
We were all lied to regarding managed payments - They said nothing would change, you would get your money as quickly, blah, blah,blah...
At first it seemed like everything was going OK. I had actually thought they should take fees out immediately for some time so I wouldn't be hit up for a big bill at the end of the month. I have no problem with that -although when I started selling, fees were like 2.5% and went down from there! And there was no fee on shipping charges (but I can't blame em for the shipping charge commission as there were a lot of people inflating shipping to avoid fees). Fee are not my issue-
Several months into FEEbay MP, I had sold a large item -not a huge priced item, less than $1000, listed as freight/local pickup. Customer was simply inquiring about shipping but used "where's my item" and FEEbay immediately put a hold on all of my sales. Meaning funds wouldn't be released until after delivery was confirmed or positive feedback received! Item was actually delivered on the same day. SO I called FEEbay. THey answered the call with "than you for being a loyal customer since 1998, what can we do for you"? I said treat me with some customer loyalty! They said this would "only" effect my account for 30 days, then drop off! After 30 minutes and pulling the "can I speak to your supervisor" card, the "supervisor" told the CSR that they would put in an order to fix it as it was a glitch. It was fixed in a couple days.
Problem is that we were told nothing would be any different than with PayPal payments. But being a verified PayPal customer, they never put hold on any money unless there was an actual chargeback. And that's my problem. Everything is different with managed payments -And not in favor of the seller!
As far as payment holds, I understand FEEbay wanting to compete with Amazon and mae sellers offer free returns for any reason under the sun, free shipping, etc. And any zero feedback customer can use the Not as Described button to cheat sellers - The only recourse we have is to report the buyer. If buyer gets too many complaints they will get a warning! Many more they may have their account closed and be required to make a new one! (registering as buyer is easier than as a seller). In other words FEEbay has loyalty to the buyer and NONE to the seller. They'll treat you a little better if you're a top rated seller (and if you offer free shipping and free returns). The problem with that is, I don't sell beanie babies and trinkets! I sell a lot of large items, many of which ship by freight. If I offered free returns with no questions asked, I could lose thousands of dollars a year in bogus, tire-kicker returns! Not happening! I'll never be a top rated seller so FEEbay will never have even a hint of "customer loyalty".
WHat really needs to happen is if sellers join together and make a seller's union. Sellers pay FEEbay from their sales. FEEbay treating us like we are not their customer is like the landlord of a commercial property managing your customer relationship! While I understand they have to weed out unscrupulous sellers and scammers but they treat all sellers like potential criminals.
It's a really bad dynamic that has continued to get worse over the years.
When Meg Whitman left, FEEbay started going downhill as a good place to sell while the fees continued to go up!
Great place to buy but not such a great place to sell these days.
But what's the alternative???

Message 77 of 83
latest reply

@jrw36 wrote:

Selling on FEEbay since '98.

although when I started selling, fees were like 2.5%

And there was no fee on shipping charges

Fee are not my issue-
Several months into FEEbay MP

LOL.

And good luck starting a sellers union.

Message 78 of 83
latest reply

An option may be a completely separate bank and bank account that can be maintained separately and LOCKED DOWN fast and is not connected to your personal bank account.
eBay has proven they can and will take money from sellers INSTANTLY while taking 3 to 5 days to give sellers the money they made after eBay scrubs it of every penny they feel entitled to.
I have not yet sorted out exactly how I will enter 2021 but more than likely, it will not include eBay and managed payments.
The risks sellers face are huge and eBay truly doesn't care.  Any of the poor customer service people had nothing to do with policy or abuse and are left holding the bag by eBay executives.

Message 79 of 83
latest reply

What feeBay fails to recognize is, with no sellers, there is no fee-Bay.

After 15 years and teaching others how to use the platform, I have a feeling my relationshp with feeBay is at an end, sooner rather than later.

FeeBay, put quite simply, could not care less for eBay sellers.
But they are trying!

Message 80 of 83
latest reply

My point exactly - without sellers there is no revenue stream. You could argue the buyers matter, but cmon, who's taking the risk? I've been scammed so many times that eBay is the last safe haven I could call home. I get postmasters to witness my shipments now and I have no issues.

I have been also impacted by this managed payments issue - Paypal can't close an erroneously opened dispute without direct contact from a buyer in most cases, in this case a buyer admitted they made a mistake in dispute and messaged me that it's not necessary to refund or allow a return on a working item I shipped, as they followed my troubleshooting steps and got it running. They even left me positive feedback! All of this is visible to the eBay and Paypal dispute teams. They could not close the case because of an inability to close a dispute where my account has negative/no funds to take from. Of course they couldn't! Because they opened the dispute after I had been paid out, and eBay takes no action until decision. Paypal however, stated and confirmed they attempted to close the case but could not because my account had no funds. Obviously! I asked for a workaround and finally got close to a resolution. 

I walked this process with Anand Ramasubramanian, allegedly Director of Product Management for Managed Payments on LinkedIn through cursory search. I'm not sure of pecking order here, but I need someone at eBay to read this content that we've all experienced. I did not expect a message back and I did not receive one.

I ran a $4B US (Yes B) Distribution operation and was responsible for design of process and execution of risk management strategies/operations. If I designed a process like this, I would have been asked to leave. 

Message 81 of 83
latest reply

There are many sellers with the same concerns. Most just opened up a separate bank account just for managed payments purposes. Just keep some funds in the account & then sell away.  Then, you can transfer funds to your actual personal account at your earliest convenience. 

Message 82 of 83
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 83 of 83
latest reply