cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madness at the post office

When I was in the PO today there must have been a dozen people.

Half of them did not have their packages ready to go.

or even labels on them, their number was called.

And they would trot up to the counter with a box open on each end.

And expect the PO to do their packing for them.

Amatures

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Madness at the post office

My mail carrier & I have already exchanged gifts this week = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

i go to the main hub in Providence ri. whre people take the packages of bubble wrap and the tape and use it then leave it on the counter and do not pay. i have even seen people stick the tape roles in thier pockets and walk off with it and even stick the unused bubble wrap left over from the roll and stick it in the package they are mailing and seal it up. this happens day in and day out, makes me sick knowing this is a contributing factor to all the postage increases.

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

I see this all the time at the main hub in Providence Ri. nobody has forms filled out, or packages taped up. The clerks in this main branch are super kind and patient and i have seen numerous clerks boxing and taping packages up for people with a smile while everyone else in line has steam coming out of thier ears!

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Only a dozen people in line?

At this time of year my busy branch PO usually has 20+ people waiting.

There is a drop off area, but nothing is scanned at the branch PO.  Everything is trucked across town to the main PO.  Priority packages are scanned before midnight.  First class gets scanned before midnight...maybe, or maybe not.  Ground services and international usually aren't scanned until they reach a sorting center after midnight.

i really want (need?) a same day acceptance scan, so I've gone with carrier pick-up for the last year or so.  I'm lucky that that option is available to me.

Last year, convincing sub/new hire/temp carriers to scan on pick up was very painful indeed, involving multiple phone calls, gritted-teeth conversations with the postmaster, and online complaints.  This year, so far so good. 

I just don't have to time be at home every day and to stand in line at the PO whenever I need to ship something.

If it works as it should and is a viable option, carrier pick up is great! 

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting to read everyone's post office stories -- from the tiny rural ones to the mega-offices in metro areas.  My own post office is neither huge nor tiny - but right in between.  I'm in a suburban area, and lucky that my workplace is across the street from the post office -- just a 2 minute drive.  I can afford to drop off my mail there daily before 5pm, in addition to carrier pickup which happens in the early afternoon.

The last time I had to stand in line at the post office was over 10 years ago, when I sent something via Registered Mail.  Yep, it's always dreadful having to wait in line, especially this time of year.  I'm thankful for technology and how even the DMV has made most services available online, eliminating those astronomical wait times.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

The crazy part is when someone wants to apply for a passport and have their picture taken.

To complete this process takes a minimum 30mins. The line is out the door, people are steaming and plotting how to get even with the Passport applicant, it's funny to watch although frustrating.

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Before I got to your post I was thinking the same thing.

Round & round like the armatures they are ~ LOL

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

I am so glad that my post office kicks people out of the line if they try to pull that.  They point them over to the freestanding counter in the center and tell them to go pack it up and write up the labels over there and THEN get back in line.  It earns them some dirty looks but the rest of us sure appreciate it!

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

@yuzuha

@yuzuha wrote:

I am so glad that my post office kicks people out of the line if they try to pull that.  They point them over to the freestanding counter in the center and tell them to go pack it up and write up the labels over there and THEN get back in line.  It earns them some dirty looks but the rest of us sure appreciate it!

Monkey boy is going to be bad tomorrow, I need to buy a box,

I am going to use my Mad Monkey voice and yell out.

"Why is there not a notice on the door, pack your junk before you take a number"

Actually I kind of like going in this time of year.

It's the one time I can look around and think....

I am the smartest person in the room.

Last year there was a little girl in front of me having a hard time

getting her package on the counter, I said miss let me help you.

The thing must have weighed 50 lbs, looked like the seams could bust any second.

And it was taped up with grey duck tape.

when it was my turn, I said to the guy, that package will never survive.

he just smiled, and said it won't survive getting out of the building. 

I have been known, that when there is an open window, before they call the next number.

I will yell out prepaid, just dropping off, and they will wave me up.

And the armatures can kiss my hiney

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

Most of the drugstores have cut staff in post office outlets from 2 to 1 person.  GREED.  Went to one yesterday, packages piled high, 13 people in line.  Most of the people are clueless about the online label system so they do the old manual forms which now (thanks Canada Revenue, you mothers) have to be completely typed-in by hand by the staff member.  No wonder despite having a poor delivery record in some cases, UPS and Fedex are growing 30% a year.

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

HAH, I can't argue that.  This time of year brings out all the people who never mail anything otherwise, and you can tell.

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

@yuzuha

@yuzuha wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

HAH, I can't argue that.  This time of year brings out all the people who never mail anything otherwise, and you can tell.

yep it's a hoot, and if the parking lot is packed,

I just keep driving to the pub across the street.

I can have a brew and keep an eye out the window,

to watch the parking lot, when I see a lull I make my move. 

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

I wish mine had a pub across the street!  That would make life a lot more convenient, albeit also more expensive.  But hey, 'tis the season, right?

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

I saw one woman take a package out of the bin.  I hope it was hers, but she actually walked out of the post office with it after her friend mailed an identical package.  .  

Pretty sure I'd have called that to someone's attention.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 29 of 42
latest reply

I hear ya...I purchase the labels online, and my postman picks them up and scans them...
I don't have to do that anymore..much much easier.
Message 30 of 42
latest reply