cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madness at the post office

When I was in the PO today there must have been a dozen people.

Half of them did not have their packages ready to go.

or even labels on them, their number was called.

And they would trot up to the counter with a box open on each end.

And expect the PO to do their packing for them.

Amatures

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Madness at the post office

It's "amateurs", not "amatures".

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

And those same people will have heart attacks when they find out how much  it costs to ship something.

(Our Post Office won't even hold a dozen people lol)

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Yes that can be distressing to go through.  Fortunately I am a professional sellers who buys postage online, and my local PO has a drop off zone, I do not have to go through the horror as you have described. 

I do get a lot of dirty looks from those standing in line though?

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

It's that time of year when Christmas shipping brings out everyone who normally doesn't mail anything larger than a letter.  My post office was also clogged up with a line of people doing the same thing.  I got the stink eye from everyone when I strode past them all to drop my pile of packages and acceptance sheet on the counter.

This is the equivalent of what those of us in the bar business call New Years Eve.  Amateur night.

Joe

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

@goodluckselling

@goodluckselling wrote:

Yes that can be distressing to go through.  Fortunately I am a professional sellers who buys postage online, and my local PO has a drop off zone, I do not have to go through the horror as you have described. 

I too buy online, and I was not there to drop off, just to check on a package.

When they get busy they put an extra person out who does nothing 

but help those wanting to pickup held mail, or buy stamps.

I was in and out in nothing flat.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

It's terrible this time of year.  Yesterday the line was 15 deep at 5pm and the bin was overflowing.  I didn't want to add my packages to the pile so I waited for 20 minutes to get the scan.  I saw one woman take a package out of the bin.  I hope it was hers, but she actually walked out of the post office with it after her friend mailed an identical package.   I try to help people by pointing out the free boxes and the counter where they can set thier packages while waiting in line.   They really get angry when they choose a box to buy (non Priority) and then find out they have to buy tape, too.  

Today I walked in a 5:55 and there was no line.  

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@goodluckselling

@goodluckselling wrote:

I too buy online, and I was not there to drop off, just to check on a package.

When they get busy they put an extra person out who does nothing 

but help those wanting to pickup held mail, or buy stamps.

I was in and out in nothing flat.

Yea I know what you are saying.  I sometimes have to wait in line to buy postage or get more tubs. 

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

Thank goodness for small towns.

I've never had to wait 20 minutes at the post office in my life, lol.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Schedule your pickups - who has time to stand in lines?

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 10 of 42
latest reply

@authentic*vintage

@authentic*vintage wrote:

I have time, but I am past the PO at least 3 times a day.

If the lot is full, I just keep driving.

I want my acceptance scan, and I have never had to wait in line for more 

than 5 min or so.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Could be closer to right as armatures LOL

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

I have the best postal delivery person around. She picks mine up with normal delivery for no extra charge. When she gets to my mailbox, she takes them out of the box and scans them one at a time. It's such a great service and I am trying to decide which of my nice blouses I want to give her for Christmas. She is so awsome. No waiting in line. (So many stairs, I can't climb them to get in the post office, but she takes excellent care of me.

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@authentic*vintage wrote:

Lucky that I am here in NJ and do have delivery & pickup , but my sister lives in the Pocono mountain area in PA, she does not have mail delivery at all. She has a PO box & has to go to the Post office every day. It is so small it closes from 12 to 1 for lunch.

I think we just assume everyone has these simple things like mail delivery Smiley Happy
I aways say to her how crazy that is , I can't imagine .

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

My post office is tiny, out of my way and I work 50 miles out of town, so...I definitely take advantage of the mail carrier pickup option

My carrier has had a learning curve right along with me. I put my scan sheet in the bag with my packages - she scans it when she picks up. I have to give her something nice this year, she's been great.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 15 of 42
latest reply