cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Sales

My sales have totally started to drop over the last few months. I have tried Free Shipping, low starting prices etc. and just gets worse!! I am currently at the point I can't even pay fees most of the time!! At one point I was doing $800.00 to $1200.00 a week in auction sales now lucky if I clear $100.00 a week. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Low Sales

@fortwaynecards wrote:

My sales have totally started to drop over the last few months. I have tried Free Shipping, low starting prices etc. and just gets worse!! I am currently at the point I can't even pay fees most of the time!! At one point I was doing $800.00 to $1200.00 a week in auction sales now lucky if I clear $100.00 a week. Any thoughts?

Happening to most of us. Been hearing it on these posts for a few years now.

Lots more online and app competition out there. Auctions use to be very popular, but no more. I think people just don't have the same attention span as b4.

Sellers have to change with the times and use the tools we are given to our best advantage.

My sales dropped 60% from when I started 10 yrs ago.

Hope it gets better for you.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

This Government shutdown have something to do with this low sales, its like People are afraid of buying even your prices are the lowest per say.. and Don't forget that eBay prefer the big companies over you, which means you are last to be found in the search engines and many other things that makes small sellers last.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I totally can relate not enough sales and low offers on items no one seems to want to buy on here anymore its sad, im sure the goverment shut down is hurting us but even before that it has been slow worse ive ever seen it on here ebay needs to do something quick or face loosing alot of sellers which in turn many of us sellers are buyers as well so they need to help us out have a sale something  anything cant pay fees if no sales

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I get the impression that eBay wants us to use their promoted listings platform, so that they can get a greater cut of the action.  If we don't, then our listings get dropped down to the bottom of the search.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

It is hard to know what to say about all this as it has been a topic of discussion for a very long time. It is beyond me why as a company ebay is not more concerned about losing it's sellers. I realize they have tons of sellers but soon the public will not want to purchase Chinese junk once they realize it is not worth anything and the big box sellers are selling on so many sites I doubt people will be coming to ebay looking for those things. Still it is the unique items that can only be found on a few sites including ebay that made ebay great in the first place. Not that hard to figure out!

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

The last 15 items I put on auction,not one sold. Cards ranging up to $20.00 with a starting bid of .98. Most had just 2 views and that counts the time I looked at it. I am lucky to get one sale a week from my store. Getting ready to close ebay. They treat there sellers like **bleep**.  Sorry

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@fortwaynecards wrote:

I've got some bad news for you. Collectibles and especially sports cards are a tough sell right now. More of them available than people looking for them.  Young people aren't into them and the people who used to collect them are aging. It will get worse  before it gets better. I sell collectibles also, but am trying to stay away from listing many cards because they just don't move.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@fortwaynecards wrote:

You were doing $800-$1200 in sales, and now you are clearing $100 a week.

That is comparing apples and oranges.

Especially for a seller with 1000+ listings that closed at $1 or less with free shipping. I can imagine some of those were losing propositions. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Cherry pick your auction items until sales improve? And switch the more iffy items to fixed price?

I don’t think your high sales are balancing out the proportion of low closing sales.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@honeybeez-15 wrote:

I get the impression that eBay wants us to use their promoted listings platform, so that they can get a greater cut of the action.  If we don't, then our listings get dropped down to the bottom of the search.

Well I don't know .I've been using the promoted listings option  since it began  and for quite a while my sales  improved . However I just went 5 days without a sale until I had two this afternoon.  Tulips

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

You've sold 2229 items over the past however many months the sold list goes back (can't remember if it's two or three). I see $1.25, 26 cents, $6.50, 75 cents...lots and lots of stuff you have given away. Very few items over $10. There's no way you can be making any money, not selling stuff for only a few cents, unless you like paying yourself a nickel an hour.

Were it me, I would lot up those lower value cards and list them at a fixed price with best offer.  Find a way to raise your ASP.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

What does the government shutdown have to do with people afraid of buying?

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I sell cards myself. I've been selling cards for over 20 years. I carry just about everything in NBA, MLB, NFL, Yugioh, Pokemon, Magic, and WWE cards on 2 anchor stores (no hockey). My sales have gone up the last several months. My sales have been mostly consistent for the last 2 years.

I started out selling only sports cards, but eventually branched out to gaming cards. Maybe something for you to look into?

Sports cards are not a tough sell right now. It all depends on what you have for sale and selling strategy. 

I know a lot of people nowadays don't have the patience to wait for an auction to end, so they usually skip those listings and go for the buy it now. They want the card right away, not a week or so later. 

Doesn't it cost you more money to list so many auctions as opposed to buy it now? That's a lot of work to do for so many one off listings. Your sell thru rate is great, but that really doesn't matter if your not making a profit.

I see that your listings are saying you will ship in a bumble mailer for free if order is over $5? Most of your profits will be going towards shipping with the new USPS rates going up Sunday. 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

stop using auctions for starters. Every single auction I have done has gone TERRIBLE. Here is what auctions are still good for.

Scrap gold
Scrap silver

Thats it man, I havnt seen a good auction in a real long time that wasnt in one of those two categories every NR auction Ive done has turned out incredibly poor. Fixed Listings NO BO (ebay will put it in for you later against your will) play with the numbers and see what your competition is doing.
Message 15 of 32
latest reply