cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LACK OF FREE LISTING PROMOTIONS?

I HAVE A BASIC STORE AND I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I GOT A PROMTION FOR FREE LISTINGS.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: LACK OF FREE LISTING PROMOTIONS?

@inkydynk wrote:

I HAVE A BASIC STORE AND I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I GOT A PROMTION FOR FREE LISTINGS.

I get them all the time.

However, one must be careful when finding items to fulfill those free listing capacities.

If the majority of the listings don't sell, you'll be tempted to pay for the overage next month.

And with sales in general so slow, it's more like a trap.

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

The only thing free promotions bring are an even higher increase of the already saturated categories. 

I'm glad they aren't giving out freebies honestly. Add 30 cents to your handling or don't list it if it's not even worth paying the small insertion fee. 

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@pantlandia wrote:

my business plan doesnt rely on free listings.

Every seller is different.  

My business plan includes never paying a listing fee or a store subscription, so I rely on them.

I generally receive about 10,000 free listings per year between my two selling accounts. 

But you are also not here complaining that you aren't getting them when you don't get them. So, you may build your business plan around them, but you are smart enough to know they aren't guaranteed. 

I have to ask, what are your plans should eBay decide to do away with them entirely? I can almost guarantee that you do have a plan if this happens. Unfortunately 99.9% of the people who rely on them don't.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I wish I could pass mine on to you. They throw more at me than I am ever going to be able to use.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I "rely" on them also to list. I don't use Ebay as my main source of income,just something to supplemnt and or have a little fun. If there are no free listings that means I'm  not activly selling,meaning I'm also not activly engaged in using Ebay which means I'm not browsing around and buying (This is not my buying ID)

So to a point I think having free promos benefit the casual seller and also other sellers as now there are potential buyers actively sisgned in useing the site.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I don't think we'll ever know about the listings and the views they bring.  After the 50 free, I can find myself listing extra listings and no views or sales - BUT....when those freebie promos come out - I can list the same items that have not sold for years DURING a promotional period and sell a ton of items - I find that very strange - it is like I have no viewership during times Ebay does not want me in the "flow" and then (I guess if I have been good enough), they will give a scrap of free promo listings to make up and ALLOW me to be seen in some region (and yes, the regions CHANGE where the items sell EACH time the promo comes out) - The algorithm of the search robot cycles.  Because the buying habits of people REALLY don't change year to year - if you are a mom with kids - certain months you buy the clothes and the materials, certain times the household goods etc.  When the sale months are not showing the same trends year after year - something is occurring beyond just post and sell.  I think trying to drum up business to "have it all" on EBAY at one time will stagnate the site - because the BIG COMMERCE dealers and the STORE dealers CONSTANTLY have their items up for promos and direct sell and Ebay wants to please Big Shops, so their attention is daily sales like the other MAJOR Website and not auctions or collectibles, used parts etc.  LIke daily retail, the stores try to change year to year to keep their profits going - guess we should be happy that Ebay is still in the running.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Our store received 100 free listings last week.  Such a relief.  Had a great week after that!  Best wishes to all.  hang in there.  the months before that were tough, and i mean MONTHS.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

I toooooo! are sitting on a large inventory o well having a yard sale soon will get rid ot it that way

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I'm sitting on a ton of items and not sure if it is worth the hassle to list and not sell. I think we small sellers are just getting booted out slowly. Big business has taken over once again. We need to start another shopping site, JUST for we little guys.
At least I know it's not just me. Many of us are having problems. At least I don't have to depend on my sales to survive, but feel for the ones that do.
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

If we raise our prices the little guy won't ever sell anything.
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

The large sellers often do NOT sell what small sellers do.  

If you are competing with a bunch of larger sellers for the items you sell, consider trying to find items that you aren't going to be found so easily from large sellers on Ebay.  Sometimes this can help.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@hugs1313 wrote:
I'm sitting on a ton of items and not sure if it is worth the hassle to list and not sell. I think we small sellers are just getting booted out slowly. Big business has taken over once again. We need to start another shopping site, JUST for we little guys.
At least I know it's not just me. Many of us are having problems. At least I don't have to depend on my sales to survive, but feel for the ones that do.

So, you're saying that because eBay doesn't give free listings hand over fist, they want small sellers gone? I mean, you're a small seller, you get 50 free listings. So, small amount for a small seller...

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I have hundreds of items to post, but I will not pay the fee.  If I have free postings I will list. Otherwise I use Etsy or sit oon them

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/selling-db.

Thanks.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply