cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just discovered frightening information about Ebay

I am in a bitter dispute with my buyer. I have an excellent seller record. I have never had a complaint. I have handled large ticket priced returns with no issues. In this case a few days prior I did a $599 dollar return with NO issues.  Then this one buyer decides to scam me claiming I sent him a different item than pictured.  First he demands some money back. I told him no. Why would I give someone extra money back when I didn't send the broken item he claims I did. Then he threatened my feedback score if I didn't so I told him to open a case if he has an issue with me. That seemed the most protected thing I could reply with. I called Ebay after he trashed my feedback & they restored by removing it. All in total I have spent 6 hours on the phone with Ebay. 4 times reassured I would win the dispute based on my detailed photos and that his claim has even a different serial number than what I sent. Imagine my shock when he won the case & can just "send the broken part back".  

He has heat in his house because of my good part and he going to send me back the broken part he removed to put mine in and I am the one eating the sale.  Folks this is a $200 sale plus about $60 in shipping.  Needless to say I was furious. I called Ebay talked to a supervisor and discovered some frightening things.

First of all your history as a seller and feedback score mean NOTHING to those deciding a case.

All cases are merited by the information of the sale only.  Is that not insane. I have hundreds of good sales and that doesn't count.  He has a feed back of 62.  Really.  My history and return history as a seller makes no difference when deciding a case like this. 

I thought that was what Ebay scores were all about. We all know Ebay tends to rule more for the buyer than the seller but when you have large ticked items these ruling can ruin your back account and in this case my daughters Christmas. This man has threatened me. Tried to extort me. Yet they gave him my part and his money back.  This is not justice.  Yet I know when the part comes I can open a case that they didn't send what I sent back.  That isn't the point.  My point is fair and valid.  Why would a seller with an impecable history who have large ticket returns with no issues suddenly decide to screw over this guy?  I assumed my history was part of judging me as a seller.

I am now considering limiting my Ebay sales to nothing over $50 as I can't afford scam buyers

to ruin my bank account like this.  I am devestated to hear how Ebay decides these cases. I wanted

you all to know that it's shocking to discover this I had no idea and for those of you out there selling please keep that in mind. Your sales history means NOTHING when it comes to deciding a case.

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Just discovered frightening information about Ebay

@chuck-r wrote:

This is a common scam. Ebay sides with the buyer almost every time, which is why this scam continues. This is why I don't sell much on Ebay.

Many electronic items have serial numbers. So save the serial number of the item you sold, and have the seller take a clear pic of the serial number of the item they claim is broken. You might find more cases in your favor this way if you can positively identify the item with your serial number.

You're right, but wrong.

eBay sides with eBay every time. It just works out that the buyer is usually an unintended beneficiary. Don't fool yourself into thinking that eBay has any less contempt for buyers than they do for sellers.

Let me explain. When a buyer throws a fit eBay has a choice. They can either do what's right and lose a buyer and the fees from a disputed sale, or they can do what every other blood money grubbing USA corporation will do- monetize someone else's misfortune.

When they "allow" a buyer to scam a seller, it benefits eBay financially in multiple ways:

1. eBay gets to keep all the fees in a non seller resolved dispute.

2. eBay gets to buy buyer goodwill with somebody else's money... yours.

3. If the little light bulb goes off in the happy buyer's head, he keeps "buying" and eBay keeps raking in the fees.

4. Enough of these and lots of sellers suddenly become worth 4% more to eBay as they drop to Standard or below. eBay says:

large

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 61 of 94
latest reply

@ev_healer wrote:

My point exactly. I don't even have a part with the serial number of the part he claims I sent. He also wouldn't provide full pictures of the part as I asked for both sides to be pictured so I could explain how that part couldn't be mine. I also asked that his broken part and my supposed part be photo graphed in one shot so we could see both the item he claims I sent and the broken part he was replacing because one of those would show my serial number but he didn't send me the photo and ebay didn't care to see that photo or require him to provide it. That alone would have solved this dispute. He should have two motors in his possesion. The one I sent and his broken one.  We would have seen the unbroken one has my serial numbers on it but ebay said they can't make him provide a picture with both items side by side... Why not? I am being asked to prove it and that photograph would prove it.  It's all backwards in my opinion. 

So cars have the moter number on the side of the door. manufacturers keep track of Parts in case of a recall. Do You have a contact with the manufacturer who can check that part number he gave You or serial number...and tell IF it was original with the Furnace? You might be able to tell where the furnace was installed and when it was installed.  just wondering?

I know every bag of Sugar I packaged had a date, time etc. so If there was a recall it could be done in a timely manner to get the sugar out of circulation...Furnace parts could be defective also!  Smiley Wink pam

Message 62 of 94
latest reply

OP, I strongly suggest that you appeal this decision:  Just like this:

Appeal of SNAD case Decision: REF: Auction listing #_________________.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am disputing your case decision   ref case #_________ for the following reasons:

1.  Per eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

Here are some aspects of this dispute, which require “considering”, or, more aptly, “reconsideration” at this point:

1. This buyer has a total FB score of 62, compared to my lengthy and stellar selling history and performance. Please look at my successfully completed listings for similar HVAC parts. The parts are all new and unused. Why would I, all of the sudden, send a buyer a used, broken motor? I would not and I did not send this buyer a blown furnace motor.  I sent him precisely the exact motor as shown in the listing with very clear pictures including a picture of the unique MFG serial number assigned to that motor.

In his SNAD return request, this buyer proffered blatantly false evidence to support his claim. He provided pictures of the supposedly broken motor, pictures, which show a completely different motor with a different serial number.

When one Google's this "Buyer files false Snad and then sends used, broken item back", 1,350,000 results show up in 7.3 seconds! This is a well-known and frequently perpetrated fraud, which this buyer played out perfectly, while you, eBay, turned a blind eye.

2.  Your CS agent asserted that eBay “gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”. I am unable to find this provision, in this specific vernacular, anywhere in your user agreement. Please show me where this clause: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt” is written in the Policy Section?  It is not written anywhere.  Is it one of your “secret” off the books, unwritten rules?   Inquiring minds want to know. Moreover, millions of faithful, honest eBay sellers want to know and deserve to know the answer.  Your apparent unwritten axiom: “eBaygives the buyer the benefit of the doubt” is literally driving off your best and oldest sellers in veritable droves.  Your abject complicity in outright fraud is reprehensible.

To refresh the aspects of this case here is the abridged sequence of events:

1. Buyer demands some money back....a partial refund. I denied that request.
  2. Buyer then threatens my feedback score if I refused to give him a partial refund.
  3. I suggested to Buyer that he Open a Case.
  4. Buyer opens a case and left negative feedback.
  5. I contact eBay CS agent and feedback was removed.
  6. Buyer Opens SNAD case, requesting a “Partial Refund”. I denied
  7. Buyer escalates case, requests total refund. I deny.

NOTE:  In the interim, I spent approximately 6 hours on the phone discussing the veracity of this SNAD dispute with a quartet of eBay CS agents.  On four (4) of these calls, I was repeatedly assured that I would “win the dispute based on my detailed photos and further, in his claim, buyer has offered pictures showing a different serial number than what I sent.”

8. Dispute decided in favor of the Buyer and he can just “send the broken part back".  

9. I immediately contact eBay CS and spoke to a “supervisor” who enlightened/informed me that:

a. My performance history as a seller and feedback/DSRs are inconsequential and of no importance in deciding a case.

b.  All case decisions are merited by the information of the disputed sale only.

c.   My return history as a seller is “meaningless”.  

So how can this be? Either this supervisor was sorely misinformed or just simply unaware of this written policy: eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

More succinctly, in light of this written policy, please explain to me how this case was decided in this buyer’s favor when my seller longevity, history, and seller performance were not even factored into the decision.

Leniency was bestowed no doubt.  It was given to a “buyer” of questionable repute, instead of me, a seller with a long-standing, honorable proven record.  My history speaks for itself. 

This buyer’s history is short and scant, at best:  He tried to extort a partial refund the first time by threatening me with negative feedback.  He then carried out that threat by leaving me negative feedback.  Two calls later to your esteemed CS department the negative feedback was removed. Buyer then opened a SNAD case, again requesting a “Partial refund”, which I denied.  Buyer then requests, you, eBay to step in and now wants a “full refund”.  He is now going for the whole shebang, getting his money back and keeping the good part.  Full-Tilt scam.  Take a note: from this point forward, “Seller” now = “Scammer”.

By the way, the "esteemed" eBay CS agents whom I spoke with, all of whom had unfettered access to the email communications between me and this seller could clearly read the words written between us.

Now, my question is this: Could these CS agents understand and tease out the implied threats via the obvious pugnacious tenor of this seller’s emails?  Could they not discern this buyer’s obvious endgame i.e.  Successful eBay scam?  Apparently not... These "esteemed" eBay CS agents chose to ignore the fact that this scammer’s pictures, which he sent in support of his fraudulent SNAD claim, bore absolutely no resemblance to the original pictures in the listing.  Not even the same serial number.  They chose to ignore his futile attempts at garnering a “partial refund”.   Either your "esteemed "CS agents are all disabled and ambulate around with red-tipped white canes, or they are brainwashed to repeat and live by this Mantra: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”.  Once again, where is this written in your eBay User Policies?  It is not written anywhere.  So tell me, how did this decision on my dispute result in this scammer getting a refund?   He is not going to send that pristine NEW furnace motor back to me. To think otherwise, is just outright delusional.

He likely will not send anything at all.   Are you paying attention here? Whoever made the final decision in this case, well that person is in need of some serious, intensive re-training.  Or maybe not...  The only thing that your “esteemed “CS agents apparently need to know, above all else, is this: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”…plus this addendum: Ignore any evidence to the contrary, the BUYER always prevails. This is how eBay rolls nowadays.

Now, let me address a few other written eBay BEST BUYER POLICIES that this scammer has unquestionably VIOLATED:

PER eBay Policy: If a buyer reports that an item is not as described

If the buyer starts a return request because an item is not as described in the listing, and then asks us to step in and help, you may be protected from losing a case if you provide clear documentation that the item was described accurately and consistently in the listing. This documentation can include photos of the item that you upload to eBay during the returns process.

I provided clear documentation and pictures of the item I sold. In his bogus SNAD claim, this scammer provided pictures of his old, broken furnace motor. Serial numbers DO NOT match. Do you understand this fact?  Does my seller history reflect that I have ever sent a buyer a broken part? Ever?  No.  This begs the question:  Have you even initiated a forescic investigation of this Scammer's  history?  MBG  abuser is my best guess.

Buying practices policy: Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including Feedback removal.

Pretty clear and undisputed that this Scammer has violated this policy. The negative feedback was removed.

Buying behaviors, we don't allow:

Making unreasonable demands:

We don't allow unreasonable or excessive demands. We also consider using the threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening eBay Money Back Guarantee requests as a way to make demands of the seller to be extortion and we don't allow it.

Bingo, check mark, Ding, Ding, Ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  This buyer gets the  Grand Prize  here.

Not allowed:  

Demanding a partial refund or discount not covered by the original listing or the eBay Money Back Guarantee under threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case.

Check, check and check x 3. Three  KFC chicken dinners for this scammer OK.   

Abusing the buyer protection programs

Not allowed:

Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description

• Threatening to open an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case against a seller in order to get a discount or additional goods and services, when the item arrived in the described condition

This is EXACTLY what this Scammer proceeded to do. Read the email communication. It is clear and undisputable.

Opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case:

• Threatening to open an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case against a seller in order to get a discount or additional goods and services, when the item arrived in the described condition

Not to belabor the point, but: This is EXACTLY what this Scammer proceeded to do. Read the email communications and read the Sequence of Events outlined. It is clear and undisputable.

Returning a different item (for example, a used or older model of the same product or an empty box)

If you really think and/or  believe that I am going to get my NEW furnace motor back from this Scammer, well then, I have some oceanfront property  in Arizona that I can sell you at a real bargain. I will even list it on eBay for you.  A real deal.  Yea, right.

In summary, I am asking you, eBay, to reconsider your decision in this case. I have provided you a plethora of evidence in my favor, while this scammer has provided you nothing but falsified evidence in the form of pictures showing his “old, used part”.  Compare our  eBay historical data.

Once again, I remind you of this policy:

eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

Sincerely,

Message 63 of 94
latest reply

Why are you posting all that?  OP already said he got what he was seeking. 

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 64 of 94
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

OP, I strongly suggest that you appeal this decision:  Just like this:

Appeal of SNAD case Decision: REF: Auction listing #_________________.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am disputing your case decision   ref case #_________ for the following reasons:

1.  Per eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

Here are some aspects of this dispute, which require “considering”, or, more aptly, “reconsideration” at this point:

1. This buyer has a total FB score of 62, compared to my lengthy and stellar selling history and performance. Please look at my successfully completed listings for similar HVAC parts. The parts are all new and unused. Why would I, all of the sudden, send a buyer a used, broken motor? I would not and I did not send this buyer a blown furnace motor.  I sent him precisely the exact motor as shown in the listing with very clear pictures including a picture of the unique MFG serial number assigned to that motor.

In his SNAD return request, this buyer proffered blatantly false evidence to support his claim. He provided pictures of the supposedly broken motor, pictures, which show a completely different motor with a different serial number.

When one Google's this "Buyer files false Snad and then sends used, broken item back", 1,350,000 results show up in 7.3 seconds! This is a well-known and frequently perpetrated fraud, which this buyer played out perfectly, while you, eBay, turned a blind eye.

2.  Your CS agent asserted that eBay “gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”. I am unable to find this provision, in this specific vernacular, anywhere in your user agreement. Please show me where this clause: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt” is written in the Policy Section?  It is not written anywhere.  Is it one of your “secret” off the books, unwritten rules?   Inquiring minds want to know. Moreover, millions of faithful, honest eBay sellers want to know and deserve to know the answer.  Your apparent unwritten axiom: “eBaygives the buyer the benefit of the doubt” is literally driving off your best and oldest sellers in veritable droves.  Your abject complicity in outright fraud is reprehensible.

To refresh the aspects of this case here is the abridged sequence of events:

1. Buyer demands some money back....a partial refund. I denied that request.
  2. Buyer then threatens my feedback score if I refused to give him a partial refund.
  3. I suggested to Buyer that he Open a Case.
  4. Buyer opens a case and left negative feedback.
  5. I contact eBay CS agent and feedback was removed.
  6. Buyer Opens SNAD case, requesting a “Partial Refund”. I denied
  7. Buyer escalates case, requests total refund. I deny.

NOTE:  In the interim, I spent approximately 6 hours on the phone discussing the veracity of this SNAD dispute with a quartet of eBay CS agents.  On four (4) of these calls, I was repeatedly assured that I would “win the dispute based on my detailed photos and further, in his claim, buyer has offered pictures showing a different serial number than what I sent.”

8. Dispute decided in favor of the Buyer and he can just “send the broken part back".  

9. I immediately contact eBay CS and spoke to a “supervisor” who enlightened/informed me that:

a. My performance history as a seller and feedback/DSRs are inconsequential and of no importance in deciding a case.

b.  All case decisions are merited by the information of the disputed sale only.

c.   My return history as a seller is “meaningless”.  

So how can this be? Either this supervisor was sorely misinformed or just simply unaware of this written policy: eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

More succinctly, in light of this written policy, please explain to me how this case was decided in this buyer’s favor when my seller longevity, history, and seller performance were not even factored into the decision.

Leniency was bestowed no doubt.  It was given to a “buyer” of questionable repute, instead of me, a seller with a long-standing, honorable proven record.  My history speaks for itself. 

This buyer’s history is short and scant, at best:  He tried to extort a partial refund the first time by threatening me with negative feedback.  He then carried out that threat by leaving me negative feedback.  Two calls later to your esteemed CS department the negative feedback was removed. Buyer then opened a SNAD case, again requesting a “Partial refund”, which I denied.  Buyer then requests, you, eBay to step in and now wants a “full refund”.  He is now going for the whole shebang, getting his money back and keeping the good part.  Full-Tilt scam.  Take a note: from this point forward, “Seller” now = “Scammer”.

By the way, the "esteemed" eBay CS agents whom I spoke with, all of whom had unfettered access to the email communications between me and this seller could clearly read the words written between us.

Now, my question is this: Could these CS agents understand and tease out the implied threats via the obvious pugnacious tenor of this seller’s emails?  Could they not discern this buyer’s obvious endgame i.e.  Successful eBay scam?  Apparently not... These "esteemed" eBay CS agents chose to ignore the fact that this scammer’s pictures, which he sent in support of his fraudulent SNAD claim, bore absolutely no resemblance to the original pictures in the listing.  Not even the same serial number.  They chose to ignore his futile attempts at garnering a “partial refund”.   Either your "esteemed "CS agents are all disabled and ambulate around with red-tipped white canes, or they are brainwashed to repeat and live by this Mantra: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”.  Once again, where is this written in your eBay User Policies?  It is not written anywhere.  So tell me, how did this decision on my dispute result in this scammer getting a refund?   He is not going to send that pristine NEW furnace motor back to me. To think otherwise, is just outright delusional.

He likely will not send anything at all.   Are you paying attention here? Whoever made the final decision in this case, well that person is in need of some serious, intensive re-training.  Or maybe not...  The only thing that your “esteemed “CS agents apparently need to know, above all else, is this: “eBay gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”…plus this addendum: Ignore any evidence to the contrary, the BUYER always prevails. This is how eBay rolls nowadays.

Now, let me address a few other written eBay BEST BUYER POLICIES that this scammer has unquestionably VIOLATED:

PER eBay Policy: If a buyer reports that an item is not as described

If the buyer starts a return request because an item is not as described in the listing, and then asks us to step in and help, you may be protected from losing a case if you provide clear documentation that the item was described accurately and consistently in the listing. This documentation can include photos of the item that you upload to eBay during the returns process.

I provided clear documentation and pictures of the item I sold. In his bogus SNAD claim, this scammer provided pictures of his old, broken furnace motor. Serial numbers DO NOT match. Do you understand this fact?  Does my seller history reflect that I have ever sent a buyer a broken part? Ever?  No.  This begs the question:  Have you even initiated a forescic investigation of this Scammer's  history?  MBG  abuser is my best guess.

Buying practices policy: Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including Feedback removal.

Pretty clear and undisputed that this Scammer has violated this policy. The negative feedback was removed.

Buying behaviors, we don't allow:

Making unreasonable demands:

We don't allow unreasonable or excessive demands. We also consider using the threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening eBay Money Back Guarantee requests as a way to make demands of the seller to be extortion and we don't allow it.

Bingo, check mark, Ding, Ding, Ding. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!  This buyer gets the  Grand Prize  here.

Not allowed:  

Demanding a partial refund or discount not covered by the original listing or the eBay Money Back Guarantee under threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case.

Check, check and check x 3. Three  KFC chicken dinners for this scammer OK.   

Abusing the buyer protection programs

Not allowed:

Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description

This is EXACTLY what this Scammer proceeded to do. Read the email communication. It is clear and undisputable.

Opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case:

Not to belabor the point, but: This is EXACTLY what this Scammer proceeded to do. Read the email communications and read the Sequence of Events outlined. It is clear and undisputable.

Returning a different item (for example, a used or older model of the same product or an empty box)

If you really think and/or  believe that I am going to get my NEW furnace motor back from this Scammer, well then, I have some oceanfront property  in Arizona that I can sell you at a real bargain. I will even list it on eBay for you.  A real deal.  Yea, right.

In summary, I am asking you, eBay, to reconsider your decision in this case. I have provided you a plethora of evidence in my favor, while this scammer has provided you nothing but falsified evidence in the form of pictures showing his “old, used part”.  Compare our  eBay historical data.

Once again, I remind you of this policy:

eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may consider the users’ performance history and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers.

Sincerely,

Have you ever done that - and did it ever work?

There USED to be an appeal link in every ebay dispute - ebay removed it.  That says everything a seller needs to know.

(*Bleep*)
Message 65 of 94
latest reply

Firstly, the OP is seeking his MONEY back in his pocket.... and help with this bogus dispute.  Did you read somewhere on this thread that his case disposition was REVERSED?     His only avenue of address at this point is to appeal this ridiculous decision after 10 days.   My post speciffically addressed this appeal process with some very valid and cogent points that he needs to  make when he submits his appeal. In case you missed this: 

OP wrote:

"This was my duaghters Christmas that he ruined because he is not honest.  I am frightened to sell a high ticket item now. With money at that magnitude at stake they should take all your selling experience into consideration when dealing with dishonest buyers.  JMO 

Hope that cleared it up. Sorry it was bumpy writing. 

I posted it to HELP him try to get this money back. People post on these threads seeking genuine help. They don’t post their tales of woe to be ridiculed, shamed or bullied…all of which is prevalent throughout many of these threads. They seek answers and avenues of possible solutions.  

Secondly,  who are you to question why I , or anyone else , for that matter, posts something??

But to satisfy your curiosity as to why I am "posting all of this"?

First  answer:  I really want to help this person out. 

Second answer : Because I can.

Third answer  : It is really not your business why I posted "all of this" .  It was posted for the OP and has absolutely nothing at all to do with you.

By the way,  I  am certain  that the OP found your input so immensly helpful:

chrysylys

Rockstar

12-10-2017 10:44:39 AM

I'm waiting to find out what the frightening information is.  So far, all I see is the normal dispute process.

Have a Great Holiday Season!

Message 66 of 94
latest reply

@grapplingmonkey wrote:

Ebay is just the middleman giving us the platform for us to sell.... 

Yeah, they tried to sell that for years by saying they were just a venue.  A newspaper that allows you to place a classified ad is a true middleman. You pay them, they place your ad, they're done.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 67 of 94
latest reply

Yes I have used it and yes, I was successful.  My first dispute ever..happened to be  a scammer.  I do not sell  high value items any longer. I stick to 30 year old vintage car parts, nothing over $250.00. No returns.   

Message 68 of 94
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

Yes I have used it and yes, I was successful.  My first dispute ever..happened to be  a scammer.  I do not sell  high value items any longer. I stick to 30 year old vintage car parts, nothing over $250.00. No returns.   

But has it worked recently?  It has been my experience that ebay will not look at anything that is not directly attached to a dispute, so just an email is worthless.

And your comment about not selling high dollar items pretty much says it all.

(*Bleep*)
Message 69 of 94
latest reply

But has it worked recently? It has been my experience that ebay will not look at anything that is not directly attached to a dispute, so just an email is worthless.

And your comment about not selling high dollar items pretty much

First off,  yes, there is an APPEAL process.  When you appeal a dispute decision, they look at everything , all over again.

Yes, it worked one and a half months ago. It was not just an email that I sent, it was also faxed to Trust and Safety High Value Investigations. In addition to a few three way conversations, an FBI report , a USPS mail fraud report and a police report filed with this scammer's local police department. This was a $1200.00 laptop, brand new in the box...never opened etc.

"And your comment about not selling high dollar items pretty much says it all."

Your sarcastic tone, whether intended or not, is noted. What exactly does “pretty much says it all” mean? Let me clear-up it any misguided assumptions that you may be holding. This was my first "Scammer” ever, after nearly 20 years of selling and buying on this venue. I have sold many high-value items ($750-$19,000) over those years. Two returns also in all of that time. Why the returns…they did not know how to turn the machine on. It was “all good” in the end, and those sellers, albeit embarrassed, still buy from me today.

“ I no longer sell high-value items”should say ,to all reading , is this : I am not stupid. I will not be a victim of eBay’s “buyer skewed”, MBG Program . The CS Agents are all inculcated with this mantra “eBaygives the buyer the benefit of the doubt” . Yet is is not written in eBy policy anywhere. Whatever you gleaned from my comment is unknown and certainly does not "say it all". maybe to you it does.  My posts are for everybody.

Let me clarify,  I no longer sell high value items (over $250.00) because of this incident. I have learned just by this ONE incident. One-trial learning…what a novel concept!  I do not have the time to deal with fraudsters who are adept at playing eBay’s MBG cluster for every high-value item that I , or anyone else, for that matter, may sell on this venue. Therefore, I choose not to do it period…and “that says it all.” Do you understand ?

My appeal was very successful, money ($1200.00)was back in my account within 48 hours, and scammer was NARU’d. I made many salient points in my appeal. The two most important points were these:

1. Per eBay User Agreement. Under Section: Policy Enforcement, it states: When a buyer or seller issue arises, we may CONSIDER THE User’s PERFORMANCE and the specific circumstances in applying our policies. We may choose to be more lenient with policy enforcement in an effort to do the right thing for both buyers and sellers. Te fact that eBay overwhelmingly favors buyers with virtually NO HISTORY over seller's with long standing exemplary records is unconscionable. This fraud needs to STOP.
  2. While, the CS agents were sickeningly monotonous in their claim that eBay “gives the buyer the benefit of the doubt”, I persisted to ask " Where is this written in the eBay User agreement. Show me that in your written policy? Duh? Supervisor had NO ANSWER. They could not produce any written policy that support this statement. It is not written anywhere period. I asked "What makes the “seller” less credible that the “Buyer”? No answer. Again, I emplored  them to Look at and CONDSIDER the comparative eBay histories here.

People you just have to be persistent. Call them on their own written policies! Moreover, call them on their own unwritten policies: eBaygives the buyer the benefit of the doubt

As far as my particular scammer is concerned, it is not the end of the story. My scammer is now sitting in a Michigan county jail, pending Federal charges: Interstate wire fraud (Mail), Money-laundering, mail fraud, Aiding and Abetting Terrorists. He is here on a VISA from the Middle-East.

Retrose1, I hope you now have a much clearer meaning concerning my comment “about not selling high dollar items” .  I am not playing into any scammers game.  That really does say it all.

Happy Holidays!!!

GO Cleveland Cavaliers!!!

Message 70 of 94
latest reply

Post a picture of the serial number you listed and the serial number the buyer gave you for us to see.

Message 71 of 94
latest reply

@centexcompsvcs wrote:

Firstly, the OP is seeking his MONEY back in his pocket.... and help with this bogus dispute.  Did you read somewhere on this thread that his case disposition was REVERSED?     His only avenue of address at this point is to appeal this ridiculous decision after 10 days.  

The OP has not even received his item back yet. Without the buyer's side of the story we will never get all the details regardless.

Message 72 of 94
latest reply

I agree with you that it takes a lot of courage to sell online with the possiblity of a scam artist coming around and stealing.  It happens all over the internet with people trying to scam a sale by asking sellers to send thm their Pay Pal info so they can send them a fake payment, fraudulent emails sayng you have been paid when you have not been paid, and the possibility of people sending back the wrong stuff. Ebay started the Ebay authenticate recently for high priced designer items to  help protect buyers and sellers from fraudulent high end transactions, so they know this is a problem.  There is no website that has addressed this issue with faulty returns as I know it . Even seller on their own websites have to fight chargebacks from these people so there really is not a cover all solution to this problem online.

Message 73 of 94
latest reply

Forgot to add that Ebay has come up with a bit of a solution by allowing sellers to refund up to 50 percent less on the return if the item comes back not as you sent it. Hope they really honor that when it happens.

Message 74 of 94
latest reply

Thanks for your detailed post on how you won this case and got that scammer on the radar and that the scammer got caught. This is why you must do whatever necessary like you did to get these people on the radar, eg, police report, IC3 internet fraud report, and the persistence and patience to get someone to look at all this information. Thank you for helping to protect everyone by what you did.

Message 75 of 94
latest reply