cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item was used and now buyer wants a refund

I sold 2 brand new Seresto Dog Flea Collars to a buyer who put them on there dogs for a week and now claims they are defective and don't work and wants to return them for a full refund. I won't be able to sell these items once I get them back because they won't be a brandnew item anymore and they were opened. Is there anything I can do about this? This is 100.00 return that I am going to have to eat. For all I know she is returning the old collars for the one's I sent. 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Item was used and now buyer wants a refund

@abrakadebbra wrote:

I sold 2 brand new Seresto Dog Flea Collars to a buyer who put them on there dogs for a week and now claims they are defective and don't work and wants to return them for a full refund. I won't be able to sell these items once I get them back because they won't be a brandnew item anymore and they were opened. Is there anything I can do about this? This is 100.00 return that I am going to have to eat. For all I know she is returning the old collars for the one's I sent. 

Did she open a claim?  Was it for SNAD?

If she does, you wil unfortunately have to send her postage and refund upon receipt of the item.

And again  unfortunately ebay is only going to care that return postage shows "something" was sent back not necessarily your item.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

It sold for 90.00 you had on ad 60 day return !  WHY ?  You should have no returns on all your products, that's not right of buyer.  Have you called ebay?  Buyers remorse! Do you drop ship ?

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

@modernmacksmagic wrote:

It sold for 90.00 you had on ad 60 day return !  WHY ?  You should have no returns on all your products, that's not right of buyer.  Have you called ebay?  Buyers remorse! Do you drop ship ?

She said it is defective, so that would not be remorse and it would not matter what the seller had for a return policy.

Did you check the date before you sent it out to make sure it had not expired?

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@modernmacksmagic wrote:

She said it is defective, so that would not be remorse and it would not matter what the seller had for a return policy.

Did you check the date before you sent it out to make sure it had not expired?

How can the buyer know they don't work after just a week? It's not going to kill the fleas and ticks that the dog already brought into the house.

And they are not going to just drop dead while she is looking at her dogs ....

Some things really should not be returnable. Kinda like taking an open bag of potato chips back to the store because they didn't like the taste. 

And they obviously can't be returned in the same condition they were shipped in.

sellers don't have to accept returns on items that have been used, altered, etc in any way from its original condition

@abrakadebbra wrote:

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

@ezziee wrote:

sellers don't have to accept returns on items that have been used, altered, etc in any way from its original condition

@abrakadebbra wrote:

How was it altered?  The only way to know if an item is defective is to use it.

That would be more for someone who buys a ring, has it made smaller and decides something is wrong with it.

Has a piece of clothing altered. 

Changes the product to make it fit or work in a way it was not intended for.

Someone mentioned drop shipper, which is why I asked if the OP checked the expiration date.

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ezziee wrote:

@abrakadebbra wrote:

That would be more for someone who buys a ring, has it made smaller and decides something is wrong with it.

Someone mentioned drop shipper, which is why I asked if the OP checked the expiration date.

Flea collars are considered used right out of the box, also, I'm not sure about dog flea collars but the ones I get for my cat you actuall have to cut them in order to fit them. 

There are certain things that should be considered as used when opened. You can't sell an opened can of food, right? Well, the flea collars I get come sealed in their packaging. Same difference, they start working once they have been unsealed.

Bigmotormania
Message 9 of 48
latest reply

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/buyer-wants-a-refund-after-using-the-product/m-p/26958...

You've already made two posts about this over the course of two weeks.  Stop.  You were already told what to do.  If she sends you them in a condition that was not as sent, call ebay, and take pictures.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

IF THE ITEMS WERE BRAND NEW IN SEALED PACKAGES AND YOUR BUYER OPENED THEM AND USED THEM THEY CANNOT BE RETURNED IN THE SAME CONDITION YOU SENT THEM AND NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT A RETURN.  You obviously will not get them back in the condition you sent. 

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Mind responding to the right person?

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

@bigmotormania - I agree.  When I got my oldest cat,  was a complete noob.  I researched everything from food to shots.  It was advised in one article not to buy "used" items for dogs/cats, which is why I make their beds.  I won't purchase them from the pet stores because others bring their pets in and too many germs for me, so I custom make them.  I even purchased a stroller for my oldest because when I took her for shots at Petco - the carts were filthy dirty.  I cleaned and steamed her carrier as soon as I returned home.  

There are certain items that are not returnable which is dependent on local and State laws.  How eBay and buyers think that they can override them is beyond me.

I would not accept the return, there would be no refund and gladly accept the defect and red donut

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ezziee wrote:

@abrakadebbra wrote:

Because it was new and now its used  The condition has been altered 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 14 of 48
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@ezziee wrote:

Because it was new and now its used  The condition has been altered 

Thank you for having a clear enough brain to know that 'altered' can mean anything that is different than what its original condition was as received by seller- DUH!

Message 15 of 48
latest reply