cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal even for a new seller to have no sales whatsoever? 3 months!

I have had listings live on eBay for three consecutive months now, and have had only one sale. I recently followed a number of suggestions I received here on the forum to get more views and sales, and am working on them. However, with the listing adjustments I am working on aside, my listings are not bad at all and are very much in line with other listings I see in the same category. 

Is it "normal" at three months, to have had only one sale? Surely it can't be or no one would be left here to sell.

Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: Is it normal even for a new seller to have no sales whatsoever? 3 months!

@ignatia

Your template is NOT mobile friendly.

And the n00bspeak/chatspeak/1337 spelling of your username in the description is off-putting and makes you look unprofessional.

This is what your description looks like on my Samsung S7

Screenshot_20181104-094351.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 31 of 101
latest reply

Could it be because you are in Canada and shipping is expensive for US buyers?

Message 32 of 101
latest reply

Sorry, didn't notice others pointed that out. I personally love crystals and collect them from an annual gem and mineral show.  Your crystals are very pretty but I imagine I could get similar from a US seller. 

Message 33 of 101
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

And you seem to be very smart, analytical, and reasonable, all of which will stand you in good stead.

And you seem to be very smart, analytical, and reasonable, all of which will stand you in good stead.

Thank you for your kindness! It is inspiring at this moment in time when the weight is intense.

Message 34 of 101
latest reply

I would say 50/50. depending on what your listing, prices, shipping etc... But there is a book that has a lot of info. It's called How to Buy, Sell & profit on eBay. its a really good read and tons of info that just may help you with your current problem.
The author of the book is Adam Ginsberg. check it out and keep the community updated on your future success.
Message 35 of 101
latest reply

@ignatia

"I work from desktop, I cannot use a mobile because there is no signal where I am, I write my listings as is logical given my own experience."

You have been given an example of how a listing looks on a mobile device.

You should be able to check your listings by using "mobile-friendly checker" (located on the far right when doing Item description) to see how they appear to those looking.  Many buyers are now using mobile.

Message 36 of 101
latest reply

@ignatia wrote:

Thank you for your kindness! It is inspiring at this moment in time when the weight is intense.

You're welcome!  I wish you good luck.

Message 37 of 101
latest reply

mobile checker.jpgmobile checker 2.jpg

Message 38 of 101
latest reply

@marrie-69 wrote:
I would say 50/50. depending on what your listing, prices, shipping etc... But there is a book that has a lot of info. It's called How to Buy, Sell & profit on eBay. its a really good read and tons of info that just may help you with your current problem.
The author of the book is Adam Ginsberg. check it out and keep the community updated on your future success.

A book about eBay from 2005? 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 39 of 101
latest reply

You unfortunately have much to learn. I've been at this for over 2 decades, and am looking to dump what inventory I have left and leave internet selling after the new tax **bleep**. eBay should be allowing us to refuse to sell to the states that now require the new tax collection, but they aren't. Essentially, I hate to say it, you'll find out that what's "fair, right, expected of customers, etc." doesn't exist as you'd hope on here. And yes if people can buy what eBay is recommending to them as the equivalent at a hugely discounted price overseas, they're going to. Fact of life.
Message 40 of 101
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I echo those that say it's the shipping cost and time.  Delivery to me in PA, if bought today would be Nov 26-Dec 12, at a cost of $12 for an $8 item.  I just don't think you can compete with US sellers with free shipping delivered within a wk or so. 

To me that screams "Dropshipper", and I will hit the back button and go buy from elsewhere, even if it's from Hong Kong.

@ignatia

go look up terms that geologists and gemologists use for the stones, you're missing out on a much larger niche. Get rid your user name in the title. All it does is make you seem egotistical

Message 41 of 101
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I echo those that say it's the shipping cost and time.  Delivery to me in PA, if bought today would be Nov 26-Dec 12, at a cost of $12 for an $8 item.  I just don't think you can compete with US sellers with free shipping delivered within a wk or so. 

Well what you are saying may not be the ideal for everyone, but it has no bearing on why I am getting no views. The shipping cost is what it is. Some items are over two centimeters (far higher cost to mail) or are somewhat fragile to be shipped in a simple bubble mailer. If people want a certain item, they are surely going to be willing to wait for it to get to them, as long as it may take. But they have to see the listing to make that choice.

As I see others selling successfully with as high shipping charges in my niche, I am going to assume that is not part of the problem. I do not deny that it has an effect and that it narrows the market--when people actually view my items.

My only thought is to offer more expensive items to justify the $12 shipping cost.......

It is something I had already considered and have begun working on. But as well, most buying crystals are collectors and will veer toward buying more to offset shipping. I offer combined shipping, so they do get a break when they purchase multiple items. This is stated in my description. However, this doesn't have any bearing on why people are not viewing my listings. If and when they do view them it will potentially encourage more to buy. But so will having some less expensive items to encourage them to buy in multiples to offset shipping costs.

...but even that is not going to overcome the delivery time. 

Though this is something I cannot change, other sellers are selling successfully despite longer delivery times. As a buyer I purchase from people who have the item I want, and how long shipping may potentially take does not enter into the equation until such time it looks that the item won't arrive at all. Again, it doesn't explain why I'm getting no views.  I am getting averagely ten per month per item.

If it doesn't raise the cost.........since you have a store, I would sure put up a shipping promotion to encourage multiple sales to one buyer, I would also completely use all the listings available for the store......you only have 41 up now. 

I am currently working on both of these points; I too believe they will help. The shipping promotion is already mentioned, but as you suggest, some may need to be told in a different way. I feel combined shipping as an offer, is pretty clear already though.

But to be blunt........it's going to be very difficult to compete in the US, and you only ship to US and Canada.  Don't know how high shipping to other countries might be, but you might consider international shipping if it would seem competitive. 

I have great reservations about shipping internationally for two reasons. First, there are customs restrictions on certain mineral items sent to some regions. And as well, some of the items I carry are costly, and to stand the chance to lose big due to a customer not bothering to check into customs restrictions, seems too large of a risk to take. Too, I can't take the time to do a global study on what I can ship where to compensate for that. I have a hard enough time finding out what I can and can't bring into Canada.

I appreciate all of these suggestions, and am not countering them per se, but I think it's clear to see from what's now emerged, that the main problem is not that people are seeing my listings and not buying, but rather, that they are not seeing nor buying.

Message 42 of 101
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

@ignatia

Search "crystals" and then filter by "completed listings". eBay does not appear to be the best avenue for your category niche/products. 

I have done that, and it appears that the term "crystals" is too broad, as all that comes up is rubble. Someone pointed a highly relevant point on this earlier on in this thread, that my niche revolves more around longer keywords, such as "tangerine quartz points," and similar. I planning to study each specific term, to see how it applies across the board and also how it relates to the more successful sellers.

I see with this one term for example, that there's one sucessful seller at times that tangerine quartz (that may be listed by various titles, as there are others that can rightly be used) makes up most of their sales. And furthermore it needs to be said, there are some highly successful crystal sellers on eBay. Though not ideal it is one of the better options, it seems.

Message 43 of 101
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Is it "normal" at three months, to have had only one sale? Surely it can't be or no one would be left here to sell.

No, it it is not "normal". But that does not mean there is anything wrong - it could be an issue with pricing, descriptions, photographs, demand, or overall appeal. 

Or also that as we've seen earlier in this thread, one former Powerseller lost all of their sales and traffic, as well as their Powerseller status, within this same precise period of time I am referring to--the last three months. This is not us, this is eBay. Something has happened.

Message 44 of 101
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@ignatia

Your template is NOT mobile friendly.

And the n00bspeak/chatspeak/1337 spelling of your username in the description is off-putting and makes you look unprofessional.

This is what your description looks like on my Samsung S7

Screenshot_20181104-094351.jpg

I have been told that all templates look like this on mobile. I cannot tell by my own means, as I cannot connect solidly to a signal here, thus cannot have a phone. 

You are implying that I come across as simple because I know who Babalon as opposed to Babylon is and you do not? Put the phone down and do some research, then you will see how unstupid the term is. It is the name of a Thelema goddess.

Message 45 of 101
latest reply