cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay Forcing you to use Promoted Listings to Sell your Items?

I want to bring to the attention of the eBay community a trend i have seen on my account and see if anyone else has been experiencing the same trend on theirs. 

During 2023, i have noticed that the only way i am selling my items is if they are Promoted. If i choose not to Promote them, they will not sell, nor will any traffic be generated to the listings. I have used Terapeak to better my titles, take actual pictures of my items, describe the items well and am a Top Rated Seller. 

As of June 15, 2023, i have spent $241 on Promotions. At this same point last year, i had spent $58 on Promotions. 🤔

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Is eBay Forcing you to use Promoted Listings to Sell your Items?

I agree, I feel eBay does force us to use promotion listings, I wish these fees were not so high.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

No, it's a voluntary program.

I don't use it and I'm doing just fine.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

I stop promoting all of my stuff back on March.  Getting force into doing some thing, I just do the opposite.  

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

I choose to use PL, the majority of my sales are not sold through PL. So no, eBay isn’t forcing me to use PL it’s a choice I made.

I promote at 2% and nothing more. 

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

I have long tail items that have never sold in 3-5 years. They still are not selling while being promoted. 

The new items that I am listing are selling fine without being promoted. Good products, good prices.

The items need to be desirable to sell with or without promoted listings

Posting ID
Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

I choose to use PL, the majority of my sales are not sold through PL. So no, eBay isn’t forcing me to use PL it’s a choice I made.

I promote at 2% and nothing more. 

I also promote but not everything I sell is promoted.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 47
latest reply

Every category is different; and then every 'status' of that category is different so there is NO 'formula' that covers all

New Car Mats- simply look at "HOW MANY" others are listed; that will tell you what to do

Used Shoes- simply 'look' at "HOW MANY" others are listing; that will tell you what to do. 

etc.etc. 

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

No. Everyone should stop using PL. Actually, everyone who uses it should have never started using it. Why is/was it never obvious that the PL scam is just the inverse of racing to the bottom? You will still ultimately lose profit, but instead of buyers benefiting from the low prices of sellers dumb enough to work for free or at a loss, eBay is gaining profits.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

According to eBay's metrics page on average about 60% of my page views come from a Google search not an eBay search. And I don't pay them either.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

That is not true. I make a profit on every sale. I incorporated my fees into the price of my items(FVFs, PL fee and shipping).

If you’re not making a profit then you’re not doing something right. 

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Personally, I don't care HOW much ebay makes in profits.   I wish them all the best.

Whatever it costs me to sell my widgets is added right on to the price to purchase.  It is a component, like shipping, fullfillment, cost of good sold, etc, etc ... and profit.

Advertising is a cost ... if it costs me 4 cents per unit to advertise it ... that is added to the end price.  

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I have long tail items that have never sold in 3-5 years. They still are not selling while being promoted. 

The new items that I am listing are selling fine without being promoted. Good products, good prices.

The items need to be desirable to sell with or without promoted listings

Yep. Some items are really dependent on the right buyer coming along, and there may only BE one or two right buyers out there. In the case of an item like that, promoting them isn't going to do anything.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Honestly, what I see going on with eBay for the past few months - massive backend upgrades or entire swaps which are being done incrementally and piecemeal. In that process, eBay is forced to make certain concessions to keep the live eBay service running, but is having a negative impact on visibility at times. It seems eBay is running two different server clusters, one is a mirror and the other the live, but the mirror is only fractional of the live. It seems they're doing modifications to the mirror, onlinging it for a period for testing, then switching back to the live. Seems to be that they're doing this to various modules of the backend OS, such as just with the search at times, or just with the payment processing, etc. 

All of this amounts to the illusion that eBay is throttling us as the fractional mirroring, which is likely being done for categories and sorting/filtering sub-categories, will only contain a portion of the relevant listings. IE - for "best match", the depth of the cache is limited to those who place in the top 0.5% of the top in the Listing Quality Report. Or, IE - the lowest priced 2% of listings for the Low to High sort. 

Of course, what I'm saying is purely speculative, but over the past 20 years I have talked to many former eBay employees and they had explained that certain site improvements were impossible without a complete remake of the engine behind eBay due to poor coding. And, now, I'm suddenly seeing some of these upgrades come to fruition, such as 24 photos in a listing, among others, which were previously stated to be an impossibility with the previous backend 'OS'. 

That's my two cents. I still don't like what eBay is doing with promoted, among other things, but I also am very optimistic that eBay is finally putting the massive amount of resources it has to good use and taking on the impossible task of fixing the tether that has kept it from advancing for so long. 

In the meantime, be aggressive if you're struggling. Make sure you're selling desirable items. Make sure you're priced as competitive as you can. Make sure that you don't waste opportunities to move your merchandise. Source more items in less saturated categories. List good quality items and irresistible prices, be aggressive with offers, and force sales. When eBay is on, it's still on. But when it's off, like yesterday and the day before, it's time to take advantage of that traffic you had over the previous days and force the issue. 

That's my best advice. Stay the course. eBay will likely be better than it ever has been in the future. 

If I'm anywhere in the ballpark of what's actually going on behind the eBay scenes, then they can't be transparent about it. So, I must speculate and this is my best approximation. Best of luck to you all!

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Welcome to the new eBay! To answer your question, YES, if you can afford it. Unfortunately, their traditional relationships with small-time sellers have become the sacrificial lamb, in order to appease the profit gods. The real money is in large sellers and retailers, who can afford to pay for PL & PPC. Those who cannot are considered as an "acceptable" loss in their numbers. 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply