cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Ebay holding everyone’s money till it ships or shows delivered?

First they were not holding my money. Then when I sent out package next day after sale cause it was weekend it went to hold money till delivery.  After a week or so it was hold money till ships. Now get a sale at 8 pm last night and time to hold the money again until delievery. As a new seller I can understand how ebay wants to ensure sellers ship but now it’s going backwards.  Are they are holding everyone’s money since they went to managed payments. Is that so?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

They often subject new sellers to holds.......which can be up to 21 days........from what I can tell via various sellers commenting on it.......seems to be somewhat based on the type of item, the price, and # of sales of the seller.  Electronics, higher priced items seem be held longer than most.....  and a "new" pattern of sales can also trigger holds even for established sellers.....  The "new" seller holds will be lifted after a certain # of sales (can't remember the #), but all of us can still be subjected to them.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

...this is the reason people tended to favor PayPal than MP  => up front paid...

...few days ago, one of my sales was completed in delivery, got a positive feedback from buyer but...the payment was still in processing at the time...

...please no excuses as obviously MP is making profit as earning interest from freely using seller's funds by holding them...

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

The primary difference between PayPal™ and (mis)Managed Payments is that PayPal™ (for the vast majority of sales) didn't have to go out and get the money first. They have it there and were able to simply transfer if from one PayPal™ account to another PayPal™ account. That's why you had immediate access to it. If you recall, any buyer who chose to pay with "electronic check" didn't show as paid until that e-check cleared and they had the money. (I don't recall if it worked that same way for CC purchases.)

Adyen N.L., on the other hand, doesn't have the money - they've got to get it from the buyers account first and that is what the processing time is all about. And as others have already mentioned, new sellers (and even established sellers) can have holds placed on their funds for any, or no, reason at all. 

Not making excuses, as I'm in total agreement that the new system sucks - just clarifying why you were "up front paid" before and no longer are.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

...thank you for that verification...

...that also explains enough why MP does not back up for sellers in credit cards charged back or transaction disputes...

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@vintageaficionados wrote:

Are they are holding everyone’s money since they went to managed payments. Is that so?

I have 6 selling accounts that have been in managed payments for 6 months, and I have not had a hold placed on the funds from any of my sales.

My funds become 'available' a day or two after the buyer pays, and all of my available funds are always included in my weekly payouts.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I am in the same boat as a seller and I am so upset. First off, I have been investing $60.00 dollars a week sometimes in shipping cost alone. Safe community my butt. Ebay has my money on hold since May 7th. I upload tracking every time. As of now I have over $700.00 dollars on hold for 3 weeks!  All shipments confirmed and delivered. Not only that a customer literally told me she left negative feedback by mistake and ebay wouldnt allow it to be removed! What. In. The. Bananas is going on ebay?!  I get they want to make sure people are recieving items but this is ridiculous. I want to deactivate my account asap and recieve money for the products I invested in. Not okay! 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@krima470  - try again to see if they will remove the FB or ask your buyer to.  if the Buyer left it in error, they should agree to a FB revision from you.

Evidently all new or sellers who sell infrequently are now subject to the 21 day hold when starting out or selling something of a higher dollar value.  The only good news about this is once they turn it loose, unless there are buyer issues, typically, the hold is not evoked again.

We all started out slowly where you are - welcome to e-Bay and unfortunately, patience is hard to remember, but extremely important so that you get thru this phase and onto more normal selling.  Kill your customers with kindness, stay on top of all tracking and you should be fine.

Best wishes on your future sales!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

>Are they are holding everyone’s money since they went to managed payments. Is that so?

That is correct.

@krima470 

Same boat here as you and the OP.   Six items out, five show as delivered to the "buyer".  Haven't been paid anything since May 20 for any of these six items.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

managed payments is the eBay way to generating more cash for themselves. they didn't do this because it was an even proposition, they did it because they're going to make more money doing things this way. there is a conflict with how they are doing business at this point. they can hold your funds even though the people transacting the exchange of funds has obviously settled and eBay is holding the funds. there are other things that eBay can have as important considerations as well. they could be getting favorable terms on something and not actually receiving interest if they tell you that they don't receive interest on the funds that are hoping held. maybe they get better rates for processing or a better line of credit or who knows what they get.

it boils down to a system that has lost transparency, only really works well on behalf of the platform and not so much for the sellers anymore. now there are lots of people that will say oh I don't have any problems but I think that you will find that by and large if they just do this kind of activity to 10 or 20% of the transactions, it's a huge amount of money. it is in some way shape or form a profit center for them or they would not have it in place. I'm sure they have some corporate double speak PR line that is meant to distract you from the reality of what's going on but I think a good dose of discovery during litigation would show exactly what they're up to.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@vintageaficionados 

>Is Ebay holding everyone’s money till it ships or shows delivered?

Nope. I don't ship until eBay's payout hits my bank. I add, "Item(s) prepared for shipment on my receipt of cleared payment from eBay. Up to 15 business days handling time.", to my item descriptions and ship when I want to, not when eBay says I should.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

No, but I wasn't considered a new seller when I switched over to MP. I did have a hold for a week or two with PayPal on my first few sales though. And for whatever reason a guy I worked with had his money held a lot when using PayPal. Not sure if it was an issue with his account, the category, or the amount though. But I recall overhearing him multiple times on the phone with PayPal and eBay support about how it's been nearly a month and the money was still not released.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

So...everyone is wrong, lying, deserving, dreaming, or what?  I don't understand.  I pulled my stuff before the 'hands' got ahold of them. Scared me to death!  Didn't close my account because things might get better and I'd love to go back someday.  Hope springs eternal, I guess, but I totally believe what I'm reading and I have a lot of sympathy.  Many here NEED their money!  This is not a game.  I want ebay to make their profits, but I also want everyone who is making legal, hard-earned income to have their money, too.  Impossible??

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@buyologist-3 wrote:

So...everyone is wrong, lying, deserving, dreaming, or what?  I don't understand.  I pulled my stuff before the 'hands' got ahold of them. Scared me to death!  Didn't close my account because things might get better and I'd love to go back someday.  Hope springs eternal, I guess, but I totally believe what I'm reading and I have a lot of sympathy.  Many here NEED their money!  This is not a game.  I want ebay to make their profits, but I also want everyone who is making legal, hard-earned income to have their money, too.  Impossible??

No...it's just eBay's way of making sure you as a new seller aren't out to scam people. Sell a bunch of XBox controllers that normally might go for $50 and sell them for $20. Then take the money and run. Rinse and repeat.

Newer sellers have to wait a few weeks (maybe longer) until they get their money because eBay doesn't trust you yet. This might also happen if you sell something for a large amount (maybe $1,000+, I don't know). PayPal did the same thing for new sellers. They also held money for various reasons even if you weren't a new seller.

The only thing MP really changed was instead of getting your money fairly immediate because PayPal fronted it, it can take a few days. PayPal did this even before they got the money because the buyer and/or seller was trusted enough in their eyes. However, waiting a couple days is fairly normal with credit card processors to where you'll maybe get your money a business day or two after the nightly batch settles.

As for wanting their money, great. But these are the rules you signed up for. Once you get past the holding period, you'll usually get your money within a week of the purchase date depending on the cash out setting you select (daily vs weekly). Other sites don't even release the money until a few days after the item was delivered. And then you have to transfer it yourself. Or in Amazon's case (unless it's different now), about 3 - 4 weeks after the purchase date.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Yes! They started holding my funds with my last sale, but not for the ones before. I sold and shipped on 02/10/2022, and I’m told my money will be held until 02/24/2022!! This is criminal!!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply